Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2014, 18:38   #451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Pardon my ignorance,. But how do we know that these are tow trucks and not trucks used for relocation.
Quite feasible. But then why not extend the same benefit of doubt to Germans too?
Moreover, it's usually easy to spot the difference between a brand new and used vehicle.

Whatever the reason, it's all business for the trucks in any case.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 11:57   #452
Team-BHP Support

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

I found this article quite relevant

http://dougdemuro.jalopnik.com/germa...mer-1572026115
Old 6th May 2014, 12:44   #453
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Quite feasible. But then why not extend the same benefit of doubt to Germans too?
Because German cars are NOT relaible. I heard of a guy who had had it upto his head with these German cars and went back to Accord. I wonder if they are selling on the strength of European pedigree alone.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 13:12   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Because German cars are NOT reliable.
Possibly you're right. You see, we are, after all, a victim to our own perceptions and then of those that are imposed upon us by others.

Some common perceptions (and maybe facts) about German Cars generally-
1. They are loaded with Gizmos, which CAN and WILL fail eventually.
2. They are over-complicated, which again leads to multiple failure points.
3. The vast majority of them are Automatics (market segment + customer preference), and hence they are also most likely to be seen on Flat-beds for even very mundane reasons.
4. A lot of their components are over-engineered, leading to high durability. The Japanese on the other hand, tend to be, just about adequately engineered, that works fine for 99.9% of use cases.
5. They may suffer from poor to average quality control during production leading to reliability issues. The Japanese seem to have perfected this game.
6. The spare parts prices are through the roof, that probably drive the reliability and maintainability perceptions further down.

But, that doesn't mean that there aren't owners of German vehicles, who have had a peaceful ownership or owners of Japanese ones that haven't had a torrid one! Let's not generalize, irrespective of what the author of that link posted above, would have us believe!
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 22:08   #455
P76
BHPian

Amazed to see this thread !. I have a contribution too. Snapped this Audi Q5 taking a 'savari' atop a flatbed. Probably going to the Audi Service center in Ambattur, Chennai. While at the signal, I noticed oil splashed all over the under chassis and exhaust of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-dsc_0143.jpg  

P76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 10:19   #456
Senior - BHPian

Spotted on Tumkur Road.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-imag2601-large.jpg
rjstyles69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 13:48   #457
Senior - BHPian

Today morning witnessed the unpleasant sight of a Black Vento (reg no. 7XXX) getting ready for the flatbed ride to the service center. This was right outside Sobha Developers office building. Sorry no picture as I was driving. There seemed to be no accidental damage whatsoever so looks like some kind of mechanical failure?
Old 30th May 2014, 15:05   #458
BHPian

My brother had a couple of such experiences with his VW Jetta. He lives in a small time town and there was no limits to his embarrassment when neighbors inquire about car's next visit to service station.
The Jetta was recently sold after using for 2 years and this was one of the reason for the decision.
Napo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 12:46   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
For people who keeps singing for Toyota reliability
Sorry for repeat post but file couldn't upload for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20140604_102617.jpg  

aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 18:23   #460
BHPian

This afternoon I saw this beautiful Porsche Boxster towed in a flatbed truck.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-wp_20140609_001.jpg

The problem IMHO is that German cars not properly field tested in environment they are going to sell and unlike Japanese and Korean cars which are developed keeping local conditions in mind
Old 10th June 2014, 11:36   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
3. The vast majority of them are Automatics (market segment + customer preference), and hence they are also most likely to be seen on Flat-beds for even very mundane reasons.
!
Well, most cars sold in the US are automatics and nobody complains of them being unreliable. These cars are used in all extreme conditions and run very high miles.

Most of my diving has been on automatics. Have owned two Honda Accords which were super reliable. Have seen many German automatics too and gearboxes were NOT failing commonly.
Old 10th June 2014, 15:34   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Well, most cars sold in the US are automatics and nobody complains of them being unreliable. These cars are used in all extreme conditions and run very high miles.

Most of my diving has been on automatics. Have owned two Honda Accords which were super reliable. Have seen many German automatics too and gearboxes were NOT failing commonly.
I guess you didn't get my point. Even for a failure, unrelated to the engine or gearbox, if your car needs to be towed, it's not advisable to tow an Automatic, as you would, a Manual. Hence, Automatics are more likely to end up on a flat Bed.
Old 27th June 2014, 10:35   #463
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spotted last evening. Definitely not new and not an accident vehicle either. Appears to be a breakdown.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20140626-20.09.10.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 02:02   #464
BHPian

Very interesting reading this topic because a few months ago our VW Polo was giving some starting trouble with warning signs that the 'Engine Control Unit' or ECU was not ok. A call to the Service Centre resulted in a forceful recommendation for the car to be sent to them via a flatbed truck (cost Rs 2,000). My mother was aghast at this and called up the sales guy (now out of the loop but very friendly nonetheless) to grumble about having to foot this added cost. He ensured they sent a driver + technician home who inspected the car and drove it to the Service Centre (cost Rs 250) and the problem as it turned out was a rat-eaten set of electronic cables/connectors (apparently common problem in our area). It's surprising how the service folks kept recommending a flatbed pickup without a well-informed idea as to what the issue was (unless the ECU error means only one type of problem). So yes I have to agree..there's a German connection with flatbed trucks and its not restricted to only high end Mercs and Audis.
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 19:17   #465
BHPian

One reason for this possibly is that the so called high end car workshops provide free flatbed tow during the warranty period.
I had a case when an X1 refused to start, the problem seemed to be coming from a low battery and a simple jumpstart would have been enough to start the vehicle and send it to the service center
However, the service advisor suggested I use their flatbed instead to avoid any kind of warranty related woes
In the end , it did turn out to be a flat battery which they changed under warranty
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed