Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2005, 17:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
From what've i have read here(in other threads) i got the impression that tubless tyres will perform well only if we have alloys.

Will they work as well on steel rims as on alloys? Bcoz not everyone wants to spend 15-20K on alloys( an upgrade which is mainly for cosmetic purposes and with limited practical utility).

So for the old cars if you want to go tubeless, is it enough to just replace the tyre and continue with the same steel rim?
Most cars in Europe run tubeless on steel rims. Not sure how the bad road factor in india would neccesitate the need for alloys as opposed to steel rims.

Last edited by bigman : 9th December 2005 at 17:21.
Old 9th December 2005, 17:39   #32
BHPian

Have been using tubeless tyres from 2001 and will continue using them. Only recently have tyre companies started creating awareness and tubeless tyres are only now picking up. Tubeless tyres are the future!

If you drive a lot on the highways then its good to keep a spare tube in the car. if there is a puncture and there is no store to repair tubeless tyres you can just use the tube. Also a tubeless tyre takes ages to deflate.

There is also a tubeless tyre repair kit called Omni available for Rs.200. But its difficult to fix the puncture with these kits. I tried real hard to fix a puncture but did not succeed.

All said and done Tubeless have far too many advantanges than disadvantages.
Old 15th December 2005, 22:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Is alloy wheels stable when it hit a pothole? Stable in the sense atleast to the extent of Rims.
if you hit a pot hole really hard, you will bend your steel rim and it will cost you a max of Rs 800 to replace it.

If you hit the same pothole really hard with an alloy, you MIGHT break it, depending on the quality of the wheel! A single alloy would probably cost you Rs 3000. But not all imported alloys are available as single pieces.

I have run with tubeless tyres on steel rims for over 35k kms.
During that period, I had a REAL problem only once when at about 11pm i hit a nasty pothole at about 120kmph and bent a steel rim. Had to change wheels on the road in the darkness.

On the bright side, it was only a steel rim which cost me Rs 700 and it taught me a lesson on speeding on unknown roads in the dark :-)
Old 15th December 2005, 23:27   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
- Alloys will get chipped/cracked if exposed to extreem stress, but will never bend. Seel rims can bend rather easily (unless you have very smooth roads or you are too patient a driver, to a level which may be quite frustrating for many others!)
your statement is entirely wrong alloys can bend but they dont crack.
Old 15th December 2005, 23:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman

your statement is wrong buddy.alloy rims will never bend when damadged.they will either crack or break.only steel rims bend and can be repaired.

rev
Old 15th December 2005, 23:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
your statement is wrong buddy.alloy rims will never bend when damadged.they will either crack or break.only steel rims bend and can be repaired.

rev
i have been using alloys for years ,i have lots of bent alloys in my garage,i almost changed the whole set for my indica due to bent alloys,and i changed 1 alloy rim for my cielo.i have driven for lakhs of kilometers on alloy rims i have lots of bent rims with me but i never heard of a alloy rim cracking,if it cracks it is covered under warranty.
Old 16th December 2005, 00:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

i dont doubt your knowledge but are you sure you arent talking about steel.because as far as i know and heard alloys dont bend but crack or break.
and the warranty is only against maufacturing defects.if you drive like a mad man and damagde your rim it does not get replaced under warranty.

Rev
Old 16th December 2005, 02:44   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i dont doubt your knowledge but are you sure you arent talking about steel.because as far as i know and heard alloys dont bend but crack or break.
and the warranty is only against maufacturing defects.if you drive like a mad man and damagde your rim it does not get replaced under warranty.

Rev
i know what alloy wheels are and how do they look like,this knowledge is a through my personal experience.and i know the difference between steels rims and alloys and i have alloys with tubeless cars on most of my cars from years from the time i bought them and i know it cant be possible that i have paid for alloys and the dealer sold me steel wheels and if you still have doubts come over to my place and check it out.
Old 16th December 2005, 02:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
as far as i know and heard alloys dont bend but crack or break.
Even from whatever I have heard alloys break!!! but then we are deviating from the tubeless tyres topic arent we...
Old 16th December 2005, 04:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey Rev, I've got an bent alloy wheel sitting in the garage. since the tire was tubeless, I had a slow leak which the tirewalla figured out later. There are many companies in the US who are in the business of straightening out alloys.
By SAE, no chassis component should experience a catastrophic failure that will lead to a loss of control.
Old 16th December 2005, 16:34   #41
DRC
BHPian

Question is which alloy..
Iron+corbon

OR

Aluminium+ magnisium??
Old 16th December 2005, 17:01   #42
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
If you drive a lot on the highways then its good to keep a spare tube in the car. if there is a puncture and there is no store to repair tubeless tyres you can just use the tube.
How can one put the tube in a punctured tubeless if removing and putting back the tubeless needs special tools? Am I missing something
Old 16th December 2005, 18:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

We say alloy wheels tend to break or crack. Will it be managble to drive to tyre shop with that crack or broken alloy ( Iam aware that spare wheel will come handy ) Just want to find this out

Last edited by Surprise : 16th December 2005 at 18:38.
Old 16th December 2005, 18:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
pardon me for being little off-topic, but let me clarify...

Well, it depends on the kind of material used and we are essentially making a relative comparison of their physical properties... I believe the statement applies very well to cast alluminium alloys (most common type), which are much more prone to break than to bend as compared to steel. However, there are costlier forged alloys which tend to bend, which is better from safty point of view... and then there are even multi-piece ones which may use combination of forged and casted pieces joined together. can you plz tell which type does your bent alloy belong to?
Old 16th December 2005, 18:52   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
From what've i have read here(in other threads) i got the impression that tubless tyres will perform well only if we have alloys.

Will they work as well on steel rims as on alloys? Bcoz not everyone wants to spend 15-20K on alloys( an upgrade which is mainly for cosmetic purposes and with limited practical utility).

So for the old cars if you want to go tubeless, is it enough to just replace the tyre and continue with the same steel rim?
Actually alloys have other utilities beyond their cosmetic appeal. They are lighter than steel rims. So obviously the weight of the wheels go down. This increases the pick-up, steering response, FE as well as reduce tire wear and tear. Also, the braking response gets better because the brake discs/drums get better ventilation.

Now add the benifits that acrue with the alloy+tubeless tires... all of a sudden it may seem like a worthwhile investment to you bro

Most Viewed