Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 11:03   #721
BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

Thanks @AutoIndian for reference posts, things are much clear now.
Looking at the pictures posted above from carwale, I noticed one thing. There is no picture with 'Verna' badge, is something cooking up?
Are they going to launch it with some other name if not 'Verna'?

Well, I believe we may have to wait for some more time but how much more time? any insider news ?
Old 14th April 2011, 11:18   #722
Senior - BHPian

Now that is some amount of features incorporated in the car.
16"?? Well I see this car eating into Cruze as well.

So it all boils down to the final point. The price. The top end manual loaded with all gizmos should be around 9L & 10L (ex showroom) for petrol & Diesel respectively. I dont think even the Fiesta can match this all-rounder.

I had a feeling since the start of this thread Verna transform is going to stay. Lets see what happens. Are the Hyundai's trying to full off a Verna transform classic or launch it as a new sedan? Or is it the end of the Verna Deform? One thing for sure, only a fool will choose the Verna deform over the RB.

Last edited by oxyzen : 14th April 2011 at 11:21.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:14   #723
Senior - BHPian

Except front design, Hyundai has got everything right this time. I only hope they price it right and FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE any other name but Verna. Verna? What kinda name is that? Short for Vernacular? Or Hindi Verna which means a threatening "or else..."; as in " ....verna kya kar lega tu?"

What is wrong with Solaris? What a beautiful name! Sounds D segment. I hope Hyundai top barss read these posts.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:40   #724
Senior - BHPian

The name is obviously the verna. The current sexy looking transform has been phased out.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-photo2553.jpg  

Old 14th April 2011, 15:22   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The name is obviously the verna. The current sexy looking transform has been phased out.
Sid, of all the wonderful words that you use to write about cars that make for wonderful reading to all of us, did you mention 'Verna Transform' and 'Sexy' in the same line? Or is it sarcastic?

Now that the new Fiesta has been unveiled, I just can't wait for the all-new Verna. Comeon Hyundai, atleast launch the car before the IPL Season 4 ends.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:49   #726
BHPian

Indeed 'Transform' was a good looking car but this new one is again many miles ahead, of course on the better side. My mistake, how can I doubt 'The Master'.
While members are gung-ho on the 'New Fiesta' thread, I am just wondering, when will Hyundai wake up and announce the launch? '

Tareekh pe tareekh, tareekh pe tareekh, hume milti hai to bus Tareekh'.
Old 14th April 2011, 16:24   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Tareekh pe tareekh, tareekh pe tareekh, hume milti hai to bus Tareekh'.
Liked it & so true. Local dealer at Mumbai is taking bookings too but not sure about the launch dates. Training is scheduled for sales team this week.

If Avante is also scheduled to be launched at heels of Verna RB launch , wondering whether one should wait for more details to emerge or go for it.

Saw the thread on Fiesta launch today - it has still very sketchy details except some additional info on voice control features and auto fold mirrors, there is nothing much on gizmos , I could make out. Now this segment is getting really interesting. City, Vento, Verna,Fiesta all rocking and calling for attention. It would make it a difficult choice for an average buyer.

Does it have ESP( stability program) and 6 airbags? Some other country versions which I read on the webpages have these integrated hence, asking or is it that specs of Avante and RB are getting mixed up?
Old 14th April 2011, 16:57   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Now that is some amount of features incorporated in the car.
16"?? Well I see this car eating into Cruze as well.
Very very true. Exactly why i pointed out that for the engine, transmission & feautures it offers, its going to eat into the segment above it even if doesnt make it hard for competitors in the same segment. And i think thats where it may gather a higher amount of sales. Its easy to say value conscious buyers would rather go for the 2011 Verna rather than spend more & get less features.

Your getting a 1.6 engine with over 120 bhp & more features (the topend variants) than what the cars in the segment above it offer (Civic, Cruz, etc.) All this for a price lower than them while the car looks great as well. So why would anyone not buy a Verna over the segment above? The only reason would be for image conscious buyers who will give maximum priority to the badge value.

So Value Conscious = Verna
Image Concious = D Segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Except front design, Hyundai has got everything right this time. I only hope they price it right and FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE any other name but Verna. Verna? What kinda name is that? Short for Vernacular? Or Hindi Verna which means a threatening "or else..."; as in " ....verna kya kar lega tu?"
The name Verna is going to be retained as already posted by Sid.
And whats wrong with the design??? Its an excellent looker. But like always, design is subjective so perhaps some may not like it but im sure that a majority of people love the new design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Sid, of all the wonderful words that you use to write about cars that make for wonderful reading to all of us, did you mention 'Verna Transform' and 'Sexy' in the same line? Or is it sarcastic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Indeed 'Transform' was a good looking car but this new one is again many miles ahead, of course on the better side.
No offence fellas. Just made me smile a lot!

Last edited by Xehaust : 14th April 2011 at 16:59.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:13   #729
Senior - BHPian

Sid:

You have got so much info/pics for us already, why don't you find the probably date/month of launch, if feasible?

The silence is killing. Usually, no news is good news, but in this case, its bang opposite that.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:21   #730
BHPian

ARAI figures on FE of Verna all models are astonishing. Need to understand how do they arrive at those figures but if these figures are true, surely it will help to boost sales like anything for FE conscious buyers as well. Already scheming in my mind if I should compare it with Cruz or Laura in terms of features.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:12   #731
BHPian

You definitely should In fact it has features which are absent in them as well
How about posting the comparison here if you end up doing it.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:02   #732
BHPian

Comparing with New Fiesta, except for the front look, Verna is a clear winner in all respects - Engine, Transmission choices, Interior space, fit and finish, many latest features inside the car, alloys etc. As others have mentioned I don't see any reason why we can't consider new Verna against Cruz, Altis etc if they are fine with little lesser space inside. The top end diesel automatic will be at least 2 lakhs lesser than the mid variant cars from next segment.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:49   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
ARAI figures on FE of Verna all models are astonishing. Need to understand how do they arrive at those figures but if these figures are true, surely it will help to boost sales like anything for FE conscious buyers as well. Already scheming in my mind if I should compare it with Cruz or Laura in terms of features.
I guess these ARAI figures ae easily attainable on highways. I myself get around 23kmpl for my swift D. I should say they have STUNNING figures for engines of that kind of power. Welcome move. I have read reports owners of first gen Verna CRDi also getting mileage of 24kmpl or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
Comparing with New Fiesta, except for the front look, Verna is a clear winner in all respects - Engine, Transmission choices, Interior space, fit and finish, many latest features inside the car, alloys etc. As others have mentioned I don't see any reason why we can't consider new Verna against Cruz, Altis etc if they are fine with little lesser space inside. The top end diesel automatic will be at least 2 lakhs lesser than the mid variant cars from next segment.
I strongly believe that Verna will be more spacious than Cruze. One of the major gripes of Cruze is the rear space. I think the RB has better rear space than the outgoing version.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th April 2011 at 22:50.
Old 14th April 2011, 23:27   #734
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Xehaust;2313881]
And whats wrong with the design??? Its an excellent looker. But like always, design is subjective so perhaps some may not like it but im sure that a majority of people love the new design.

Xehaust, I said front design. Not the whole design. I agree, the car looks very handsome. But front is i10-ish. This part I do not like. Rear is good but side profile is the best. Looks better than new Fiesta.
Old 15th April 2011, 00:01   #735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Very very true. Exactly why i pointed out that for the engine, transmission & feautures it offers, its going to eat into the segment above it even if doesnt make it hard for competitors in the same segment. And i think thats where it may gather a higher amount of sales. Its easy to say value conscious buyers would rather go for the 2011 Verna rather than spend more & get less features.

Your getting a 1.6 engine with over 120 bhp & more features (the topend variants) than what the cars in the segment above it offer (Civic, Cruz, etc.) All this for a price lower than them while the car looks great as well. So why would anyone not buy a Verna over the segment above? The only reason would be for image conscious buyers who will give maximum priority to the badge value.

So Value Conscious = Verna
Image Concious = D Segment
True.

With lots of features, a great engine mated to a good transmission, good looks and overall, a great package all at a tantalizing price, it would definitely eat into the segment above. Only the image-conscious would look past the Verna and go in for something bigger and more expensive.

However, let's forget about the Cruze and the Civic for a second here, and take a look at the Verna's immediate competition. The Maruti SX4, the Fiat Linea and the Honda City. Me thinks that the City has finally met its match. After a decade of dominance, the Honda might finally be dethroned by the great package that the Verna is. Even Honda's trump card, their bullet-proof after-sales-service will not get them out of this. Hyundai is a well established player in our market and their A.S.S. has improved considerably over the years and they're right at the top when it comes to customer-satisfaction.

The City has finally met its match, I'd like to believe.

The only car that can shake up this new Verna is Ford's new Fiesta that slated for launch soon.

Looks like things in the C+ segment are hotting up.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed