Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 23:45   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

Appreciate the clarification swiftnfurious. I have experienced the fish tailing phenomenon number of times on my bike when I brake hard at high speed, but never in my car. If this is quite common in the old Verna, then I will have to think twice before committing for the ANHV[/quote]

Err...I am not really sure of fish tailing in the Verna. Have experienced this BIG time in my Swift with ABS. This is mainly due to the disc brakes present only in the front wheels. This is why I pray that new Verna should be equipped with disc brakes on all wheels. Dont think the current Verna has all 4 discs. For a car of this power, its better to have discs all around to stop it without much drama. I would count confidence inspiring braking as a part of handling - not sure its technically correct.
Old 30th March 2011, 07:18   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Appreciate the clarification swiftnfurious. I have experienced the fish tailing phenomenon number of times on my bike when I brake hard at high speed, but never in my car. If this is quite common in the old Verna, then I will have to think twice before committing for the ANHV

Err...I am not really sure of fish tailing in the Verna. Have experienced this BIG time in my Swift with ABS. This is mainly due to the disc brakes present only in the front wheels. This is why I pray that new Verna should be equipped with disc brakes on all wheels. Dont think the current Verna has all 4 discs. For a car of this power, its better to have discs all around to stop it without much drama. I would count confidence inspiring braking as a part of handling - not sure its technically correct.
The pre refresh verna, which came before the pre transform verna, had all 4 disc brakes. That was quietly dropped from the verna facelift and the same continued onto verna transform. Hope the new verna has all 4 discs and all around airbags in addition to ABS.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:32   #588
BHPian

Hi Fellows,
How has the day started for all of you? I hope kind enough. Well, it has to be, after dreaming that both Sachin & Viru scoring a ton today .
So back to work.
Let me admit, 'ANHV' was started by me as I have developed a fondness towards Verna 2011 and Sid's last post yesterday night left smiles on my face.
Yesterday, after travelling on web I found two articles posted by two teams(not from India) which were invited to Dubai for the event which I am sharing below. Sid posted few queries couple of pages back and I believe his few queries will be answered from these reviews.

Business - Test-driving the Hyundai Accent in Dubai - INQUIRER.net
The rise of the subcompact | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online
Cheers
Old 30th March 2011, 13:51   #589
BHPian

Quote:
I think, the suspension plays an important role here. When the suspension is soft, it results in excessive dive in case of braking. This causes the rear to lift and reduces the traction at the rear. So providing disc brakes will not be the solution for this problem.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:48   #590
BHPian

While many reviews have been pouring in from Dubai, none of them are encouraging. Why? I have absolutely no clue, maybe expectations are too high so have to wait & watch for the launch here in India which is scheduled most probably in April end(latest update).
While 'Solaris'(Verna/Accent) is already on sale in Russia and with demand increasing day by day, Hyundai Russia have decided to ramp up the production. I was going through one of the ownership reviews of 'Solaris' (thanks to Google Translator), the owner did have high regards about this car. Let it be ride handing, suspension setup, exterior paint quality or interior fit & finish and let me tell you, the owner owns a 1.6 Gamma AT.
Following are few pictures, the Purple one:
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-purpleverna2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 31st March 2011, 12:56   #591
Senior - BHPian

Saw the video on AutoIndia site; she says the mid-range is bad ( she was driving the 1.6 petrol with 4 speed auto transmission).

Oh yah, and bad around corners!
Old 31st March 2011, 13:17   #592
Senior - BHPian

It has to do more with the primitive 4 speed auto tranny carried over from the i20. Hyundai petrols in mid sizers were never known for performance and how many ATs will be sold is one's guess. But again, with the diesel and diesel AT with more power than the petrol on the anvil, why bother with the 1.6 gamma? Maybe only it will appeal for style and value conscious city dwellers.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:39   #593
Senior - BHPian

Looks much better than present Verna. I think Hyundai should refrain from naming it Verna. Accent would be better. Most associate word Verna with ugly car. Also Accent was much more popular than Verna ever was. Or they can name it Solaris. Sounds great.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:57   #594
BHPian

What Sid said is absolutely correct and if 1.6 Gamma AT/MT is not encouraging then, the so called 'New Verna-Petrol' will meet the same fate as its previous generation.
If Hyundai is serious about Indian market, following these posts and reviews from Dubai, then they will definitely do something about it rather than allowing the New Verna slipping into oblivion.
One more insight, I just now remember(I read on the forums-www.hyundai-solaris.com ) that 'Solaris' comes with an HPS rather than an EPS.
Will have to dig it more on this.
Cheers
Old 31st March 2011, 14:50   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Looks much better than present Verna. I think Hyundai should refrain from naming it Verna. Accent would be better. Most associate word Verna with ugly car. Also Accent was much more popular than Verna ever was. Or they can name it Solaris. Sounds great.
Agree .
Verna sounds lot boring and isnt a brandname tht has set sales charts on fire ... A new name can change a lot and help in creating a fresh perception.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:28   #596
BHPian

Agreed, the name 'Verna' has not done any wonders nor won any accolades for Hyundai. So something borrowed from an i series should change the fortunes, something like an iX.
But it seems impossible as the production of car has already started in Hyundai's Chennai plant with original name and this is evident from few pictures posted on this thread.
Old 31st March 2011, 16:19   #597
BHPian

People here in states of Punjab & Haryana still regard Verna quite respectfully, infact quite a few Transforms can be seen still moving out of the showrooms!

IMO Hyundai wants to cash on verna's popularity and quite rightly they do not want to take a chance with a new name.

Anyway, my prediction is that this car is going to be a hit!
Old 31st March 2011, 17:21   #598
Senior - BHPian

I agree, drop the stale Verna brand and go with an i. But which i? i30 is a hatch, so i am guessing they will go with i35 for Elantra.

So i guess that means i25(Verna), i35 (Elantra) and i45(Sonata).
Old 31st March 2011, 18:15   #599
BHPian

I spoke to a Hyundai Dealer here who happens to be an old family friend. He told me that he will be receiving his first car around the 15th of April.

This is too irritating now! When is it finally going to launch?
Old 31st March 2011, 19:37   #600
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Verna was not that bad a brand actually. Yes, if you compare it with the segment leader Honda City and Hyundai's own super successful Accent, the Verna did not sell well. But, the numbers that it did and is still doing is more than par for its segment.

And Verna is invariably associated with only "CRDi" and brutal power and pickup. Most people would have forgotten that petrol Verna even existed. But, overall Verna CRDi is still a respected brand in India and Hyundai is doing the right thing by launching this as the new Verna. In fact, this car, once launched will increase the brand image of the Verna even more.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed