Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 01:27   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

guys you know what?

i had a accent viva crdi - RED! i was just hoping hyundai also releases this car with a hatch sibling! man the chemistry with viva is something that makes me buy that all over again, then put in verna's engine, petes box, a good exhaust system, a suspension upgrade, and the ABS with all four discs and cherish it all over!!!!!!(seriously whats the use of a car with so much power when you cant put the power power on the tarmac!)

guys that car was a hoot to drive with just bigger tyres!(i had 195/60-R15 Michelin MXV8s it is 7% bigger![on 7j alloys]) and i managed to do 190kmph on it more than once on hyd-kurnool highway!

man the steering is so precise!, the kind of balance between power, braking, and handling that car had, is not even close to what verna provides! and it was a dream to drive it in the city it was just the right size with cut boot to rip through the traffic! if the new verna is anything like it in the power and handling department, its my next car over the swift ddis-ldi, or i am rebuiling one in the near future(say 3-4yrs passion red one ofcourse)!

if the new verna (RB) is anything like it, i would buy it, or if not i think i will buy the old accent viva diesel then find a verna engine and build my own car!

Last edited by rider60 : 15th April 2011 at 01:35.
Old 15th April 2011, 07:14   #737

I'm planing to buy a new car.My budget is 7lakhs not more than that.If Verna Rb doesn't fits my budget then ill go for i20.Anyone has idea how much Verna RB 1.4 petrol will cost?And will it be available in CSD canteen as soon as it launches?
Old 15th April 2011, 12:53   #738
BHPian

2,31,000 views and 736 posts for this wonderful thread and we are still lingering to know the actual, precise launch date for this car. I do not understand why is it getting delayed? Is HMIL waiting for any auspicious day as per 'Chinese' calendar or waiting for pricing details from it's not yet confirmed rival 'New Fiesta'?
Why don’t HMIL understand one basic thing, they certainly have winner in their hands , so why the delay? Well endurance becomes a pain sometimes. Anyways, I was just wondering what color options we may get with this 'New Verna'. While white, black, silver & red are regular ones and will definitely be provided but what other color choices Hyundai may give us? Here is my guess:
1. Ocean Blue
2. Carbon Gray
3. Bronze (From US)
4. Purple Pearl/Fantasia
5. Blue Metallic
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-ocean-blue.jpg  

2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-purple-pearl_fantasia.jpg  

2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-carbongrey.jpg  

2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-bluemetallic.jpg  

2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-bronze.jpg  

Old 15th April 2011, 13:02   #739
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any information on the Cruise control availability in the Verna RBi?
If Verna doesnt have this then it might be something which the Ford will be heavily banking on.
One point which Verna clearly will bank on is the rear visibility, the seamlines surely are curved to ensure that the rear visibility is not impacted.

Quote:
Is HMIL waiting for any auspicious day as per 'Chinese' calendar or waiting for pricing details from it's not yet confirmed rival 'New Fiesta'?
Hyundai is a Korean companay, so they will only have to look into an Korean calendar.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:34   #740
Senior - BHPian

This along with the Fiesta 2011 should be one of the most awaited reviews on TBHP in recent times. I am maintaining a spreadsheet in which I am rating each of these cars on various parameters & giving a score. The car that scores the most will be my obvious choice for the upgrade from my current car.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th April 2011 at 12:31. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 16th April 2011, 04:33   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I am maintaining a spreadsheet in which I am rating each of these cars on various parameters & giving a score. The car that scores the most will be my obvious choice for the upgrade from my current car.
Do post that spreadsheet here to make life easier for others as well who are facing the same dilemma

Carbon Grey looks fantastic & shows off the lines of the design very prominently & makes it look very "muscular" as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Does anyone have any information on the Cruise control availability in the Verna RBi?
If Verna doesnt have this then it might be something which the Ford will be heavily banking on.
Very true. But id say that only fools will find that non-availability of cruise control is a deal breaker for the 2011 Verna. In any case, how often will one use it on our roads? Incity usage will be non-existent, & even highway usage will be "barely used" at best due to lack of lane discipline & random speeds by fellow commuters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
One point which Verna clearly will bank on is the rear visibility, the seamlines surely are curved to ensure that the rear visibility is not impacted.
A very distinct advantage for the Verna & yes, they will surely bank on the rear view camera feature. This is something that the Fiesta is lacking in even thought it has a high bootline (in fact, none of the competition have it, heck, even segments above it dont have it!). Even though the Verna has a high bootline, it has the camera so visibility issues become redundant.
The top end will anyways have it, & going by the news that Hyundai will allow you to get any feature on any variant as an option, they have the best solution to the visibility factor.

Finally, a BHP review next week is excellent news for all of us who are glued to this thread. Guess the action may shift to the review thread soon

Last edited by Xehaust : 16th April 2011 at 04:41.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:05   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Do post that spreadsheet here to make life easier for others as well who are facing the same dilemma
Don't know if this is the right place, but I am putting the spreadsheet over here anyways (Mods please move it to the right thread if it does not suit here). This spreadsheet is still under construction & will be complete when we get the reviews of Verna & Fiesta 2011. Other members, please pitch in with your inputs to make it more meaningful.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Choosing Best Entry Level Sedan.xls (143.0 KB, 823 views)
Old 16th April 2011, 13:00   #743
BHPian

@autoindia- Please check the features list again, there are many mistakes in case of the Linea's. And the Linea sits 3 comfortably in the rear bench as we saw all the cars in this segment. The Linea is the widest of the lot and can sit 3 people better than the city and vento.

Last edited by Naparajito : 16th April 2011 at 13:04.
Old 16th April 2011, 20:05   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Don't know if this is the right place, but I am putting the spreadsheet over here anyways (Mods please move it to the right thread if it does not suit here). This spreadsheet is still under construction & will be complete when we get the reviews of Verna & Fiesta 2011. Other members, please pitch in with your inputs to make it more meaningful.

I dont think making a spreadsheet for choosing a car is ideal but it is fun. Anyway I have pitched in with my thoughts and preferences in a more generalised method.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Choosing Best Entry Level Sedan.xls (133.0 KB, 527 views)
Old 16th April 2011, 20:08   #745
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th April 2011 at 22:06. Reason: See note in the post.
jeetu4444 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th April 2011, 05:32   #746
BHPian

I just got curious about this thread from the new fiesta thread and it seems things are moving along nicely on the new Verna. Honestly given my weakness for cars that handle well and the new Fiesta does excellently on this front was not too interested in following up on the Verna given the handling or the lack of it in the current Verna.

It reminds me a bit of the Mazda 3. It does look so proportionate, I think Hyundai nailed the design. It looks wide, composed and well put together. The New Fiesta has a bit of awkwardness in its rear. Interior room and design also seem good. Now if the handling is even adequate, like the i20 this could prove to be a winner for Hyundai.

However given these are functional cars and designed to be functional and this segment has been positioned as somewhat luxury in India expectations sometimes get the better of what the cars are meant for. 8-10 lakhs is a lot of money in India in terms of income but the Verna in other regions will be a inexpensive value for money compact. A good time to be in the market for a sedan.

Last edited by raul : 17th April 2011 at 05:33.
Old 17th April 2011, 07:49   #747
BHPian

I received a call from one of the dealerships in Chennai (Express). He says the launch is today! (Apr 17th).

Yesterday he said, that the top folks from the dealership were invited for a launch event at their plant here. When asked about the details of the variants features etc, I was told that the 4 engine options were the 4 variants! That was a bit shocking.
I asked him repeatedly if each engine option comes with a few variants and quoted examples of i10 and i20. He very clearly said NO.
I was keen on the pricing next for which he said he will call me this morning and let me know. II persisted on knowing about the 1.6D, and he said thats the U2 model and will be very close (read +/- 10k) to 9.5L ex-showroom.

I will post more as soon as I get that call from him

Thanks!
Old 17th April 2011, 12:17   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
I was keen on the pricing next for which he said he will call me this morning and let me know. II persisted on knowing about the 1.6D, and he said thats the U2 model and will be very close (read +/- 10k) to 9.5L ex-showroom.
Thanks for sharing that info. If 9.5L ex-showroom is for the top end 1.6D, then I think the game is on. Its right in the Vento TDi Highline territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
I will post more as soon as I get that call from him Thanks!
I hope you have received the call by now. Looking forward to hear from you on that.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:58   #749
BHPian

Saw the reviews of both NFS and Verna RB in NDTV 24x7 today morning. I dont know if the guy who was reviewing is a big car-guy. However the verdict was something like this(which I m summarizing in my own words).

Verna RB
  • Awesome Design
  • Lots of variants
  • Powerful diesel motor but but but Turbo lag is still evident till 2k RPM
  • State of the art Interiors with wood finish for areas around PW,RVM etc control buttons
  • The Not-So-Good Infamous Handling of Verna still exists :( .Seems like Hyundai is stuck with the 'B' word (Boat-like) just like the South African cricket team is stuck with 'C' word. The suspension is soft and steering lacks feedback at high speeds
  • The car is good for city drives but not-so-good for highways (It seemed contradictory to me that he said turbo lag is there and also city-driving is good. Can anyone explain)?
Man, I m sad that Handling is still not resolved in Verna RB

Old 17th April 2011, 13:30   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Saw the reviews of both NFS and Verna RB in NDTV 24x7 today morning. I dont know if the guy who was reviewing is a big car-guy. However the verdict was something like this(which I m summarizing in my own words).

Verna RB
  • Awesome Design
  • Lots of variants
  • Powerful diesel motor but but but Turbo lag is still evident till 2k RPM
  • State of the art Interiors with wood finish for areas around PW,RVM etc control buttons
  • The Not-So-Good Infamous Handling of Verna still exists :( .Seems like Hyundai is stuck with the 'B' word (Boat-like) just like the South African cricket team is stuck with 'C' word. The suspension is soft and steering lacks feedback at high speeds
  • The car is good for city drives but not-so-good for highways (It seemed contradictory to me that he said turbo lag is there and also city-driving is good. Can anyone explain)?
Man, I m sad that Handling is still not resolved in Verna RB

Oops ! This is bad !! I was seriously hoping that they address the handling part! But now the turbo lag part is confusing as well. Given that they have very less lag in the current Verna, not sure what happened now. I guess thats a persistent problem in i20 Diesel too ? By the way which variant did they test drive ? 1.4 D or 1.6 D ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed