Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 21:45   #526
BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

@EARTHed what are you other options if its a good bye to the new Verna. I'm also looking for a diesel car in that segment and your comments might get me somewhere
Old 24th March 2011, 21:46   #527
BHPian

Note from Support: Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. We understand your excitement for the upcoming car but that does not justify posting similar zero value messages repeatedly despite previous warnings.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th March 2011 at 14:18. Reason: see note in post.
sreejinair is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th March 2011, 21:49   #528
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
@EARTHed what are you other options if its a good bye to the new Verna. I'm also looking for a diesel car in that segment and your comments might get me somewhere
I am sorry for the previous comment.

I just love the way Hyundai is growing in India. So I had expected "Handling" to improve so that Hyundai cars be just perfect.

Yes, lets wait and personally test drive the car.

If not Hyundai, it should Linea or New Fiesta.
Old 25th March 2011, 00:21   #529

Hey Guys this is my first post to this thread though i have been following it since past few months as i was personally looking forward towards the launch of new verna for my daily use.
Today i had a word over phone with the guy from dealership who manages my hyundai cars (sonata embera and tuscan ). and he asked me to visit him as he said he already have received the new lots of the new verna.
According to him the launch will be in month of April but he will make me see and TD the car tomorrow privately being an old customer.

Will update you people tomorrow if i find time and visit him .
Old 25th March 2011, 01:19   #530
BHPian

@psycho_maniac cool thing man, please let us know about the test drive, I hope you will take out time for it. The UAE review couldnt tell much about the suspension and thats one important bit when it comes to the Indian roads. Hope you will jump it through a speed bump and rush it through a big dig or something to test the suspension
Old 25th March 2011, 08:56   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Test Drive Report : Courtesy AutoCar

Here is a first drive of the new Verna, a car we think is a quantum leap over the previous model. The latest Verna is the seventh generation one and is built on a completely new platform. The chassis is much stiffer than before and has been optimized for better crashworthiness to meet the increasingly stringent standards in Europe and the US.

The new Verna looks impressive and sports Hyundai’s new ‘Fluidic Sculpture’ design which is a mix of sharply sculpted and flowing lines. The interior design isn’t as cutting edge as the exterior but the dashboard is nicely shaped with a subtle indent on the top. The switchgear feels good and the top-spec India model will get full electronic adjustment. But storage space in the cabin isn’t too generous.

The front seats are quite comfy and there’s fantastic legroom in the rear too. However, like with the previous Verna, the seat is too low and this compromises under-thigh support. Moreover, the corners of the rear seat are rounded off excessively which again leaves you with little thigh support. It’s because of this that the Verna’s rear seat, despite the generous legroom, isn’t as comfy as the Vento or City’s.

The Indian Verna will get two petrols and two diesels, none from the previous Verna. Instead, Hyundai has plonked its latest Gamma petrol and U2 diesel motors under the hood. The pair of petrol and diesels both come with 1.4 and 1.6-litre capacities. It’s the 1.6 diesel which pumps out 126bhp and 26.5kgm of torque which promises to be the cracker.

Hyundai’s new-generation Gamma petrol twin-cam, 16-valve motor comes with continuously variable valve timing and, as a result, power and torque outputs are pretty healthy. The 1.4 delivers 106.5bhp, which is very impressive for a small capacity motor, while the 1.6 Gamma dishes out 122bhp to make it the most powerful engine in its class.

We drove the 1.6 petrol with the auto ’box. Fire the engine and it idles pretty quietly. Snick the spindly gear lever into D, prod the throttle pedal and the Verna leaps forward quite eagerly. Engine response at low revs is pretty good. Pile on the revs though and the 1.6 Gamma’s engine eagerness fades quite quickly. The mid-range is adequate but at high revs, this motor struggles quite a bit and feels strained and thrashy.

The suspension hardly gets a workout when you’re driving on the long, smooth and arrow-straight roads in UAE. And there’s not much steering work to be done either. The Verna felt remarkably planted and the long wheelbase gave it a composure that promises to make it a good long-distance cruiser, however strong crosswinds can unsettle the car. Its true test though will be on Indian roads though. The steering is quite light but still had pretty good feel around the centre position but it doesn’t weight up consistently and at times feels disconnected from the road like many EPS units. However, that won’t bother typical owners who will be looking for an effortless steering and light controls for an easy commute.

The new Verna, miles ahead of its predecessor, blends practicality, quality and value in a package that is more upmarket and stylish than before and is good enough to disrupt the established order of the City and Vento.

Price Range (in lakhs)*
Ex-showroom Price - Rs 7-9 lakh (est)

ENGINE
Installation - Front, transverse, front-wheel drive
Power - 106.5/ 122/90/126bhp
Torque - 13.9/15.9/ 22.5/26.5kgm

Transmission
Gearbox - 5-speed manual/ 4-speed auto

Chassis & Body
Length - 4370mm
Width - 1700mm
Height - 1457mm
Wheel Base - 2570mm
Weight - 1715/1575kg

Suspension
Front Independent, MacPherson strut
Rear Non-independent, coil springs
Old 25th March 2011, 10:42   #532
BHPian

^^ Less wider than the i20 which I recall is at 1705mm?
Old 25th March 2011, 10:47   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The 1.4 delivers 106.5bhp

Can't wait to see reviews on Indian roads. In terms of pricing, Hyundai seems to have done a great job in keeping this car competitive.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:19   #534
BHPian

Good morning Guys,
I hope everyone had a good night sleep after yesterday’s match. Let me extend my thanks to Sid & naveen.raju for sharing test drive report on 'ANHV'.
Tell me my dear ones, when was the last time and how many times we have experienced strong cross winds here in India. And even if few of us have experienced, how many of us have actually dared to go out. There are specific cars which are meant for such kind of adventure. Lot more positive points to be extracted from the review.
I am out in a market to buy myself a decent sedan and Friends, and let's get real, we are MANGO people ('aam janta', at least I am) and 'ANHV', 'ANHC', 'VW Vento' and 'Fiesta', SX4 are meant for us, for daily commuting and sometimes cruising out with family over the weekends. ‘Kitna deti hai’? Have we forgotten this? And the aforementioned fours cars except ‘ANHV’ are not flawless, but we are still be buying them for one or another reason.
I am sure roads there in Dubai are in much better shape than in here so I believe HMIL will take care of suspension as well.

The following figures are quite encouraging except the one marked as *:
Power
1.4 Petrol- 106.5 bhp
1.6 Petrol- 122 bhp
* 1.4 Diesel- 90 bhp
1.6 Diesel 126 bhp

I am actually hooked onto 'ANHV'. But if you ask me honestly, I have only two 4-wheel sets in my mind, 1. 'ANHV', 2. 'DUSTER'.
While 'DUSTER' will be launched next year and I may not wait that longer so will go for 'ANHV' after hearing all pros/cons from Sid.
Note: My only discomfort with ‘ANHV’ is with its beige interiors. Black/Gray looks excellent.

What has HMIL in store for us, let’s wait & watch

Following is one more link from indiancarsbikes:
2011 Hyundai Verna RB launch in April 2011 with Four Engine options: End of Speculation! | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

Cheers
Old 25th March 2011, 15:17   #535
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive test drove the ANHV & the detailed report is in April issue. Below is the link to the same:

All-new Hyundai Verna driven - Exclusive drive of the all-new Verna - First Drive : Overdrive
Old 25th March 2011, 19:25   #536
Senior - BHPian

4 engines ! Boy , that means there is a Verna for everyone . For mileage conscious and for speed lovers ! Hyundai is trying to do a i10 in it's segment . And it will be sure-shot success story . For me it's verna is i20 in saloon guise , and will be similar in terms of characteristic. Leave alone the handling , I'll be satisfied if the ride is sorted out. That's more important !
Old 25th March 2011, 22:08   #537

Hey guys.
I went to the dealership cum workshop one of the biggest in town today evening after getting free from work. The service guy showed me the diesel variant of new verna. It was a car for testing purposes. and from the papers/stickers/labels and all it seemed to be a CBU unit to me . He didn't allow me to take pics as he said i cant until press launch . thought i can share some details of the car with you . It was a diesel variant 1.6 l . automatic 4 speed + 1 reverse . sat nav radio touch screen with cd player and usb /ipod connectivity , bluetooth connectivity integrated in radio, rear parking sensors with camera , normal halogen headlamps, steering mounted stereo and bluetooth controls, push start /stop with comfort access like sonata transform ,beige leather seats , front armrest, rear armrest , rear sun blind, front fogs , rear bumper with reflectors, chrome dual exhaust tip, 15 inch alloys with bridgestone, front discs and rear drum, ABS , auto height adjusting headlamps, dual tripmeter with odo, sat nav had some lovely features as bmw e60 and f10 , front airbags driver and passenger, front seat belt tensioners, beige/grey tone carpet and carpet type foot mats, non electric front seats , rear window defogger , auto climate control like sonata ,
EPS , electric side mirrors , indicator in side mirrors, and many more changes.
and for the ride i was only allowed to have a round inside their premises only though it was awesome, the gear shift was smooth , the engine was responsive , no tappetty noise in engine which is common in most diesels.
you could barely notice that engine is on while sitting inside with windows closed, overall a smooth car for daily city traffic, though its light weight and soft steering may make it a little less safe for highway, the weight and aerodynamic are like new honda city, maybe at speeds higher than 100 kmph you may not feel safe to push it further , the braking was perfect (as it was a new car) , overall it will be value for money as to buy and to maintain in future, the spares will also be competitively priced.
Maybe i'm closing with many of your questions unanswered , just ask and i'll answer if i know abt them .

Cheers
Old 25th March 2011, 22:20   #538
Senior - BHPian

^^ Well that's some great info ! Thanks for sharing ! Any news about probable launch date and pricing?
Old 26th March 2011, 00:36   #539

Hmmmmm about the launch the training is expected to start soon in april.
The sales person training takes about a week and service ones about two weeks. Till date expected date is 15th april but it seems it could be delayed due to some reasons at the plant.
Also the new elantra/avante is up for launch soon after verna. and then will follow i30 and i40.
Hyundai will try to establish market by providing high end features and comfort at competitive prices and will continue to be a bestseller in its segment.

Cheers hyundai
Old 26th March 2011, 01:35   #540
BHPian

@psycho_maniac thanks for the review man. Of course you couldnt test the suspension as I suggested but anyway nice work. April end or May sounds about right. Any ideas about elantra/avante launch, its soon as in Verna in May and Avante in June or Avante as in Dec.

Also Sid said the training has already begun, I had a word with the local hyundai mechanic and his training is on April4th.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks