Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2017, 11:15   #541
BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Whats the deal here ?
Dead battery? Injectors gone bad?
Coolant leakage. Third time this has happened since I got the car. Second occurrence in 8 months. All the details are covered in greater detail on my ownership thread.
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 00:05   #542
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

The mighty LC200 - don't think the SUV must have given up. But you never know.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-picsart_031707.12.50.jpg  

Old 5th June 2017, 21:55   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this Skoda on a flatbed today. Managed to have a small chat with the driver at the next signal, and as per him, it had issues in gearbox(DSG woes??) and the car had barely done 9,000 kms.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20170605_161202.jpg

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20170605_161302.jpg

PS: Kindly excuse the poor pics, as the truck was moving too fast to click a proper shot.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 13:45   #544
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes ML250 powered by 4BMP (Brake Man Power).
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-psx_20171101_134325.jpg  

v12 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 12:35   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this Lamborghini on a flatbed truck near MG road.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img20171116wa0029.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 12:51   #546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Spotted this Lamborghini on a flatbed truck near MG road.
That was the tax man seizing the young con-man's ill gotten gains. More here
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 22:17   #547
BHPian

I know this thread kind of misleads people as we do not know whether a car on a flatbed is really broken down or being shifted etc but here is a pic of the king himself and from what I gathered ( non reliable sources) the king had starting Issues.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_20171218_221601.jpg  

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 18th December 2017 at 22:18.
rambo1o1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 01:01   #548
BHPian

The post might be off-topic. If so, I request mods to move it to more appropriate thread, I couldn't find one using search option.

A few days ago, I saw a BMW 5 series was about to get towed by a tow truck of traffic police. This happened over Sola flyover which is a bottleneck stretch on S.G Highway during pick hours. The car must have broken down & I saw BMW owner requesting cops not to tow his car when I passed by. Traffic situation had already become bizarre due to BMW occupying one lane (Highway is 6 lanes + 2 lanes service roads on both sides however the bottleneck stretch is just 4 lanes). I couldn't stop & get more details but I assume the car must have been towed by the tow truck & cops couldn't afford to wait for flatbed.

My question here is, how such situation should be handled ideally? This is my daily commute route & whenever I drive my car on that stretch (specially Jetta DSG), I always pray that my car doesn't give up.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 4th February 2018 at 01:02.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 02:41   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Well, make sure you know how your car can be towed. As long as the driven wheels are of the ground it's usually ok. Even with the driven wheels on the ground and the gear in neutral it's usually ok to just move it out of the way.

I don't know the law/legal side of these matters in India. Here in the Netherlands the cops will immediately tow all cars away if they are causing a traffic jam. Whether that is in town or on the highway, due to an accident or otherwise. They will ensure everybody is safe and then just rip away all cars and or truck that are broken down one way or the other, no matter what the reason. Those cars are holding up the traffic, causing tailbacks, this potentially is also dangerous. So they tow you away no matter what, if they damage your car in the process that's tough shit on you too.

I must admit I think it is entirely appropriate. Why should hundreds, sometimes more, people be inconvenienced because of a little fender bender. Or just a car that breaks down, even well maintained, can't hold up hundreds of people and cause chaos.

Admittedly, I have never had my car towed under such circumstances, touch wood. But I have been in plenty of tailbacks stuck for hours because someone had a fender bender and wouldn't move their cars to the side of the road. These days, if you don't move car after an accident, if it's still capable, you are committing an offence and you can get a heavy fine.

In summary, every car that breaks down, be it due to an accident or otherwise needs to be moved out of the way, ASAP into a safe location and not cause any problems for other drivers on the road.

I think that is an excellent principle. If you have a wonky DSG box, that is between you and VW. Why should I get stuck behind you when it packs up?

Jeroen

Last edited by noopster : 7th February 2018 at 14:45. Reason: Check your PM
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 13:37   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, make sure you know how your car can be towed. As long as the driven wheels are of the ground it's usually ok. Even with the driven wheels on the ground and the gear in neutral it's usually ok to just move it out of the way.
Traffic police tow trucks are definitely not flatbed ones here. Only rear wheels would be on ground and the front will be hanging in the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I must admit I think it is entirely appropriate. Why should hundreds, sometimes more, people be inconvenienced because of a little fender bender. Or just a car that breaks down, even well maintained, can't hold up hundreds of people and cause chaos
+1. I also don't believe that what traffic cops did was inappropriate however what precautions can we take as an owner of the car in such situation. Also, will the insurance folks pay for any potential damage done during the towing?

For this particular instance, divorce between BMW & Parsoli Motors (only authorized BMW dealer in Gujarat) must have made the matter worse.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 20:05   #551
Team-BHP Support

Something you'd not expect on a flatbed - A Volvo.

Seen in Gurgaon today evening.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_20180212_161046056.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_20180212_161043223.jpg  

Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 13:40   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Something you'd not expect on a flatbed - A Volvo.

Seen in Gurgaon today evening.
Maybe being just transported after a sale
Old 13th February 2018, 13:58   #553
Team-BHP Support

Oh yes, could be anything. Battery, fuel or an accident (I couldn't see the front part).
Old 14th February 2018, 20:02   #554
BHPian

This is something which I saw for the first time. Reliability king being on a flatbed
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-00cbda5cfa9f429e902f132d95eefe48.jpeg  

ShubhamGhute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 19:36   #555
BHPian

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1521641106.725453.jpg

Two tyres burst on highway. i20 smashed in the divider. All safe.
Prateek19 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed