Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 12:34   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars

Now Apple into self driving car ?!
Quote:
A mysterious minivan with an unknown apparatus on its roof is cruising around the Bay Area, creating speculation it may be a prototype of a self-driving vehicle – this time made by Apple.
About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-apple_van.jpg
Source: Mystery Van Could Be Apple’s Entry In Effort To Develop Driverless Vehicle
Old 13th April 2015, 16:00   #227
Senior - BHPian

15 students from Gujarat have developed something remarkable:

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-ccegjflukaa_amw.jpg

Quote:
In a record 28 days, 15 Gujarati students developed the prototype of a car which can reach 100 kmph autonomously, controlled via an Android application. With the help of 18 cost-effective sensors, the students developed a dynamic model that also perceives environmental concerns.

The invention comes at a time when Google demonstrated its own driverless car which does away with all conventional controls including the steering wheel.

The car was displayed at Dextra Tech-fest at Amiraj College of Engineering and Technology on Wednesday. Talking about the innovation, Professor Kaushal Jani said: "It can be aptly described as a next generation robo fighter, which can also run on unmapped roads."

The vehicle has five seats, a screen displaying the route, and a top speed of 100kmph. An array of sensors allows the vehicle's computer to determine its location and surroundings. The car is also equipped with six sophisticated night-vision cameras to prevent accidents.

Developed at the cost of Rs 3 lakh, the car could be a boon for people with disabilities and transform the marketplace, Prof Jain said.
Source: TOI

Image Source: deshgujarat
Old 14th May 2015, 15:02   #228
BHPian

Google reveals lessons learned

The View from the Front Seat of the Google Self-Driving Car

Lots of interesting insights in the article
Quote:

< snip >

It’s hard to know what’s really going on out on the streets unless you’re doing miles and miles of driving every day. And that’s exactly what we’ve been doing with our fleet of 20+ self-driving vehicles and team of safety drivers, who’ve driven 1.7 million miles (manually and autonomously combined). The cars have self-driven nearly a million of those miles, and we’re now averaging around 10,000 self-driven miles a week (a bit less than a typical American driver logs in a year), mostly on city streets.In the spirit of helping all of us be safer drivers, we wanted to share a few patterns we’ve seen. A lot of this won’t be a surprise, especially if you already know that driver error causes 94% of crashes.

< snip >

Old 26th June 2015, 10:02   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this interesting news. Would have been even more interesting if an actual collision took place.

A case of AI road rage?

News link.

Quote:
2 Rival Self-Driving Cars Have Close Call in California
World | Reuters | Updated: June 26, 2015 07:43 IST

CALIFORNIA: Two self-driving prototype cars, one operated by Google Inc and the other by Delphi Automotive Plc, had a close call on a Silicon Valley street earlier this week, a Delphi executive told Reuters on Thursday.

It was believed to be the first such incident involving two vehicles specially equipped for automated driving.

The incident occurred Tuesday on San Antonio Road in Palo Alto, said John Absmeier, director of Delphi's Silicon Valley lab and global business director for the company's automated driving programme, who was a passenger in one of the cars.

RELATED
Google Chromebox for Meetings Bundle Launched for Larger Rooms
Five Awkward Emails Google's 'Undo Send' Will Save You From
Google Data Centre to Rise in Former Power Plant
No collision took place.

Google declined to comment.

Absmeier was a passenger in a prototype Audi Q5 crossover vehicle equipped with lasers, radar, cameras and special computer software designed to enable the vehicle to drive itself, with a person at the wheel as a backup.

As the Delphi vehicle prepared to change lanes, a Google self-driving prototype - a Lexus RX400h crossover fitted with similar hardware and software - cut off the Audi, forcing it to abort the lane change, Absmeier said.

The Delphi car "took appropriate action," according to Absmeier.

Delphi's Silicon Valley lab is based in Mountain View, not far from Google headquarters. While Delphi is running two Audi prototypes in California, Google has been testing more than 20 Lexus prototypes.

On Thursday, Google started testing self-driving vehicle prototypes of its own design on local streets. The latest prototypes use the same software as the Lexus vehicles.

Both companies previously have reported minor collisions of self-driving cars with vehicles piloted by people. In most of those cases, the self-driving car was stopped, typically at an intersection, and was rear-ended by another vehicle.

In all cases, the self-driving prototype was not at fault, according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles and the companies
Old 17th July 2015, 10:51   #230
Team-BHP Support

Interesting development here

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...1-1370099.aspx

Quote:
Google Inc revealed on Thursday that one of its self-driving car prototypes was involved in an accident for the first time. In the collision, a Lexus SUV that the tech giant outfitted with sensors and cameras was rear-ended in Google's home city of Mountain View, where more than 20 prototypes have been self-maneuvering through traffic.

The three Google employees on board complained of minor whiplash, were checked out at a hospital and cleared to go back to work following the July 1 collision, Google said. The driver of the other car also complained of neck and back pain.
Old 17th July 2015, 12:35   #231
BHPian

Some more details here

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/tec...?homepage=true
Old 17th July 2015, 13:52   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Interesting development here
In this specific case self-driving car worked properly (stopped since it noticed congestion ahead) , while another human-driver car rear ended it.
Old 17th July 2015, 22:40   #233
BHPian

Some great articles on the google autonomous cars.

Quote:
About 33,000 people die on America’s roads every year. That’s why so much of the enthusiasm for self-driving cars has focused on their potential to reduce accident rates.
source
https://medium.com/backchannel/the-v...r-46fc9f3e6088

And some more on the recent crash

Quote:
Summer is one of the most dangerous times of the year on U.S. streets, as many of us spend more time behind the wheel, heading out for long road trips or local barbecues. The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, for example, has declared the period between Memorial Day and Labor Day to be “The 100 Deadliest Days” for teenage drivers — and they’re not on the roads alone. Statistics like this keep my team and me working hard on a fully self-driving car that can get you from A to B safely, no matter how many beverages you have by the pool or how many texts you send to the new friend you met there.
https://medium.com/@chris_urmson/the...2-8d5e2990101b

Some food for thought, the number of fatalities on the road in India in 2013 = 238,562!
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:49   #234
Team-BHP Support

A really good video on PID control (which applies to a lot of things beyond just self-driving cars):

Old 7th August 2015, 13:12   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

The spread of driverless cars will be gradual but I suspect in between 20 to 35 years they can become mainstream in stages. Once driverless cars become widespread in a couple of advanced countries like Sweden or Austria then all of a sudden the current driver-needed cars will look as outmoded as handwritten inland letter forms. Cars in 1900 were known as horseless carriages much the same way we refer to autonomous cars as driverless today. In the beginning horseless carriages looked like horse drawn carriages and gradually evolved a shape of their own which we love today. Similarly today's experimental driverless cars look like driver-needed cars and will in 10 years look something completely different (just look at the car pods being experimented with). For some chaotic time I guess both variants will co-exist then some roads and area will be banned for conventional cars and then slowly more and more. Who knows trucks might actually move to the driverless version first at least for 95% of their journey and only need a 'driver navigator pilot' for the first and last mile to negotiate the confusing city portions - much like a harbour navigation pilot who steers the big cargo ship into and out of the harbour. If I live long enough I might see a time where driver-needed cars become a hobby to be indulged in clearly defined areas much like horse riding is today.

I realize these could be unpopular views to pout on a car lovers forum but driverless cars taking over does seem rather more possible than it was in 1995 to imagine that over half of India's population will carry cell phones. Like all fundamental change it will cause job dislocation - drivers, cleaners, way side dhabas etc. I guess a lot of homework still needs to be done on algorithms to cover the million scenarios that a driver faces.

Today when I show my kids old photos of my great grandfather touring on horseback in 1899 it surprises them as quaint and other worldly. I can well imagine my children's grand children, in 2070, looking at some faded photo of me standing next to my car and exclaiming - ghosh did bade dadu (great grand father) actually drive that around.
Old 10th December 2015, 16:43   #236
BHPian

Chinese tech giant's modified Autonomous BMW 3 Series

The Chinese sure are surging ahead as far as technology is concerned. Baidu modified a BMW 3 series and completed a successful 30KM autonomous drive in Beijing.

Image Source: http://www.benzinga.com/news/15/12/6...us-tests-in-be

The ground work done here is commendable.
Attached Thumbnails
About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-biducar.jpg  

KomS_CarLog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:28   #237
BHPian

Re: Chinese tech giant's modified Autonomous BMW 3 Series

Did a little more search on Baidu - the Chinese web services tech giant (referred to as the Google of China) and found this. This firm is really doing some high tech research and development. They plan to mirror/surpass Google in self-drive cars, and have partnered with BMW in this quest! Wish we had similar stuff in India too -

Quote:
About IDL:
Baidu launched the Institute of Deep Learning in 2013. The team’s focus areas include image recognition, machine learning, robotics, human-computer interaction, 3D vision and heterogeneous computing.
They also have an Artificial Intelligence lab in Silicon Valley too
Quote:
Welcome to SVAIL:
The mission of the Silicon Valley AI Lab is to develop AI technologies that we believe will have a significant impact on the lives of at least 100 million people. Our research is built on the powerful combination of deep learning, large datasets and high performance computing. In fact, SVAIL has both deep learning and systems research teams that work hand in hand to explore the latest in deep learning algorithms as well as find innovative ways to accelerate AI research with new hardware and software technologies.
http://research.baidu.com/institute-of-deep-learning/

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 11th December 2015 at 10:36.
Old 11th December 2015, 15:28   #238
BHPian

Samsung enters self-driving car components biz

Samsung has decided to enter self-driving car component business. This augurs well for the common man
Quote:
SEOUL: Share prices of Samsung Electronics and some of its key affiliates rose today after the company unveiled a plan to develop components for self-driving cars, entering a market eyed by rivals including Apple.
The new automotive component team will "focus on building its competencies in infotainment and autonomous driving vehicles", the South Korean electronics giant said in its annual business reorganization plan announced yesterday.
Source:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/50123698.cms
Old 12th December 2015, 01:45   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

not sure if something like this is already somewhere shown. I was in Palo Alto, California, last week and I saw quite a few of these bumming around.

Never got the change to get a good close up. But there were endless bit and pieces sticking out of it. All sorts of sensors I assume.

Google uses these cars to develop their autonomous vehicle. They drive around, still with somebody behind the wheel, but not touching anything.

It's quite an impressive technology but from what I have seen and learned at Stanford, it might be a while before we see true autonomous cars hitting the roads big time.

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1449864600.028736.jpg
Old 14th December 2015, 16:13   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
not sure if something like this is already somewhere shown. I was in Palo Alto, California, last week and I saw quite a few of these bumming around.
I have not seen a self-driving car in real. But I have seen the Google map car up and close

Google is in news again (check out this), for good reasons. The device you see on the roof of a Google self-drive car is a revolving laser camera unit that helps map the surroundings and create 3D maps in real time. Sounds cool! But this unit costs a lot. So Google is now eyeing on designing & manufacturing this device internally or at least having a greater role in the design (when manufactured by a 3rd party). The idea is to reduce the cost of this important component - so that self drive cars don't cost a fortune

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 14th December 2015 at 16:18.

Most Viewed