Old 20th April 2011, 10:43   #827
xPK
BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Video review on YouTube.
This is from newsx channel
I'm not aware of this show or the guy (if they are trustworthy), but the guy mentions "good handling". That's nice to hear.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:11   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Thats unfortunate. Price of SX-O + AT would probably go well into the next segment pricing and it is difficult to justify spending so much when the AT is a basic 4 speed transmission without even paddle shifts.
Sid- Thanks for the clarification.

I'm disappointed with their choice too. THe price for diesel automatic in SX-O will go very close to next segment cars. This is a let down by Hyundai. Many people need AT with basic safety features. AT doesn't translate to rich people always. Many people go for the the convenience of AT even though it is little costlier than manual cars. Personally, I don't care much about keyless go, strat/stop button, 6 airbags (versus two), leather etc but I do need an AT. If the price is too high then I'll wait for linea's diesel AT (dual logic) and then make a decision.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:14   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Video review on YouTube.
This is from newsx channel.

Cheers
This guy is only reviewer so far who feels the car is cramped for a 6 footer.

Request to TBHP reviewers: In addition to a subjective opinion about space inside, can the headroom/legroom be measured and provided in the review?

Last edited by mohan41 : 20th April 2011 at 11:17.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:20   #830
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if anyone posted this already - sales training has been completed, expected launch is May 11th. Fully loaded will be ~10 to 11 lakhs (not sure if this is on-road or ex).
Old 20th April 2011, 11:47   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
Sid- Thanks for the clarification.

I'm disappointed with their choice too. THe price for diesel automatic in SX-O will go very close to next segment cars. This is a let down by Hyundai. Many people need AT with basic safety features. AT doesn't translate to rich people always. Many people go for the the convenience of AT even though it is little costlier than manual cars. Personally, I don't care much about keyless go, strat/stop button, 6 airbags (versus two), leather etc but I do need an AT. If the price is too high then I'll wait for linea's diesel AT (dual logic) and then make a decision.
Wow! You speak my language. Exactly what I want. I don't give a damn about lot of useless ( to me ) features. I would want an AT box right after aircon and power-steering. I can even live without power windows ( i never open windows ). Manufacturers still think AT cars are for rich. My grouse is, there is not a single diesel AT hatchback in India. And looks like there won't be one for next 100 years. And they say we are spoilt with choices. Hyundai could have offered an AT variant in 1.4 base diesel. I would have been the first one in queue. The one they are offering now will hit 13 lakh on-road price, I guess. You might as well look at Cruze then.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:35   #832
BHPian

Quote:
As some reviews have mentioned about oodles of space in the car, I was quite amazed to see his left knee touching the Dash console curve! Have to check this in person, this can be a serious issue!
Old 20th April 2011, 12:39   #833
BHPian

@Sid> Hey is the AT option only with the SX-O model? Is this info confirmed? As we have earlier seen test mules that had AT gearboxes, but no ACC in it! If people can recall, the Scoop by Autocar India of the Verna from inside the Hyundai factory in Chennai had the interior shots of one such model only! Here's the pic of the same.
2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-09022011124.jpg

Last edited by 333 : 20th April 2011 at 12:58. Reason: Addition of picture.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:11   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Wow! You speak my language. Exactly what I want. I don't give a damn about lot of useless ( to me ) features. I would want an AT box right after aircon and power-steering. I can even live without power windows ( i never open windows ). Manufacturers still think AT cars are for rich. My grouse is, there is not a single diesel AT hatchback in India. And looks like there won't be one for next 100 years. And they say we are spoilt with choices. Hyundai could have offered an AT variant in 1.4 base diesel. I would have been the first one in queue. The one they are offering now will hit 13 lakh on-road price, I guess. You might as well look at Cruze then.
I too believe that the Verna deisel AT will be close 13L OTR in BLR. In that case I'll drop the idea of buying this car as my budget is around 11L. If I have 13L then I'll go for next segment car even if it means more money for that car. or I'll go for City AT petrol and I can save 2L that will compensate for the fuel expenses for several years.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:14   #835
BHPian

Quote:

Request to TBHP reviewers: In addition to a subjective opinion about space inside, can the headroom/legroom be measured and provided in the review?
+1 to that. This is a big deal, i feel bad already , i have been waiting for it to launch for quite sometime now, i really hope this is not an issue for us 6 footers.

ML
Old 20th April 2011, 13:40   #836
BHPian

The video review posted above actually made my day and thanks for sharing. As far as grouse on 4 speed AT is concerned, I have used 6 Speed DSG on Laura , 6 speed AT on Scorpio and 4 speed AT on Santro. Well, as far as fun is concerned never felt anything lacking on Santro AT. Its peppy and pleasant enough. So those who are ruling AT version out simply because its just 4 speed, please, test drive it and then decide. It may not turn out to be deal breaker.

6 speed AT on Scorpio gave it a very good FE on highways plus a reasonable speed v/s rpm ratio but there were issues of over revving at throttle input and after 1 year of use exchanged it for a manual scorpio since it was no where close to the Santro AT peppiness or may be the gear box which M&M chose was not a good match for the engine.

Test drove Cruze AT too but found nothing better in driveability aspect over Santro AT which could be attributed to the gear box.

Of course, DSG is in a different league so no comparisons with any normal AT whether Santro or Scorpio or may be even Verna.

Well this time my choice is 1.6 Crdi MT SX (o) .
Old 20th April 2011, 13:54   #837
BHPian

NDTV's CNB show test drove a similar colored car. May have been the same one. They also drove it from Coimbatore to Kodai. Interesting. Wonder if they went out together for the test drive.

The car design looks like a giant leap from previous versions for Hyundai. I'm liking their new design language. Their previous cars were quirky and interiors weren't top notch either,having owned two of them in the last 10 years. Interior fit & finish has definitely gone up several notches and this car exemplifies that. If only they could tune their cars for better handling we would have a brilliant all rounder.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:19   #838
BHPian

1St Drive on new Verna from Zigwheels

New Hyundai Verna: 1st Drive Page - 1 Zigwheels
Old 20th April 2011, 15:33   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
1St Drive on new Verna from Zigwheels

New Hyundai Verna: 1st Drive Page - 1 Zigwheels
Thanks Raghu for sharing that link. Though the review is not as detailed as we are used to here on TBHP, nevertheless it gave a good indication of what is in store. There are no major negatives in the car except the much talked about handling. Have reproduced one paragraph below from the review, which is sort of a breather that all is not lost when it comes to handling.

"The soft suspension set up on the Verna, which worked great for in city driving as well as cruising along the highway, now made the car slightly nervous. Climbing up the mountain roads it was more than evident that the backseat passengers would not have a good time thanks to the back stepping out of line on tight corners. One can argue that most people won’t push their car as hard, however the fact remains that the soft suspension does take away a little from the handling. Having said that, the Verna is destined to be used primarily in cities, and for that purpose it is a brilliant car that offers a comfortable ride".
Old 20th April 2011, 15:52   #840
BHPian

I saw the review yesterday and posted it today. It has to be authentic as the presenter clearly mentioned that they were invited to this event by HMIL which took place in Coimbatore.

Regarding leg room & head-room, I believe there should be enough in the front but head-room may be bit less in the rear.

Sometime the driver sit too close by positioning the seat more towards steering wheel so knees may be touching centre console & give an overall feeling of less leg room.
Pricing is the key, they simply cannot afford to have it reach 13 Lacs as 'Avante' (from Cruze, Civic segment) is on cards.

Just for reference:
Price of current 'Verna Transform'-diesel AT
Ex-Showroom Bangalore : 9,31,959 (A)
RTO : 1,49,522 (B)
Insurance : 29,393 (C)
On Road Price : 11,10,874
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks