• 1.6 P/D SX=ABS plus dual airbags plus rear discs
  • 1.6 P/D SX (O)=ABS plus 6 airbags plus rear discs
  • 1.6 P/D SX (O) AT=ABS plus 6 airbags plus rear discs
  • all models will get USB/Aux-in stereo
  • bluetooth in all 1.6 variants
  • reverse camera and electrochromic mirror in SX/ SX-O models
  • parktronic and ACC in all 1.6 engined variants
  • electronic foldable mirror in 1.6 SX/ SX-O variants
So the difference between the SX & SX-O variants seems to be only the number of air bags (2 Vs 6). What do you think would be the price difference between the two? Any hints of price difference from the existing models (eg i20 2 airbags Vs 6) is also welcome.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:23   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

I can't help but think Hyundai have timed this to perfection. With Vento already going one up on AHNC (cheaper at the same/similar equipment level) this has helped them equip the new Accent (sorry Verna ) to the T. One hopes that the pricing is also reasonable- I don't see people shelling out significantly more than a VW for a Hyundai, frankly.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:23   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
safety packages
  • 1.4 P/D base=no ABS/ airbags
  • 1.6 P/D base=ABS plus driver airbag
  • all models will get USB/Aux-in stereo
  • bluetooth in all 1.6 variants
  • reverse camera and electrochromic mirror in SX/ SX-O models
  • parktronic and ACC in all 1.6 engined variants
  • electronic foldable mirror in 1.6 SX/ SX-O variants
Wow! Really impressive equipment list! Waiting for the Official review now. If 1.6P SX-O would be priced at around 9lacs OTR, it would be a hit I guess.

EDIT: No sunroof in SX-O?

Last edited by driveanddrive : 18th April 2011 at 19:33.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:25   #799
Senior - BHPian

sx-O will have leather and keyless-go in addition.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:32   #800
BHPian

Originally posted by jkdas
Quote:
Tell me, how stable do you feel in a Honda City ( old or new) at the above mentioned speeds?
Actually with even the skinny stock tyres, my ANHC offers very good stability in the straights. I hope the Verna 2011 offers straight line stability at least at around 120-140 kmph. That should not be termed a 'Bad' handling car then
Old 18th April 2011, 19:52   #801
BHPian

Handling does not co-relate to straighline stability all that much. In any case, im sure straighline stabillity will be good enough. Have the original Verna with me (upgraded tyres) and there is no problem at 120-140 in a straight line. So im sure the new one will be good enough if not better than the original one.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:18   #802
aby
BHPian

I personally think that by not bringing in a fully-loaded 1.4l Petrol/Diesel versions of the car, Hyundai might end up losing a lot of potential sales.

A fully loaded 1.4L P/D will possibly cost as much as the 1.6L base version and can have the potential to take away sales from DZire/Manza segment too (Especially the ones preferring safety and all the bells and whistles). Also that car might have covered the gap between Accent Executive (< 7L on road in Bangalore) and Verna top end (> 9.5 L in Bangalore for 1.6L petrol)

Last edited by aby : 18th April 2011 at 20:20.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:19   #803
BHPian

Handling doesn't matter much in city traffic, after all the average speed is 20km/h. And how many drivers do you find throwing their new cars around the corners. Lol!
Old 18th April 2011, 20:21   #804
Senior - BHPian

transmission options from my STM (secret tweeting machine)

petrols= 5 M/T, 4 A/T; diesels=6 M/T, 4 A/T
Old 18th April 2011, 21:16   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
safety packages
  • 1.4 P/D base=no ABS/ airbags
  • 1.6 P/D base=ABS plus driver airbag
This is bad ! 1.4 / 1.6 engines should have been provided atleast rear discs !! ABS could have been provided as option also ! Lousy job Hyundai !

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Wow! Really impressive equipment list! Waiting for the Official review now. If 1.6P SX-O would be priced at around 9lacs OTR, it would be a hit I guess.
From the price points mentioned by a fellow bhpian, 1.6P SX - O should be 8.5L ex showroom ! So you could expect it to be around 9.5L OTR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
I personally think that by not bringing in a fully-loaded 1.4l Petrol/Diesel versions of the car, Hyundai might end up losing a lot of potential sales.

A fully loaded 1.4L P/D will possibly cost as much as the 1.6L base version and can have the potential to take away sales from DZire/Manza segment too (Especially the ones preferring safety and all the bells and whistles). Also that car might have covered the gap between Accent Executive (< 7L on road in Bangalore) and Verna top end (> 9.5 L in Bangalore for 1.6L petrol)
I doubt this will still take away DZire / Manza customers as I guess the OTR of Dzire ZDi = 7.2L or so ?? and here the Verna D prices might start at 8.5L ex showroom -- Way too huge margin for an overlap I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Multijet engines by Fiat run on diesel only, petrol ones are branded as saffire (if I am not wrong).
Fiat's petrol engines are called FIRE and SAFFIRE is the name given by TATA for the same engines!
Old 18th April 2011, 22:05   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Handling doesn't matter much in city traffic, after all the average speed is 20km/h. And how many drivers do you find throwing their new cars around the corners. Lol!
I rather have a good handling car than one which doesn't handle well. You never know whats going to happen, what with morons driving on our roads. All it takes is one incident to make life hell (it might happen anytime and anywhere and at any speed). I am not saying that the New Verna is a bad handler. Just because someone doesnt throw a car into corners doesnt mean he will not need a car that handles well. I rather be safe than sorry. I own an i20 diesel and a fiesta diesel and I can vouch for the difference in handling. The i20 is not a bad handler but its nowhere close to the fiesta.
Old 18th April 2011, 22:12   #807
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

I doubt this will still take away DZire / Manza customers as I guess the OTR of Dzire ZDi = 7.2L or so ?? and here the Verna D prices might start at 8.5L ex showroom -- Way too huge margin for an overlap I would say.
Actually you are way off the target. Swift ZDI is 8.52L OTR in Bangalore, ZXI is 7.62L.

Think of it this way. A Hyundai i20 Automatic is about 9.13L OTR in Bangalore. This vehicle uses the same 1.4l engine which is being plonked in the new Verna, albeit in a different state of tune. Between i20 1.4L Auto and Verna 1.4, there shouldn't be much difference between Manufacturing costs or even taxes. Remove the margin for Automatic Tranny, 6 airbags and other extra goodies, Hyundai can easily price a 1.4 SX version of Verna for around 8.5L OTR, a gap of 80k compared to Swift DZire ZXI. Surely can pull in a few of ZDI or Manza Aura+ Buyers.

Last edited by aby : 18th April 2011 at 22:14.
Old 18th April 2011, 22:38   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
Actually you are way off the target. Swift ZDI is 8.52L OTR in Bangalore, ZXI is 7.62L.

Think of it this way. A Hyundai i20 Automatic is about 9.13L OTR in Bangalore. This vehicle uses the same 1.4l engine which is being plonked in the new Verna, albeit in a different state of tune. Between i20 1.4L Auto and Verna 1.4, there shouldn't be much difference between Manufacturing costs or even taxes. Remove the margin for Automatic Tranny, 6 airbags and other extra goodies, Hyundai can easily price a 1.4 SX version of Verna for around 8.5L OTR, a gap of 80k compared to Swift DZire ZXI. Surely can pull in a few of ZDI or Manza Aura+ Buyers.
Thanks for correcting the prices. I am still not sure whether this would pull guys from a segment lower. People who have opted for the ZDi or Aura versions would want a high end fully loaded vehicle with all safety features. But then whats the base variant of Verna got to offer to such a crowd? Slightly better engine ? For a person like me, I would rather go with a fully loaded variant than having a car "just for the sake" one segment higher. Thinking purely from my perspective. Having said that, I might have still had a look at this car provided they gave atleast ABS in the base version.

Edit: Slight confusion for me. I dont think i20 has a diesel Auto in the first place ! So you were pointing at the i20 Petrol auto ? And looks like we had a previous post from some one mentioning that the Verna might be priced from 8.5L - 9.5L ex Showroom.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th April 2011 at 22:55.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:00   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for correcting the prices. I am still not sure whether this would pull guys from a segment lower. People who have opted for the ZDi or Aura versions would want a high end fully loaded vehicle with all safety features. But then whats the base variant of Verna got to offer to such a crowd? Slightly better engine ? For a person like me, I would rather go with a fully loaded variant than having a car "just for the sake" one segment higher. Thinking purely from my perspective. Having said that, I might have still had a look at this car provided they gave atleast ABS in the base version.
You may be true to an extent, but a segment jump is always valuable, i feel if you can get the base version of a higher segment car for the price of a lower segment fully loaded vehcle:

1. A segment higher had defenetly better quality materials and QC.
2. A segment higher may be giving you some more features than the lower segment top end model.
3. fit & finish is defenetly better.
4. Ya you may miss the ABS/ REAR DISC , those are all being used as marketing strategy than safety. Safety should be cheaper and luxury should be costlier
5. not to forget the feel good factor of higher car
Old 18th April 2011, 23:42   #810
BHPian

Quote:
transmission options from my STM (secret tweeting machine)

petrols= 5 M/T, 4 A/T; diesels=6 M/T, 4 A/T
Does this mean 4 A/T variants in petrol and diesel each? I am confused. I remember you mentioned earlier that A/T is only in SX-O.

EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Looks like you are referring to number of gears

Last edited by mohan41 : 18th April 2011 at 23:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed