Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2005, 14:05   #16
Max
BHPian

where do you get tubeless tyre repairing kit ? its good for vacation in remote areas !
Old 8th December 2005, 14:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Shops in Opera house area should have.
Old 8th December 2005, 14:40   #18
Team-BHP Support

The problem is that one big crater on highway can bend your steel rims. I had to replace my rim as straigtened rim was too rough for fitting the tubeless tyre. Unless we start getting stronger steel rims on entry level cars this will be a big detterent
Old 8th December 2005, 14:51   #19
BHPian

How much does a tubeless tyre cost? (for Alto/Santro etc.)
Old 8th December 2005, 14:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

A steel rim costs anywhere from Rs.500-800. Thats not a big amount considering the safety you get in return from a tubeless tyre.

And I've been running with tubeless tyres on steel rims for almost 2 years and on all sorts of roads. Never had a problem yet.
Old 8th December 2005, 14:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
How much does a tubeless tyre cost? (for Alto/Santro etc.)

tubeless tires cost more or less the same as a tubetype tire of teh same size...

about rims getting bent ...i hit a stone on nh4 doing 160 ...as it was an alloy rim ..the tire got a bulge ...as it was my front left tire ..i just put it in th rear and drove on..had it been a tube type tire or had i been using a steel rim ...the story would have been different ...rudra has seen that tire ....tubeless tires anytime
Old 8th December 2005, 15:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Is alloy wheels stable when it hit a pothole? Stable in the sense atleast to the extent of Rims.
Old 8th December 2005, 15:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
A steel rim costs anywhere from Rs.500-800. Thats not a big amount considering the safety you get in return from a tubeless tyre.

And I've been running with tubeless tyres on steel rims for almost 2 years and on all sorts of roads. Never had a problem yet.
You meant to say that to fit tubeless tyre, I first need to change the wheel rim as well?
Old 8th December 2005, 15:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

only if the existing one is bent
Old 8th December 2005, 15:48   #25
BHPian

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p.../tlt_const.htm

summerizes all on tubeless tyres
Old 8th December 2005, 19:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

who cares if they are selling well or not because i have worn out lots of pairs of tubeless rubber on my cars and i know th benefits and i keep singing about them,and i think tube type tyres are a thing of past,then who cares people still buy esteem and zen but i cant even think of them same is the case for tyres,TUBELESS TYRES ROCK....
Old 9th December 2005, 04:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Infact if you do more highway trips, a tubeless tyre is an even greater necessity.
- You can continue driving even if you get a nail or large thorn in your tyre. This is useful to get you out of dangerous places on the road and into a safe area to change the tyre if you have to. [/u]
I drove about 2000km with a flat tubeless, monitoring and topping up tyre pressure every few hundred kilometers till i got back to bangalore! No problemo! Typically the pressure drop is about 1-2 psi every few hundred kilometers. MUCH SAFER than tube type
Old 9th December 2005, 10:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
And I've been running with tubeless tyres on steel rims for almost 2 years and on all sorts of roads. Never had a problem yet
From what've i have read here(in other threads) i got the impression that tubless tyres will perform well only if we have alloys.

Will they work as well on steel rims as on alloys? Bcoz not everyone wants to spend 15-20K on alloys( an upgrade which is mainly for cosmetic purposes and with limited practical utility).

So for the old cars if you want to go tubeless, is it enough to just replace the tyre and continue with the same steel rim?
Old 9th December 2005, 12:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Repairing Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
where do you get tubeless tyre repairing kit ? its good for vacation in remote areas !
Tubeless anytime, Ive been using it for 4 years now and have had only 1 puncture.

The kit is now available feely for about Rs.200/- from any Good Year dealer. They quote any fancy price; they asked for 350, I bought it for 200/-/.

-- Ramky
Old 9th December 2005, 15:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Bcoz not everyone wants to spend 15-20K on alloys( an upgrade which is mainly for cosmetic purposes and with limited practical utility).
My impression is that its 50-50 for cosmetic value versus technical advantages. Alloy manufacturers claim a lot of things apart from looks, but the important ones which I tend to believe are -

- Alloys are machined with greater precision, thereby providing very good dynamic balance. This will result in improvement in ride quality, especially at moderate and above speeds (no wobblings).
(not sure if well balanced steel rims can also match them ??)

- Alloys will get chipped/cracked if exposed to extreem stress, but will never bend. Seel rims can bend rather easily (unless you have very smooth roads or you are too patient a driver, to a level which may be quite frustrating for many others!)

- Their suitability to tubeless tyres

Other benifits, which I don't know how practically useful they are-

- lighter in weight, thereby improving pickup, braking, steering and mileage. lesser unsprung weight also improves ride.
- better heat dessipation from brake discs/drums due to better heat conductivity and more ventilation. It provides better braking performance and brake/tyre life.
- better handling/cornering (wondering how this happens?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks