Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2005, 18:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36
How can one put the tube in a punctured tubeless if removing and putting back the tubeless needs special tools? Am I missing something

any decent tire shop can handle tubeless tires...tubeless tires have a special valve ...while tubetype have the valves for filling air on the tubes....
Old 17th December 2005, 20:56   #47
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
any decent tire shop can handle tubeless tires...tubeless tires have a special valve ...while tubetype have the valves for filling air on the tubes....
Then the tyre itself can be repaired... what's the logic of carrying a spare tube?
Infact, I've read/heard this logic of carrying a spare tube with tubeless, a number of times.. but confusion persists!
Old 17th December 2005, 21:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

The valves on my tubeless tyres, are use and throw. Which means that if i have to remove them, i'll have to cut them out and won't be able to use them again.

I really don't see any sense in this tube rule. I'd rather carry a tubed-tyre fitted onto a steel rim, as a 2nd spare (just to be safe).

Shan2nu
Old 18th December 2005, 02:50   #49
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well... this happened right now.... 2:30am..
banged my car (wagonR).. into a pothole (it hurts)

was doing about 75km/h...

Air started leaking there and then.... i managed to hop home as it was just 3 kms. By the time I parked it was a FLAT!.

now whatever i do.. I can never convince anyone in my family to get tubeless tyres on other cars..... now you know y don't they sell!

If the tyre would have given up there.... i would have had to change the tyre on a totally dark road at 2:30am!!!... in a chilling 3-5 degree temp!

Last edited by SLK : 18th December 2005 at 03:04.
Old 18th December 2005, 14:23   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Well... this happened right now.... 2:30am..
banged my car (wagonR).. into a pothole (it hurts)

was doing about 75km/h...

Air started leaking there and then.... i managed to hop home as it was just 3 kms. By the time I parked it was a FLAT!.

now whatever i do.. I can never convince anyone in my family to get tubeless tyres on other cars..... now you know y don't they sell!

If the tyre would have given up there.... i would have had to change the tyre on a totally dark road at 2:30am!!!... in a chilling 3-5 degree temp!
Well SLK... if you are saying that they they do not sell because people are afraid that they will start leaking the moment they hit a pothole then the other side of the stroy is that if you hit a pothole at around 80 odd kmph speed then the tire is bound to give up... And if by any chance the tire manages to hold thru then the axle will give up or something else will break or bend.

A few days back I hit a pothole at around 50-60 kmph. The car had a steel-pressed rim with normal tires. Although the tire did not suffer a puncture the rim bent so badly that it started rubbing against the front absorber arms... I had to replace the wheel immediately on the highway. So there you are.

As far as your family is concerned you have the other aspect of the story to sell. Had it not been a tubeless the tire would have blown out then and there. That would have meant all those hardships you mentioned at the dead of the night.
Old 18th December 2005, 14:51   #51
Team-BHP Support

another advantage with the tubeless is that if you can see the nail or cause - drive up to the next filling station, remove the nail, clean the hole, bung in the plug , snip the excess and fill up to pressure...without removing wheel.

I had a puncture and wtched the guys repair it - very easy
Old 18th December 2005, 16:13   #52
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
As far as your family is concerned you have the other aspect of the story to sell.
I did that already... but... didn't sell well

Anyways... in the morning I managed to get the rim back into workable shape... using a hammer..... drove to a rim repair shop... and got both (I didn't realise my rear rim had also given up, at night) rims repaired.

So i guess a hammer is also an essential part of the tubeless repair kit.

Last edited by SLK : 18th December 2005 at 16:15.
Old 19th December 2005, 14:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

change your rims .....and hencforth drive carfeully...no use in continuing with such bent rims and get your alignment and your driveshaft checked as well
Old 19th December 2005, 16:03   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Hmmm... looks like exactly what happened to my rim. Only that the serious one happened from inside instead of the outer side as in your case. I could not drive it at all as the damned thing was creating a racket by rubbing against the shockers.

Yaa hammers work wonder in these cases, probably proving that at times nothing beats our desi engineering skills! Will need to get the alignment cheked though.
Old 19th December 2005, 16:10   #55
BHPian

Well, here is my experience. After the unfortunate tire meets monster pot hole incident, which left the tire useless, the car was still under control. There was air loss but not the violent type that leads to loss of control as in normal tires. Guess the same with a tube type tire could have been worse.
Old 19th December 2005, 18:36   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
Well, here is my experience. After the unfortunate tire meets monster pot hole incident, which left the tire useless, the car was still under control. There was air loss but not the violent type that leads to loss of control as in normal tires. Guess the same with a tube type tire could have been worse.
Harrie. I feel that the tubed tires do not burst so easily... that is unless they are already bald and are on their way out. However, because they do not burst so easily they wreak havoc elsewhere by transferring the energy of the shock. You may end up having a wreaked rim, axle, arms... anything. Tubeless tires on the other hand are more prone to loosing pressure and the harm to the other parts are thus lessened in general.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks