Team-BHP - Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/90145-report-pics-mercedes-benz-r-class-launch-mumbai-edit-now-diesel-too.html)

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-01.jpg

Mercedes seems to be on a launching spree in India and most of them have been CBUs. After the GL SUV and the mega SLS AMG , here comes another one from the Benz stable. The R Class is a cross over and more of a life style vehicle and at first glance reminded me of the typical American people movers. The R Class was launched today at the Grand Hyatt in Mumbai this afternoon and I was there to check it out.

As far as the looks go, I found it to be ugly in some parts and decent looking in others. A side view of the C Pillar will remind you of the CRV. The tail lights seem a lift off from the C Class. Only the petrol variant has been launched for now. The R Class is powered by the 3498cc petrol engine giving out 272 BHP a@ 600 RPM with torque of 350Nm at 2400 to 5000 RPM. The R350 comes with 4Matic(Merc's All Wheel Drive System) and a 7 Speed G-tronic auto tranny. The dash from 0 to 100 comes in 8.4 secs and goes to a top speed of 230 kmph.

Other key points:
I quizzed Mr Debashis Mitra, the Director for Sales and Marketing in India about the diesel and he told me that a diesel launch for the R can be expected in the coming months. Honestly I feel the diesel makes more sense for this crossover. I dont see too many selling in the petrol avtaar but you never know.

The price for the R350L (Long Wheelbase) : Rs.58.79 lakhs (Ex Showroom Mumbai)

On a personal note I must admit that I missed Dr. Aulbur at the launch today. Its always been a pleasure talking to him and he has been a friendly face at all of Merc's previous launches that I have attended.

Some pictures from the event:

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-02.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-03.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-rclass.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-headlight.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-rear.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-steering.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-speedo.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-dash.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-rearseat.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-console1.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-console2.jpg

Report and Pics: Mercedes Benz R Class launch in Mumbai. EDIT : Now in Diesel too-last-row.jpg

Decent price, but those alloys loo prehistoric and make the car look uglier.Even the interior looks 90s. Why did they deviate from their original plans to fit the vehicle with 5 twin spoke light alloys? The 350 CDI will come Q1 2011.

Could resist - that's the worst looking Merc that I've ever seen.

Whats the presafe package all about ?? & what...8 airbags ,is it ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo (Post 2098345)
Whats the presafe package all about ?? & what...8 airbags ,is it ???

PRESAFE is Merc's occupant protection system which prepares the passengers for a possible accident using sensors from Brake Assist and ESP. If these sensors detect movemrnts of the car that might lead to an accident, the PRESAFE system acts to protect the passengers.

eg:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 2098039)
Mercedes seems to be

As far as the looks go, I found it to be ugly in some parts and decent looking in others..

Only the petrol variant has been launched for now. The R Class is powered by the 3498cc petrol engine giving out 272 BHP a@ 600 RPM with torque of 350Nm at 2400 to 5000 RPM. The R350 comes with 4Matic(Merc's All Wheel Drive System) and a 7 Speed G-tronic auto tranny. The dash from 0 to 100 comes in 8.4 secs and goes to a top speed of 230 kmph.

Honestly I feel the diesel makes more sense for this crossover. I dont see too many selling in the petrol avtaar but you never know.

The price for the R350L (Long Wheelbase) : Rs.58.79 lakhs (Ex Showroom Mumbai)

On a personal note I must admit that I missed Dr. Aulbur at the launch today. Its always been a pleasure talking to him and he has been a friendly face at all of Merc's previous launches that I have attended.

>>>

Dippy,

IMO this might not do too well on the sales front, as potential buyers might well think of the price and imagine alternative vehicles that they could buy with that kind of money, for what could be termed by some as an upscale Innova/Aria. Buyers will likely go toward the GL or the SUVs (Q7, X5, Range Rover). Is not a good looker at all.

If it has to do well here, it has got to be diesel. The torque doesn't seem enough, however we'll await a full review by t-bhp to reveal its strengths.

The switchgear looks solid, although in a sea of black; a 'dakota leather' colour (dark brown) could have enlivened the interiors. And the wood doesn't jell too well, in my opinion.

Lastly, you've hit the spot re. Dr. Aulburs; I thought he would be around till a suitable replacement could step into his shoes. I interacted with him very briefly, but carry fond memories- very friendly and very informative.

Regards, drive safe

Mercedes Benz India has launched the Diesel version of the R-Class at Rs 58.9L ex Delhi. Now the question is will it find any takers. On cost terms it will be competing with the Q7, X5 and their own ML. I think since the ML does not have seven seats merc is trying to overcome the deficit by launching this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikramv007 (Post 2865942)
Mercedes Benz India has launched the Diesel version of the R-Class at Rs 58.9L ex Delhi. Now the question is will it find any takers. On cost terms it will be competing with the Q7, X5 and their own ML. I think since the ML does not have seven seats merc is trying to overcome the deficit by launching this.

Yes this is a welcome move but i really feel the 70lacs OTR Customer would prefer a Q7 SUV Image to a R350 "Van"/"Soccer Mom" Image.

Diesel will boost sales but in a very negligible manner. I personally have seen only 2 R350s till date on the road.

I personally love the R350 and if i go to the USA, I will buy one and drive.

Mercedes launched R-class in diesel @58.6 L ex showroom, Here's the launch report from Overdrive :

Launched

Cheers,
Sameer