Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmachine View Post
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
I did contact an agent as well and he said I just need to pay the road tax and I can drive without any issues.
However I am still not sure about the refund from here once I go back.
As you all are aware, I haven't taken the NOC fron UP because I want to retain my reg. number, and I do not want to go into a loop of taking an NOC and then getting it cancelled, thats too much of a trouble. So in this case what will be the process of getting the tax refund when I go back, what will stand as a proof that the vehicle came into the state for a small period of time and after leaving it will never be back ?

Taking everyones views into perspective, I will pay the road tax and drive tension free.
When you pay road tax you'll get the receipt with date mentioned. When you apply for refund then the receipt date will be used to compute the duration of stay and tax deducted accordingly. You'll be eligible for remaining tax refund.
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:50   #17

Hi Maxmachine,

I recently moved from Gurgaon to Hyderabad and can truly understand your situation as I was in the same condition till last month.

To answer your question:
  1. In Hyderabad you can manage by simply paying the road tax ( Lifetime or Yearly/Quarter depends on how long you are planning to stay in the city.
  2. If your car is new i.e. less than 15 months old, you will have to pay Entry tax as well. Another pain-point. This is done at the CTO office. For Madhapur area the commercial tax officer sits in the Gagan Vihar building, near Nampalli.
  3. For Road tax payment of Madhapur/Hitech City Area, you will have to go to the Attapur RTA office, where depending on the age of the car they will tell you the tax amount. For new cars its 12%, for less than one year 11 %, for 2-3 years 10% and so on.
  4. You can manage without the Agents and get the road tax work done in one day itself, as in Hyderabad there is not much corruption. Just make sure that you are not going on any holiday. If you reach the RTO office by 10 am, you can get your work done by 12. They look at your papers and quote you the tax amount. Then you can get demand draft made from nearby banks. For the road tax, the car needs to be inspected by the tax inspector, Its just a formality but make sure that you are taking your car to the RTO office.
  5. In hyderabad, you can manage without Telugu. I have been here for 10 years ( went out for a couple of years to NCR) and I am still managing well without learning Telugu
But in general, I feel the Indian government should do some thing in this regard. Now a days we do lots of job hopping and keep moving from one city to another. And it becomes really cumbersome to deal with road tax matters in any new place.

Quote:
Dear BHPians

I have recently shifted to Hyderabad from Noida. I am going to stay in Hyderabad for a period of 2-3 years. What are the legal obligations that I have to take care of before I can drive my car in Hyderabad wihout any hassle. I have done some research on BHP.COM and found a couple of answers:
1) Life time road tax without change of registration and without an NOC from UP.
2) Quaterly road tax without change of registration.
3) Life time road tax with change of registration and NOC from UP.
However haven't found any definative answer wrt Hyderabad.

Informed people please guide in the right direction. Also if someone could give me contact details of some genuine agent who could sort this out for me, it would highly be appreciated. Going to the RTO and finding out for myself doesn't sound fruitful because of my lack of understanding of the Telugu language.

Thanks
rockysays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
When you pay road tax you'll get the receipt with date mentioned. When you apply for refund then the receipt date will be used to compute the duration of stay and tax deducted accordingly. You'll be eligible for remaining tax refund.
Would this work out the same way if I buy a car in Madhya Pradesh and drive in Maharashtra?

Just pay the road tax and thats it?
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:23   #19

Thanks a ton Rocky.
I stay in the Miyapur area, so which RTA office should I go to ?
My car is nearing 3 years of its age, so I won't have to pay any entry tax I believe.
And is it possible to pay road tax in an yearly/quaterly basis. Remember I am not a govt. employee but the poor IT professional , from what I have heard it can be done for govt. employees only, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysays View Post
To answer your question:
  1. In Hyderabad you can manage by simply paying the road tax ( Lifetime or Yearly/Quarter depends on how long you are planning to stay in the city..
Are you sure about yearly/ quarterly amounts? AFAIK you dont have these options and instead one needs to pay only the lifetime amount.

Last edited by vnabhi : 22nd October 2010 at 18:15.
Old 26th October 2010, 04:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is the Central Govt mandate about changing registrations
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 20:47   #22
BHPian

My experience with Belgaum RTO

I had an unpleasant experience with RTO in Belgaum, Karnataka during my stay there. I brought our Family's Maruti 800 ( 15 year old at that time and Delhi Registered ) from Delhi in 2004. I did not know that RC book had expired when I bought the vehicle there( too busy to look at the papers of the car due to shifting) and was busy with my studies when I reached Belgaum .
One fine day in December of 2005, while filling petrol in a nearby petrol station ( around 7 am), a person in a stationary Tata Sumo summoned me , So I went to him and he said he said he was an officer working in RTO and asked me show papers( registration booklet , insurance, PUC) of the car and I showed it to him and the Police officer accompanying as asked me Why haven't you paid tax ?
I was perplexed , he said he will confiscate the vehicle and start legal proceeding against me. So I tried to convince him and seeing that I accepted my mistake( took lot of time ) , He challaned me for Rs 4,000 and warned me he will confiscate the car if road tax is not paid

So I called my Father regarding this road tax mess I was stuck. My father then contacted his colleague in Ministry of road transport and he asked me go to RTO and then on seeing that this vehicle will be used only for few years the official at the RTO asked me to pay a nominal amount of money (Rs 3,000)towards registration and other expenses.
So the car was now had new number( karnataka registration) and no more hassles.The car was registered in my mother's name (since Delhi) and continued till we sold the car.
I was just 19 years at that time of this incident but lot of things I have learned in these years.The mistake was totally on my part so I will not blame others.Since then I am very careful with Papers of the car.
So anybody shifting on temporary basis to other states please go to respective RTO offices and pay road tax( also see your car papers are proper)as it is better to be safe than sorry.
FrozeninTime is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2010, 14:42   #23

I hope I am not too late in answering this.
  • For Miyapur area also, you need to go to the Attapur RTA.
  • Yeah you don't need to pay entry tax.
  • I think you can pay yearly tax, the amount you need to check there only
Quote:
Thanks a ton Rocky.
I stay in the Miyapur area, so which RTA office should I go to ?
My car is nearing 3 years of its age, so I won't have to pay any entry tax I believe.
And is it possible to pay road tax in an yearly/quaterly basis. Remember I am not a govt. employee but the poor IT professional , from what I have heard it can be done for govt. employees only, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 26th October 2012, 17:07   #24
BHPian

Re: Driving a car in Hyderabad with UP number...legal obligations...

Dear All,

Is there any certificate or NOC to be obtained for travelling to any other states than my own? Just as a tourist for a maximum of 1 month?

Pls. guide me as I am planning to go to Jammu via,Amritsar, Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad from Mumbai, which is my home town.

regards,

bbhavan

@vkochar: The LAW does require you to get your vehicle reregistered. The situation in North is different as the road tax amounts are not as obscene as its in south especially in KA and AP hovering around 12-14%. Hence the local government looks at this revenue loss seriously.[/quote]
Old 26th October 2012, 17:49   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Dear All,

Is there any certificate or NOC to be obtained for travelling to any other states than my own? Just as a tourist for a maximum of 1 month?

Pls. guide me as I am planning to go to Jammu via,Amritsar, Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad from Mumbai, which is my home town.

regards,

bbhavan
You don't need any document from your home state while travelling. Just keep all your vehicle papers in order, I don't think any extra document is required. If you want to be extra careful, keep the toll receipts handy. Receipts from ATMs, petrol pump bills, credit card slips can also provide sufficient proof that you have been travelling.

Having said that, there could be places which need you to get special permits to visit. Especially in J&K. You can search for this info in the travel section once you finalize the places you will be visiting.

IIRC there have been quite a few people who have traveled from Mumbai to the hills up north. A swift duo, SX4 come to my mind immediately. Head over to the travelogues where you'll find a lot of information in this aspect. The specific do's and don'ts for each state they crossed.

All the best for your journey!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 11:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Dear All,

regards,

bbhavan
No certificates required.Keep the petrol bills and Toll receipts handy to show the cops in case you are stopped that you are on drive through the state and not a resident of the state.Punjab cops are the most notorious for this.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:27   #27
BHPian

Dear all,

If I were to take my car to another state (TN to Maharashtra) for about 3-4 weeks time, do I need an NOC? Today one traffic cop at Mumbai stopped me and insisted on NOC, but then I persisted that you dont need one for a stay of 4 weeks.

I was however fined for not having PUC certificate for a 11 month old vehicle (company PUC valid only for 6 months).

thanks
Siva
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
maxmachine - Technically it is impossible to prove that whether a person has been staying in a city for less or more than 6 months. So Road Tax inspectors lay a trap near major IT Hubs and catch other state registered vehicles. They know that these owners are working in IT co.s and hence most are there for > 6 months. Unless you have a really convincing answer, the Inspector will seize your license / RC Book and you'll have to go to RTA office to pay road tax and claim your documents back.
I thought that to be true as well but it is not the case. One of my colleagues joined my company from Bangalore and she had driven down her car from Bangalore. More than six months had elapsed. One day her car was stopped by the authorities (not sure whether Traffic Police, RTO etc). She tried the excuse that she was just here for a few weeks on assignment and to her shock the officer punched her vehicle's registration number in some machine and came back with an exact date as to when her car had entered Andhra Pradesh (which was more than 6 months old and though she didn't remember the exact date she drove down, she realised the date given by the officer was either bang on or close enough to her drive down date). She was stumped. She had to pay some challan (a pretty hefty amount) and then she got her registration changed.

I am not sure how they got the data...perhaps toll booth crossing or something else but it was a pretty awesome thing to hear that the officer had that sort of data at his fingertips.

Last edited by IndianGuardian : 3rd December 2012 at 00:58.
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
If I were to take my car to another state (TN to Maharashtra) for about 3-4 weeks time, do I need an NOC? Today one traffic cop at Mumbai stopped me and insisted on NOC, but then I persisted that you dont need one for a stay of 4 weeks.
Any other state car can be used for 6 months period without any NOC. You could use the toll receipt to show it to the traffic police officer that you entered on so & so date and plan to be here just for 4 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
I was however fined for not having PUC certificate for a 11 month old vehicle (company PUC valid only for 6 months).
IIRC, a new car doesn't require PUC certificate for 1 year from the date of registration. Seldom do we know rules, of which innocent people are taken advantage of.
Old 3rd December 2012, 22:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
I thought that to be true as well but it is not the case. One of my colleagues joined my company from Bangalore and she had driven down her car from Bangalore. More than six months had elapsed. One day her car was stopped by the authorities (not sure whether Traffic Police, RTO etc). She tried the excuse that she was just here for a few weeks on assignment and to her shock the officer punched her vehicle's registration number in some machine and came back with an exact date as to when her car had entered Andhra Pradesh (which was more than 6 months old and though she didn't remember the exact date she drove down, she realised the date given by the officer was either bang on or close enough to her drive down date). She was stumped. She had to pay some challan (a pretty hefty amount) and then she got her registration changed.

I am not sure how they got the data...perhaps toll booth crossing or something else but it was a pretty awesome thing to hear that the officer had that sort of data at his fingertips.
It seems these guys have adopted some latest technology

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks