Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2005, 09:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless tyres have not caught on in India

Here's another nasty surprise: Tubeless tyres are NOT selling well in India....

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/dec/08tube.htm
Old 8th December 2005, 10:12   #2
cnu
BHPian

The situation would just turn around if all the manufacturers start giving tubeless tires as the stock tires. Many people just go in for tube tyres while replacement just because the original tyres came with a tube.
Old 8th December 2005, 10:24   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Unsurprisingly, the article mentions several times that there is a lack of awareness. This is entirely the fault of the marketeers i.e. the tyre manufacturers.

Another problem, certainly, is the lack of repair facilities especially on highways. I placed this problem on a drive back from Goa where we came across several tyre shops but not one was ready to open a tubeless tyre.

Tubeless tyres have huge inherent benefits, which more than outweigh the marginal cost difference over the tubed variety.

Its just a matter of proper implementation (marketing, support and otherwise).

GTO
Old 8th December 2005, 10:29   #4
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Unsurprisingly, the article mentions several times that there is a lack of awareness.

Its just a matter of proper implementation (marketing, support and otherwise).
GTO
All these intiatives will roll out automatically if all the manufacturers start giving tubeless tires as the stock tires.
Old 8th December 2005, 10:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I placed this problem on a drive back from Goa where we came across several tyre shops but not one was ready to open a tubeless tyre.
What's the problem you faced with? Is that due to puncture? The reason why Iam asking is that I was under the impression, even if the tyre got punctured, we will be able to manage it with filling the air & reaching the destination as the air will get released slowly or you want keep ready one as stepney
Old 8th December 2005, 11:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Who cares if they're not selling. All i know, is that my car has them and they're safer.

My trust towards tubeless tyres isn't dependant on how many people buy them.

Shan2nu
Old 8th December 2005, 11:45   #7
BHPian

The reason they are not selling quite well is that there are many rumours in the market regarding they being unsafe and so on...
Old 8th December 2005, 12:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

The support issue is major. If you get a puncture on a highway you can definately get a tube tyre repaired, as for tubeless even in towns its hard to find a repair shop.

Other major factor is road conditions. Tubeless tyres + Bent rims is a strict no no. So the ideal option is tubeless + alloys, but how many people afford alloys?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th December 2005 at 12:16.
Old 8th December 2005, 12:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Another problem, certainly, is the lack of repair facilities especially on highways. I placed this problem on a drive back from Goa where we came across several tyre shops but not one was ready to open a tubeless tyre.
GTO
This more than anything deterred me while going for them as I am bound to do plenty of highway trips than city drives.

I agree that if stock tyres are tubeless (atleast on higher end variants) it will increase awareness and address the above problem of repair facilities .
Old 8th December 2005, 13:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
This more than anything deterred me while going for them as I am bound to do plenty of highway trips than city drives.
That's a very strong one Abhay. Tubeless is a much better bet than a tube one in any situation. Roadside repair facility should not bother you. I wouldn’t give my tyre to any roadside shop anyway. They don’t have the right equipment to open a tyre.

You can keep a small foot pump and tyre repair kit in your car.

Another point. One doesn’t have to go for alloy to fit tubeless. A clean no bent steel pressed disk is more than sufficient.
Old 8th December 2005, 13:49   #11
BHPian

You don't need to open the tyre (take it off the wheel-rim) to repair a puncture in a tubeless. When I got a puncture, the repair shop removed the wheel, pulled out the nail, inserted a "plug" in the same direction the nail had gone in and tested the repair for any leakage. The complete process took 15 mins and cost Rs. 70.
Old 8th December 2005, 13:50   #12
Max
BHPian

my tyre man told me that machine is required to open tubeless tyre and it should not be given to ordinary tyre fix shops as they do not have machine to open tubeless tyres and they use hammer and all sort of fancy tools which will harm the rim and as a result of this tyre will not be able to maintain proper air pressure.

I also seen some kind of advertisements in TV where they sold one magical liquid which will auto fix punctures in tubeless tyre !. Has anyone tried it yet ? does that work?
Old 8th December 2005, 13:54   #13
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi
You don't need to open the tyre (take it off the wheel-rim) to repair a puncture in a tubeless. When I got a puncture, the repair shop removed the wheel, pulled out the nail, inserted a "plug" in the same direction the nail had gone in and tested the repair for any leakage. The complete process took 15 mins and cost Rs. 70.
maharashtra tyre repairer association has Rs.100 rate fixed for fixing tubeless tyre puncture. that i think is lot ! 70 sounds okay.
Old 8th December 2005, 13:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

Infact if you do more highway trips, a tubeless tyre is an even greater necessity.
- It is much safer as it does not "blow out" like a tubed tyre.
- You can continue driving even if you get a nail or large thorn in your tyre. This is useful to get you out of dangerous places on the road and into a safe area to change the tyre if you have to. I once drove from Kholapur to Bombay through the night with a nail in my tyre. There was no way I was stopping on dark 2 lane highways to change a flat at 2am.
- Tubeless tyres provide a much better ride quality

To put your mind completly at ease on long trips, carry a spare tube with you to use in case of emergencies.

To conclude, there should be no reason for anyone NOT to buy tubeless tyres anymore.
Old 8th December 2005, 13:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi
inserted a "plug" in the same direction
That's what I mean by tyre repairing kit.
You get a set of special rubber compound strips to plug in the hole with all the tools you need.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks