Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 22:55   #556
BHPian

Re: Spotted::: Is it a new Hyundai Diesel Rocket?

Yes it is the new Verna, saw it on Bloomberg this morning..
Old 28th March 2011, 00:07   #557
Senior - BHPian

It appears new Verna to me as CRDi is Hyundai’s trademark. Just look at the wheel and tire, they are so massive.Let's keep finger crossed.
Old 28th March 2011, 00:10   #558
BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

@autoweirdo That is true, but people who know that the handling isnt that good. Will probably not buy it. I here the ford fiesta had checked all the boxes except the leg room. Lets see what happens in the ford front. For the new Verna I think it better to wait and test it ourself.
Old 28th March 2011, 07:18   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Just curious - Is that drum brakes on the front wheel? Normally the front disc should have been showing through. Or there is shome sort of shroud around the disc. Wonder why?
Old 28th March 2011, 07:38   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Just curious - Is that drum brakes on the front wheel? Normally the front disc should have been showing through. Or there is shome sort of shroud around the disc. Wonder why?
i think its the wheel cover, disc is hidden behind the black wheel cover. this means its a mid variant or one down. this is when they don't give alloys it looks like this.
Old 28th March 2011, 09:27   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i think its the wheel cover, disc is hidden behind the black wheel cover. this means its a mid variant or one down. this is when they don't give alloys it looks like this.
OIC. The pictures had me fooled in to thinking that these are alloy's.
Old 28th March 2011, 09:49   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
@autoweirdo That is true, but people who know that the handling isnt that good. Will probably not buy it.
Have heard this story of poor handling of the Verna now umpteen number of times. Apologies for being naive, but can someone please elaborate what is the exact meaning of this phrase by giving examples? Does handling matter only above certain speed (eg > 120 kmph) or is it a concern even at crawling speeds?
Old 28th March 2011, 09:50   #563
Senior - BHPian

The steel rims are black if one looks carefully, yes the wheel covers do look like alloys..so the all new Verna is coming soon it seems !!

Cheers
Old 28th March 2011, 11:24   #564
BHPian

Hello Folks,
Many automobile journalists from India were invited for the event which happened in Dubai and everyone have published their review/feedback in one or another form.

So why were they called? My judgment tells me that, 'HMIL' wanted to collect the initial feedback/response from us and act according to that.
IMHO, HMIL has done a good job here and it will turn into a noble deed if they incorporate most from the feedback given, after all India is a much bigger market than Dubai.
Is it a reason for the delay? May be or maybe not.

I even watched Wheelocity aired this Sunday @ 10:30 AM. The presenter praised many aspects/features of 'ANHV' and gave an overall rating of 4. They were given a black one(with 16" alloy wheels) and it was like a black 'Stallion' ready to unleash itself.

Following is one more review from Zigwheels:
2011 Hyundai Verna: First Drive in Dubai! Page - 1 Zigwheels

Cheers
Old 28th March 2011, 11:27   #565
Senior - BHPian

Those are wheel covers but cleverly disguised. There almost 3 of them moving towards Sriperumbudur, i guess to the Hyundai plant. but car looked pretty cool, had me fooled to think that its a Honda, its been shaped like the city from the side. The cockpit has blue backlit consoles, ala Beat type.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:17   #566
Senior - BHPian

its the wheel caps of the base diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-hyundaisolaris33_427579.jpg  

Old 28th March 2011, 22:22   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys I am looking to buy a Vento Diesel Highline. Can any of you tell me if the new Verna will have an Automatic gearbox in diesel? And if it will be launched in may too? If yes then I will wait for it to launch and then go ahead with the purchase.

ps: I know some friends in both the dealerships ( VW and Hyundai). So delivery time is not an issue.

Edit: Got the answer a couple of pages back. So the AT diesel is indeed coming. I guess I am going to wait for the launch then. By the way my friend has a hyundai dealership and he told me the car is coming on 1st may :(.

Last edited by drmohitg : 28th March 2011 at 22:32.
Old 28th March 2011, 22:48   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Have heard this story of poor handling of the Verna now umpteen number of times. Apologies for being naive, but can someone please elaborate what is the exact meaning of this phrase by giving examples? Does handling matter only above certain speed (eg > 120 kmph) or is it a concern even at crawling speeds?
Handling usually comes into play at high speeds. Especially anything over 100kmph. At this speed when you brake, the car tends to get out of straight line [fish tailing] or in corners just dont take the path we want it to [over steer / under steer] forcing us to adjust the steering / brakes etc to keep the car in line. In case of over steer, the car moves more to the middle of the road increasing the risks of running into the oncoming traffic.

And also Verna's backseat is known to bounce a lot making it uncomfortable for rear passengers by throwing them around [up/down].

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey guys I am looking to buy a Vento Diesel Highline. Can any of you tell me if the new Verna will have an Automatic gearbox in diesel? And if it will be launched in may too? If yes then I will wait for it to launch and then go ahead with the purchase.

ps: I know some friends in both the dealerships ( VW and Hyundai). So delivery time is not an issue.

Edit: Got the answer a couple of pages back. So the AT diesel is indeed coming. I guess I am going to wait for the launch then. By the way my friend has a hyundai dealership and he told me the car is coming on 1st may :(.
From the previous posts we are seeing that the Diesel also has high probability of getting an auto box. Since the current verna anyway has auto option for D, we can very well expect that in the new variant as well.
Old 29th March 2011, 06:17   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Actually, handling makes a difference at all speeds.
Having driven a car with a stiffer suspension (like the fiesta), and one with a softer suspension (like the Verna has), I found the following differences across the board:
- Greater body roll with the softer suspension. This would mean that the car would have to be driven slower around corners. This is one aspect that can be felt on the highways as well as in the city.
- A softer suspension is more comfortable in town when handling potholes and the like.
- A stiffer suspension is better on the highways as I felt a difference in the stability, as well as the car seemed less disturbed by undulations on the road. Also, at higher speeds, a car with a stiffer suspension passes less road intrusions into the cabin.

A true drivers car would have a combination of a responsive engine, as well as good ride and handling characteristics to bring a smile on the drivers face.
This is the one aspect the new and current Fiesta would beat the ANHV and current Verna, due to their responsive engines and good handling characteristics.
The ANHV on the other hand is more of a jack of all trades, ace of none. It provides an all rounder vehicle that will be appreciated by all except the enthusiastic driver.
However, if you like to accelerate in a straight line, the Verna CRDi would trump over the fiesta. At least once you get past the turbo-lag which is prominent in Hyundai diesels.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:09   #570
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the car is going to be a real pain for reversing! Very high boot, plus thick pillars plus the lack of a rear quarter-glass. Not to mention three headrests at the rear.

2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-2011_hyundai_verna_det5_560x420_560x420.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed