Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 09:27   #301
BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

No Kidding! The Gdi variant produces 138 bhp and nearly 175 Nm of torque. This coupled with a 1055 kg kerb weight makes for a yummy 0-100 time potential (My guess is close to 9.5 secs - Anyone know actual stats?). Clearly it depends on how smoothly the engine revs to 4k/5k kind of numbers, but then most modern gasoline engines are happy to rev.

This car will eat Civic/Altis/Cruze for lunch and have Fiesta/City/Vento as dessert Love Hyundai for staying on the cutting edge of engine/powertrain technology. Now if they only focused some energies on handling and driving dynamics they'd be worthy of every enthusiast's notice (and share of wallet).
Old 9th February 2011, 09:57   #302
Senior - BHPian

This whole verna story looks like an episode of CID investigation which can put ACP pradyuman to shame.

Till now what we can see is:
  • 1.4 gamma, 100 ps
  • 1.6 gamma, 121 ps
  • 1.6 U2 diesel, 128 ps
No, the petrols wont be GDI. And that figures for the 1.6 diesel look too juicy to me to even consider a petrol. Again, expect the CRDI to outsell the gamma this time. Spy pics show an AT but if that dual exhausts claim to be diesel, then a diesel automatic should be surely on the cards.

Now only if our CID team would crack this case soon...
Old 9th February 2011, 10:04   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
No, the petrols wont be GDI.
I thought Gamma = GDI. Am I wrong?
Old 9th February 2011, 11:52   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
I thought Gamma = GDI. Am I wrong?
Gamma/Kappa etc are the names of families of engines from Hyundai. But not all gamma engines are direct injection (GDI - Gasoline Direct Injection). Some are MPI (Multi Point [Fuel] Injection) and Hyundai sells both alongside. Although why they wouldn't bring GDI tech to India beats me. Not enough petrolheads in the country eh?
Old 9th February 2011, 11:56   #305
Senior - BHPian

Gamma is a name given to a series of Hyundai's new gen gasoline engines, just like alpha (accent 1.5, getz 1.3), beta (2.0 in the 2007-2011 elantra) and theta (sonata 2.4 VTVT) are there. The 1.4 automatic I20 uses this engine and has VTVT tech also with 100 ps.

GDI is nothing but direct gasoline injection, or direct fuel injection in which petrol is directly sprayed onto the cylinder head during the injection cycle without the need of an intake manifold. VW uses this tech and calls it FSI (normal) or TFSI (turbo petrol) engines.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:19   #306
BHPian

Quote:
The joy of configuring and 360 views...enjoy the car from all angles. Will post the other shades later when the flash works properly.
Hey Sid,

Would you mind sharing more pictures? Even better would be if you can share the linky..
Old 9th February 2011, 17:46   #307
Senior - BHPian

To configure:

step one: go to Hyundai Solaris

step two: let the site load for the first 100 percent.

step three: once the background image lights up, it will load further 100 percent since its a flash website.

step four: on the bottom middle right corner, click on "360".
Old 9th February 2011, 20:30   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • 1.6 U2 diesel, 128 ps
No, the petrols wont be GDI. And that figures for the 1.6 diesel look too juicy to me to even consider a petrol.
Any Idea about ride and handling? I got an info stating it will be launched at the end of this year. Too late??
Old 9th February 2011, 22:22   #309
Senior - BHPian

Its a question which cannot be answered until we drive the car. Just wait for end march-early april, when the car will be launched.
Old 10th February 2011, 00:07   #310
BHPian

A report in The mint newspaper - bombay says new verna by year end. I hope they mean financial year and not calendar.
Old 10th February 2011, 08:45   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
A report in The mint newspaper - bombay says new verna by year end. I hope they mean financial year and not calendar.
Hyundai is the Cricket World Cup sponsor. So at the very least it makes sense to announce and take bookings.

Cheers,
Old 10th February 2011, 11:30   #312
BHPian

While everything else about this car seems to be just brilliant, my only doubt is regarding sufficient rear head room for 6 footers!

Last edited by breezydrive : 10th February 2011 at 11:31.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:04   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gamma 1.6L GDI:
The new Gamma 1.6L is the smallest Hyundai engine yet to benefit from the application of Gasoline Direct Injection technology. The inline four develops 140 ps (138 hp, 103 kW)—a 13% improvement over a conventional Gamma 1.6L fed by multipoint fuel injection (MPI).

The new Gamma features a 150-bar direct injection fuel system, Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (DCVVT), a Variable Induction System (VIS) and anti-friction coatings such as CrN Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coating and Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating.

VIS delivers variable air flow based on speed conditions. At low and high speeds, air flows through the short runner, and at mid-range speed it flows through the long runner, helping optimize engine performance over the entire operating range.

Water jacket inserts help maintain a stable temperature balance between the upper and lower blocks.
whether this engine makes it (looks highly unlikely) to the Verna or not, is a different discussion.

However, this should be a slap on Honda/Toyota's face. Hyundai is trying its level best to provide best of technology at affordable prices. In fact, add a turbocharger to it and this engine becomes as advanced as VW's TFSI/TSI technology. Where are our Japanese mighty? It frustrated me to death, when I read some crappy Honda interview where the Honda cheif was explaining why they have no interest in building turbo engines. He said something crappy like ' Turbos are too sensitive to driving styles'. For God's sake, VTEC is now an old technology with every manufacturer offering it. I agree that Honda tends to have the best iteration of it but then the game has moved on SIRR!

The basic Honda blocks are inherently so smooth. Imagine such an engine with direct injection and turbo charging. Toyota is better off, atleast it has diesel engines in its repertoire. I still haven't been able to accept the fact that Honda has fallen behind the [pack in what is supposed to be the single biggest strength in its cars: Petrol engines.

Also, the Japs have to realize that there is only so much efficiency that can be driven out of the 'Hybrids'. A diesel can match or beat Hydrid efficiencies in most cases. Then what's the point of having such complex technology? In any case, if the revolution has to come , it will come when electric cars become affordable. Thats 'cheap to run and efficient' cars in the true sense.

BTW, KUDOS to Hyundai for continuously pushing the technology bar. If a fundoo tech comes in a Merc/BMW, most people cannot access it anyway. But when the same thing comes in Hyundai, its a different story altogether. Now, if they can improve their car's interior quality to the Jap levels (which in some cases thay already have)if not Euros, it will tough to beat them.

I am really keen too see the response to this car. Hyundai is now trying to take on the Japs and Euros on equal footing: On tech , design and engineering. It is no longer 'mostly' trying to push for its cars as being VFM (read cheaper). In the better ineterest of competition, I hope they succeed.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 10th February 2011 at 12:10.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:18   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
While everything else about this car seems to be just brilliant, my only doubt is regarding sufficient rear head room for 6 footers!
Interesting question..

A more indirect thought i would employ to respond is, this car is already being sold in Russia, where the average height of men is definitely more than the Indians.

As much as one may justify that other nations buy cars for self drive purposes and Indians buy them as all rounders, it still comes back to the point of what the average height of the Indian Customer is . We've all been imbibed into "adjusting" to a problem whether it be our own fault or of others.

The simple desi way in this case is "you sit in front" with a cheeky grin ....along with the odd wit "dude, this car is a stonker to drive so i dont care how you fit in and never thought of that when i purchased it " . Mind you, even the tall purchasers and self drive customers would end up saying "i fit in the front, so i didn't think of the back seat....adjust kar lena yaar".

The questions/reasoning remain...
  1. How many time do we pose this statement in a whole year for our choice of car to depend on it . Think the answer is negligible.
  2. What are the sedan options that cater to a 6 footer in the 10lac price limit. I think Logan is the only straightforward contender (another reason for the taxi market lapping it up apart from the amazing engine).
  3. The City doesn't pose a threat on the VFM front and the Vento doesn't on the after sales accessibility front.
Hyundai's international game plan is what I'm starting to admire. This car is also part of their new design and engineering principles which is being admired all over the globe. I just cant wait for this car to prove what can be tagged as VFM even after spending a million rupees!

Heck, general consensus of chit chat amongst potential buyer, friends and this forum itself indicates that we'll be happy even with the existing engine thrown into a beautiful package that handles better than the previous car. Nobody's asking for it to be the best handler even, lol.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:21   #315
BHPian

I actually had zeroed in on Vento in my quest of purchasing a Sedan but the reported delivery issues and poor customer service made me skeptical. I looked up and found RB as a viable alternative; if the launch goes beyond April, however, it'll be a deal breaker for me. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks