Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 11:59   #451
BHPian

Re: Steering Feel & Feedback - Your Nominees for the Best & the Worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
How do you guys decide the feedback being good or bad ? I have a Brio and recently got Jetta. The only difference I feel is that steering of Jetta requires more effort while the Brio is effortless. I don't understand the concept of feedback, how it is judged.
Simple. Try both your cars on a twisty piece of tarmac at similar speeds and decide which one gives you more confidence during the turns. On a highway you can monitor the number of steering corrections you need to do to keep the car in a straight line.
In the city the Brio will be effortless because the EPS calibration is made for city use and speeds. Because the calibration is light, it will suffer on the highway and twisties as the steering will feel vague and detached from the wheels. The Jetta on the other hand will be more cumbersome to drive in the city because the steering feels heavy. Again, the EPS is calibrated that way but will excel at speeds giving you a direct feel of the road underneath. It goes where you point it to go.
Porschefire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 12:06   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
How do you guys decide the feedback being good or bad ? I have a Brio and recently got Jetta. The only difference I feel is that steering of Jetta requires more effort while the Brio is effortless. I don't understand the concept of feedback, how it is judged.
Its one of the senses that contribute to the feel/joys of driving. Feedback would include the feeling/weight of the wheel at 'dead centre' position while driving at speed and the amount of firmness/resistance felt while turning corners and twists. The immediacy of response is also a defining feature, like a car changing direction "almost telepathically" to quote the most overused automotive journalism cliche.

Enthusiasts normally do not prefer overly assisted wheels as they numb some feedback which is why the whole EPS vs Hydraulic debate rages on, but some premium and expensive manufacturers manage a great haptic feedback with EPS units as well.

Additionally, its also the feeling you feel through your hands while negotiating road imperfections as it helps you gauge and measure your input in a given situation.
Its a crucial sensation of driving telling you how much you can push your machine in a corner and when to back off based on whether your car under/oversteers.

The best of both worlds would be a steering that is like a Mercedes in a basement parking or a crowded street and a Porsche on the open road

Experts can chime in and correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by Ash_vtec : 9th November 2015 at 12:07.
Ash_vtec is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 12:16   #453
Senior - BHPian

Definitely the Civic followed by the Palio for me (Hydraulic Steerings)

Civic gave me the exact sense of everything on the road, though my friends complained of hard steering at low speed, I preferred it that way!!!
Old 9th November 2015, 13:19   #454

Skoda Laura is my nomination. The steering is so direct that you feel connected and that's what it's all about.
My first post so hello to all fellow members and a happy Diwali !
Old 9th November 2015, 15:42   #455
BHPian

The original Maruti Swift, The linea T Jet and the Honda Civic - in that order for the best

The Tata Indica for the worst that i have driven.

A confusing middle was the optra magnum. I could never get a good grip on the vehicle. It had everything a car should have - in isolation - but would never add together on the road for me.
Old 9th November 2015, 17:07   #456
BANNED

I think the Linea Tjet, Honda Civic, Skoda Octavia(new one) come under the best feedbacks I have seen lately.

Average: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga, Hyundai Creta, Ford Ecosport

Worst: Hyundai i10, Hyundai Santro Xing
Old 9th November 2015, 18:12   #457
BHPian

The best I've experienced would be Maruti Suzuki Esteem (without power steering) and Ford Fiesta (Classic). The worst is Hyundai Eon and Santro :P
Old 16th November 2015, 22:50   #458
Senior - BHPian

Best HPS - S2k, E90 3 series, E46 3 series, Fiesta 1.6S, Ikon rocam, Palio S10/GTX, Cedia, Forester, Civic, Octavia vrs Mk1, Zen carb

Best EPS - New Fiesta, 1st gen Swift, Kizashi, F30 3 series

Good - Laura, Jetta, Fabia, Outlander, Baleno, Corsa

Not Bad - S-Cross, new Baleno, Getz, 1st Gen SX4, Fluence

Bad - Optra Magnum, Cruze, WagonR, Elantra, Aveo, Corolla, Etios

Worst (dead) - Xcent, i10, Creta, Verna, i20, Santro

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th November 2015 at 23:18.
Old 16th November 2015, 23:29   #459
BHPian

Linea T-Jet, Ford (Figo -- not the EAS/EPS one, Classic) remain the top two for me. Ford has gone the wrong way now. I normally drive with one hand, except for negotiating curves/bends.

I simply don't like video-game-like steering at all. Can't stand them for even 10 km of drive within city, forget about driving on highways. M800 on highway, with no PS, feels far better than that.
rusticnomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 15:22   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Worst: Hyundai i10, Hyundai Santro Xing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
The worst is Hyundai Eon and Santro :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Worst (dead) - Xcent, i10, Creta, Verna, i20, Santro
Extremely sorry to differ here but, i didn't find steering of santro to be that sort of worst or dead (using santro from past 8 years), instead it has got better hyraulic steering which has good precision.

Also driving an elite i20 from past 6 months, yes it surely feels disconnected as the steering has got very fast tendency for coming to center position.
Dieseldrifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 17:03   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldrifter View Post
Extremely sorry to differ here but, i didn't find steering of santro to be that sort of worst or dead (using santro from past 8 years), instead it has got better hyraulic steering which has good precision.

Also driving an elite i20 from past 6 months, yes it surely feels disconnected as the steering has got very fast tendency for coming to center position.
Agreed! Santro's hydraulic steering is quite precise and very Un-Hyundai like. The i10 that came after the Santro has one of the worst steering feel that I have experienced. It is so artificial that I can't tell whether the wheels are pointing straight or are turned to a bit when parking the car. BTW I own both cars currently.

Actually the same applies to the suspension also. The i10 has extremely poor dynamics when compared to the Santro which had very predictable and tight road manners. Wonder how Hyundai went from Santro to i10 in these aspects. Don't fix something that's ain't broken!
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 22:07   #462
BHPian

From all the cars I have driven till date: (in no order)

Best:- Astar, (yes it can put some higher segment cars to shame with its handling and steering feedback), M800, Honda Civic, Swift, old fiesta.

Moderate: Punto (felt it to be slightly on the heavier side), Linea, SX4, Santro

Worst: Liva, my 2014 Verna, i10, i20, Logan, Indica

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 22nd June 2019, 13:24   #463
Senior - BHPian

It was by reading this lovely thread, I bought the Fiesta 1.6 eight years ago even without a test drive. A fantastic ownership it has been ever since. Come 2019, the focus on new launches has been the connectivity features.

Among the new cars, I recently drove the new Ford Endeavour to Mangalore. What a disappointing drive it was due to the super light steering. It gave no confidence in the corners compared to my 2012 Fiesta.

My favorite cars for steering feel and feedback still remains the Fiesta and Palio followed by Maruti cars. The worst according to me is i10 and Verna.

Last edited by arun1100 : 22nd June 2019 at 13:26. Reason: Adding words.
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:20   #464
BHPian

I'm looking for a car that delivers good steering feedback like my Linea. It should be responsive, well weighted and most importantly confidence inspiring on quick lane changes (at high speeds) on high ways.

I had a TD on Superb TSI AT and X1 Diesel. Steering feedback on Superb isn't good but I'm still considering it if I don't find a car that suits my needs.

Steering feedback on X1 was very good compared to Superb and I need to do another TD to explore more on this.

Steering feedback and the planted driveability of the car are the most important factors for my next car.
Any suggestions!
GladRagu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 07:48   #465
BHPian

Steering feel and feedback:

Best - Mark V Fiesta/Figo, Linea, Palio

Fair: Safari Storme

Poor: New Santro, Verna, i20, Kwid

The kwid's steering is so weird you've got to do corrections even at city speeds and it has a mind of its own

Most Viewed