Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 10:21   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India

One interesting fact (observation):

ACI reports that the 1.6U2 Verna is quicker than the Vento TDI ONLY by a negligible whisker. Its reporsta timing of 0-100 timing of 11.1 sec for Verna vs 11.xx (lower half) timing of Vento. It also says that the Vento diesel is much quicker than Verna diesel in the all important in-gear timings, which reflect the drivability measure.

Surprisingly, it says the Verna petrol is quicker than the Verna diesel. Although, I only trust t-bhp for its reviews, ACI is the second most reliable source. Surprising , ain't it?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 26th April 2011 at 10:23.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:22   #932
BHPian

@shatrughna, there are few pictures of purple 'ANHV' which I posted some pages back(page no 50), please treat yourself.

I observed, one more new stuff, there is an online poll going on ACI about the looks of three cars and guess, who are the contenders?
1) 'NFS' with 27% votes
2) 'ANHV' with 37% votes
3) 'ANHC' with 36% votes
The poll is visible on the landing page of ACI and 'ANHV' leading the brigade, hurray.
ajaynaphade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 13:24   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
One interesting fact (observation):

ACI reports that the 1.6U2 Verna is quicker than the Vento TDI ONLY by a negligible whisker. Its reporsta timing of 0-100 timing of 11.1 sec for Verna vs 11.xx (lower half) timing of Vento. It also says that the Vento diesel is much quicker than Verna diesel in the all important in-gear timings, which reflect the drivability measure.

Surprisingly, it says the Verna petrol is quicker than the Verna diesel. Although, I only trust t-bhp for its reviews, ACI is the second most reliable source. Surprising , ain't it?
I believe ACI is correct about the Vento & Verna diesels. GTO in his Vento review had rated it absolutely a blast to drive with near zero lag! And I have at couple of places read that the AHNV has considerable lag below 2K rpm. So all those extra power is going to come into play at a later stage than 0-100 kmph.

Now thats surprising to hear Verna P is quicker than Verna D. So what does it say - whether the Verna P is much better than the current gen Verna or the new Verna D is not as great as the current gen Verna D?
Old 26th April 2011, 14:20   #934
BHPian

ACI video review of new Verna is available in this link-

Hyundai Verna video review | Autocar India

According to the reviewer 1.6 diesel is the pick of the lot.

Again as expected handling is not Verna's forte.
kevintomin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 15:37   #935
BHPian

Thank you ajay. Last evening I did that and sent a copy to my wife too. She liked it ( since it was her choice of color), but now as expected- she want to see ice blue color sample too..( yeh dil maange more ).

Its good to see that many people like the looks of AHNV but that surely is not one of the criteria that I would select or reject a car for. Its overall package with okay looks- basically , I find most cars similar from outside except some bonus lines, grill shape, headlight and backlight design, boot, tapering of the rooflines etc. but what actually matters is how well does it drive, how fast it is what is the cost and what is the kmpl apart from after sales service network ( preferences are not necessarily in the same order) . I had watched the autocar show on bloomberg and remember the presenter saying that it doesnt have the same explosive boom of acceleration as in the current verna - and for some reasons , he mentioned- that its a good thing that acceleration is now more linear, gentler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
@shatrughna, there are few pictures of purple 'ANHV' which I posted some pages back(page no 50), please treat yourself.

I observed, one more new stuff, there is an online poll going on ACI about the looks of three cars and guess, who are the contenders?
1) 'NFS' with 27% votes
2) 'ANHV' with 37% votes
3) 'ANHC' with 36% votes
The poll is visible on the landing page of ACI and 'ANHV' leading the brigade, hurray.
Old 26th April 2011, 16:56   #936
BHPian

New Verna to available in 6 colors only

- Silver
- Grey
- Beige
- Purple
- White
- Black
Old 26th April 2011, 18:31   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_rising View Post
New Verna to available in 6 colors only

- Silver
- Grey
- Beige
- Purple
- White
- Black
Silver , as informed to me - is in two shades and in your list color red is missing - so could you please, re-check. Now lets see which dealer has better information ( unless you have some insider information , which of course should be correct).
Old 26th April 2011, 18:31   #938
BHPian

@shatrughna, same story here (Wi-Fi, she likes Carbon Gray very much) .
Well here are few pictures of ice-blue ‘ANHV’.
Regarding auto shows on television, somehow I have lost interest as well as faith in these shows. Sometimes these shows are too biased.

I just have blind faith in Team-BHP reviews so I am just waiting to get it published.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-vernaiceblue1.jpg  

2011 Hyundai Verna (RB) Edit: Now spotted testing in India-vernaiceblue2.jpg  

ajaynaphade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 19:10   #939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
It also says that the Vento diesel is much quicker than Verna diesel in the all important in-gear timings, which reflect the drivability measure.
Is there the in-gear acceleration timings available for Verna. I believe in this department the diesel will be as good as vento since it has got 6 speed. Which means more shorter gearing and hence definite advantage.
Old 26th April 2011, 20:29   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Is there the in-gear acceleration timings available for Verna. I believe in this department the diesel will be as good as vento since it has got 6 speed. Which means more shorter gearing and hence definite advantage.
But what if Hyundai had opted for normal ratios for the first 5 gears and a very low ratio for the 6th gear owing to the higher torque the engine produces?
Old 26th April 2011, 20:53   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
But what if Hyundai had opted for normal ratios for the first 5 gears and a very low ratio for the 6th gear owing to the higher torque the engine produces?
Can happen. no doubt about it. But generally this is not the case.

BTW even if both Vento and Verna has the same gear ratios (or more correctly V1000) you can not say for sure Verna will have better in gear acceleration. There are a lot of parameters that affects acceleration. But you can be 75% sure that with similar gearing and equal weight the car with more torque will produce better in gear acceleration.

So lets wait till the figures come out. I don't think they will be disappointing.
Old 26th April 2011, 21:06   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Can happen. no doubt about it. But generally this is not the case.

BTW even if both Vento and Verna has the same gear ratios (or more correctly V1000) you can not say for sure Verna will have better in gear acceleration. There are a lot of parameters that affects acceleration. But you can be 75% sure that with similar gearing and equal weight the car with more torque will produce better in gear acceleration.

So lets wait till the figures come out. I don't think they will be disappointing.
But the rpm at which the peak torque is delivered also has to be taken into account. If the torque below the peak torque band is very less (turbo lag) then the in-gear figures might suffer. Partially this effect was also responsible for the explosive pick up of the previous Verna after the turbo had spooled up. But in-gear acceleration figures weren't very impressive.
Old 26th April 2011, 21:34   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the rpm at which the peak torque is delivered also has to be taken into account. If the torque below the peak torque band is very less (turbo lag) then the in-gear figures might suffer.
True but again depends on your gearing. With shorter gearing you can make the turbo lag a little less. In fact what is needed is the spread of torque approximately in the 1500-3500 rev range.
20-80 in 3rd gear is a true test of lag. Many cars will be panting to raise their speed from 20-40. Above 40 in 3rd gear diesel motors have nothing to fear.

However after these reviews I don't think I need to cancel my Vento booking. But I have to admit I am falling for if nothing, at-least the 6 speed transmission. Anyway where the hell is the team-bhp review? This the the only review that I trust no matter what!
Old 26th April 2011, 21:49   #944
BHPian

Quote:
True but again depends on your gearing. With shorter gearing you can make the turbo lag a little less. In fact what is needed is the spread of torque approximately in the 1500-3500 rev range.
20-80 in 3rd gear is a true test of lag. Many cars will be panting to raise their speed from 20-40. Above 40 in 3rd gear diesel motors have nothing to fear.

However after these reviews I don't think I need to cancel my Vento booking. But I have to admit I am falling for if nothing, at-least the 6 speed transmission. Anyway where the hell is the team-bhp review? This the the only review that I trust no matter what!
Actually, apart from the handling, what else is making you go in favour of the Vento? All these reviews have praised almost everything else. I'm just being a little too curious now
Old 26th April 2011, 22:53   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, apart from the handling, what else is making you go in favour of the Vento? All these reviews have praised almost everything else. I'm just being a little too curious now
Badge value it is. German vs Korean. No competition.

I did not like the interior design of Vento. Its a bit mundane. Don't even like the one in verna that much as well. But it is the fiesta's interior design that is amazing. To be true other than performance and handling I have no other requirements. No need of huge equipment lists. Just basic safety features like ABS, Airbags will do. A brand image is good to have and a lower price is welcome.

if Polo came with the 1.6 Diesel I would not have looked anywhere else.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed