Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 16:05   #841
BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Pricing is the key, they simply cannot afford to have it reach 13 Lacs as 'Avante' (from Cruze, Civic segment) is on cards.

Just for reference:
Price of current 'Verna Transform'-diesel AT
Ex-Showroom Bangalore : 9,31,959 (A)
RTO : 1,49,522 (B)
Insurance : 29,393 (C)
On Road Price : 11,10,874
This is the present Verna which does not have any airbags. If one adds two airbags OTR Blore will go close to 12L. With the SX-O (6 airbags plus some other fancy features), ex-showroom will go well above 10L which also attracts higher road tax in Bangalore (compared to below 10L ex-showroom), which would push SX-O AT to 13L OTR.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:42   #842
BHPian

I read somewhere (or is it one of Sid's earlier posts?) that the highest model of the new Verna would not cross 12L on road for sure. Hope that stays true!

Quote:
This is the present Verna which does not have any airbags. If one adds two airbags OTR Blore will go close to 12L. With the SX-O (6 airbags plus some other fancy features), ex-showroom will go well above 10L which also attracts higher road tax in Bangalore (compared to below 10L ex-showroom), which would push SX-O AT to 13L OTR.
Though, by applying common sense, one would have to agree with u mohan41

But i guess 2 airbags would raise the cost by close to 30-40k, then the other stuff would take it above 12L for sure.

Last edited by 333 : 20th April 2011 at 16:47. Reason: Forgot to quote
Old 20th April 2011, 17:22   #843
BHPian

After reading all the news about its great city rides, what puzzles me is, why a 1.6D and 1.6P for city use. Can't they provide stiffer suspension and wider tyres in these options and term them as highway cars. I'm sure people going for 1.6 ltr options won't mind the few extra thousands for better handling, or is it up to the owner to upgrade the suspension and tyres
Old 20th April 2011, 18:35   #844
BHPian

Got a call from Hyundai confirming interest in the car. Also that the car has not yet been launched but will call me again once it is along with prices & variants & a test drive from my nearest dealer.
The same was done by Ford when i registered for the Fiesta. But i would like to add that while the person calling from ford was very professional sounding, the call from hyundai seemed like an outsourced, not so good, call centre job.
Dont mean to be negative, but i think the small things do matter.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:40   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
@Sid> Hey is the AT option only with the SX-O model? Is this info confirmed? As we have earlier seen test mules that had AT gearboxes, but no ACC in it! If people can recall, the Scoop by Autocar India of the Verna from inside the Hyundai factory in Chennai had the interior shots of one such model only! Here's the pic of the same.
Attachment 533403
disclaimer: specifications and equipment are subject to change without prior notice.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:46   #846
BHPian

11th May - Launch confirmed by multiple sources.
But these prices are tempting me to deal with VW instead
Old 20th April 2011, 18:54   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
11th May - Launch confirmed by multiple sources.
But these prices are tempting me to deal with VW instead
Hey come on boss, the official word is not out regarding the prices and variants, I think u can wait till may 11 and then think. With all those engine options, there seems to be a Verna for every pocket

Last edited by 333 : 20th April 2011 at 18:55. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 20th April 2011, 19:27   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Hey come on boss, the official word is not out regarding the prices and variants, I think u can wait till may 11 and then think. With all those engine options, there seems to be a Verna for every pocket
To my belief, Hyundai may not trade off on pricing. This is evident from the i20 pricing. IMO, they will try to keep the pricing one step ahead of Maruti (SX4) and at par with Honda (albeit City) - Petrol to petrol. For diesel expect the pricing around or above vento territory.
Old 20th April 2011, 19:34   #849
Senior - BHPian

This picture from zigwheels looks pretty alarming..the car is pushed hard and some body roll is evident. Notice the position of front right tyre and the alloy wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-hyundaivernanew_7_640x480.jpg  

Old 20th April 2011, 19:35   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
To my belief, Hyundai may not trade off on pricing. This is evident from the i20 pricing. IMO, they will try to keep the pricing one step ahead of Maruti (SX4) and at par with Honda (albeit City) - Petrol to petrol. For diesel expect the pricing around or above vento territory.
That seems a bit contradictory as, in my city (Coimbatore) the Honda City V manual and the Vento Highline Diesel are roughly the same cost! And my guess is that it wont be as highly priced as the City. The City is based on the Jazz and the Verna is based on the i20. The difference in cost between the i20 and the Jazz suggests this
Old 20th April 2011, 20:33   #851

God bless competition!!! Can't wait for the Verna and Fiesta to be launched. Would be really interesting then too see this segment. A buyer has a lot of options now, City, Vento, Verna, Fiesta 2011, Linea. A healthy competition always benefits a customer!!!
Old 20th April 2011, 21:30   #852
BHPian

I had been from comibatore to Kodaikanal last week and spotted a couple of these new-vernas. They had RED registration plates.

Is it just zigwheels or was there was a media testdrive (with all mags, TBHP and all)?
Old 20th April 2011, 21:33   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This picture from zigwheels looks pretty alarming..the car is pushed hard and some body roll is evident. Notice the position of front right tyre and the alloy wheel.
At first glance it does look alarming. But if you notice carefully, it seems like its a hilly region & the Verna is:
A) Being pushed hard
B) the picture is taken when the car is at the turn (exactly on it) and the road from where it was coming is going downhill & the road it is joining is a level higher, hence creating this alarming picture as the car is in a small bump which is lower than both roads (look carefully, it is noticeable).

But the good thing is that even after going through this, the front bumper is not kissing the road & even the body roll doesnt look all that much given the above circumstances. So thats a very positive thing. Id say the picture is positive rather than negative

Last edited by Xehaust : 20th April 2011 at 21:36.
Old 20th April 2011, 21:40   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
At first glance it does look alarming. But if you notice carefully, it seems like its a hilly region & the Verna is:
A) Being pushed hard
B) the picture is taken when the car is at the turn (exactly on it) and the road from where it was coming is going downhill & the road it is joining is a level higher, hence creating this alarming picture as the car is in a small bump which is lower than both roads (look carefully, it is noticeable).

But the good thing is that even after going through this, the front bumper is not kissing the road & even the body roll doesnt look all that much given the above circumstances. So thats a very positive thing. Id say the picture is positive rather than negative
Completely agree, if anything this is something to be happy about. One look at the angle of attack should pretty much prove that it would take a pretty sharp incline and some pretty lousy driving for the bumper to kiss the earth.
Old 20th April 2011, 21:57   #855
Senior - BHPian

You guys can iterate all you want but unfortunately you cant change the fact that Verna was never good in Handling department. Infact there is no Hyundai product that offers acceptable handling that allow you to push hard into corners. They make cars for am janata and what the am janata cares is ride at city speeds. They have done their homework pretty well and so have a look at the results. I10 and I20 are just flying off the shelves.
Now the fact is the new Verna has got a great equipment list. A great engine / transmission list. A decent look both inside and out. And off-course unmatched network and A.S.S. But unfortunately you cant have it all and thats where the Handling, the steering feedback, the high speed stability etc comes in.
Verna is indeed a great package. And irrespective of how the handling is it will top the sales chart. Provided it is priced sensible.
However as per the zigwheels photo it is surely is a terrible handler. And the only solution to this is a Verna sports.

Last edited by oxyzen : 20th April 2011 at 21:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed