Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 16:13   #1

Driving a car in Hyderabad with UP number...legal obligations...

Dear BHPians

I have recently shifted to Hyderabad from Noida. I am going to stay in Hyderabad for a period of 2-3 years. What are the legal obligations that I have to take care of before I can drive my car in Hyderabad wihout any hassle. I have done some research on BHP.COM and found a couple of answers:
1) Life time road tax without change of registration and without an NOC from UP.
2) Quaterly road tax without change of registration.
3) Life time road tax with change of registration and NOC from UP.
However haven't found any definative answer wrt Hyderabad.

Informed people please guide in the right direction. Also if someone could give me contact details of some genuine agent who could sort this out for me, it would highly be appreciated. Going to the RTO and finding out for myself doesn't sound fruitful because of my lack of understanding of the Telugu language.

Thanks
maxmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 16:25   #2
BHPian

Would appreciate it if someone could guide me regarding relocating from Gurgaon to Chennai as well.

Thanks!
Old 20th October 2010, 16:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is absolutely no rule that says you cannot drive a UP reg car in Hyderabad during your tenure there while working.

A car needs to be registered at your place of residence and the city where you work in / reside in - address proof etc and tax is paid accordingly.

If after that you relocate to another state there is no rule that says pay the tax again !

I stay in UP for the last 18 years and the last 3 cars I brought are from Haryana Gurgaon as I own a flat there. I buy from there because tax is lowest so I save.

Not even 1 time have I been stopped for driving in a HR car.

I understand that UP & HR share broders so no big deal as we find Delhi, UP, HR all over.

It is however a problem when a UP car is spotted in AP State. Cops tend to stop you and check your papers as they probably think you are a tourist or visitor.

My advise would be - keep you car legally OK - no tints, proper number plates, all papers original including pollution. And chances are that when you do get stopped you have everything so no worries there.

No Law In my opinion says that you need to get your car re registered.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 16:51   #4
BHPian

I have gone through this with gurgaon registered car. At the minimum, you are required to pay the life tax (it was 7% of car's invoice value in 2005, it would have surely gone up now). After you pay this, you are free to drive the car without re-registering it. When any cop stops you, just show him the life tax paid receipt. It should be fine for most cases but some would insist on NOC but you can convince them that you would be going back to UP soon so no NOC.

Now, the question is how soon do you want to do this? You can do this immediately or wait for some cop to catch you and he is not convinced with your explanation of tourist. The choice is yours.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:53   #5

Thanks vkochar, even I have lived in Gurgaon for an year and drove my car in Haryana/Himachal/Chd/Delhi/UP without even a single thought of any hassle and didn't even come accross any. However the story here is very different as is apparent from the other threads.
I don't know when will the government in our country grow up and get rid of stupid rules like re-registration in other states.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:06   #6

Thanks windsurfer. However what is the process for taking an NOC and how much cost is involved in that. Though I believe NOC might be a difficult option now because my car is already here.
Secondly how tedious is it to go for myself and pay the tax in the RTO easy/difficult/impossible, or services of an agent are required. If the latter is the case do you know of any genuine agent who might help.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:49   #7
BHPian

Maybe this varies from state to state, but this is what Karnataka RTO site says in faq:

"The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State."

In Bangalore at least, cops will stop you here and there.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:14   #8
BHPian

I drive a UP regd. number in Hyderabad and have been doing so for the past year.

I think ideally they require you to pay the tax as per AP laws, but I have been driving regardless as I am not sure of how long I am going to stay.

So far, I have only been stopped once and went Scot-free as I told them that I had just arrived.

Will pay if I think i'd stay longer..
Old 20th October 2010, 20:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
There is absolutely no rule that says you cannot drive a UP reg car in Hyderabad during your tenure there while working.
vkochar - As per Motor Vehicles Act you have to pay road tax in new state if staying for more than a certain period of time (IIRC it is 6 months). However situation is very different in NCR region vs. cities like Bangalore and Hyderabad.

maxmachine - Technically it is impossible to prove that whether a person has been staying in a city for less or more than 6 months. So Road Tax inspectors lay a trap near major IT Hubs and catch other state registered vehicles. They know that these owners are working in IT co.s and hence most are there for > 6 months. Unless you have a really convincing answer, the Inspector will seize your license / RC Book and you'll have to go to RTA office to pay road tax and claim your documents back.

Bottomline - No need to pay road tax until you get caught and made to pay. If caught try to convince the officer that you will be going back in few days. Lastly, pay the road tax.

No NOC or Re-registration is required. State looks for revenue and thats all. Always keep the road tax receipt copy with you. Never entertain normal Traffic Inspectors on issue of road tax. They are not entitled to check that. It is the Road Tax Inspector's job. While moving back to home state, go to RTA office and file application for refund. You may probably get it in some year of your life time.
Old 20th October 2010, 23:35   #10
BHPian

One of My friend got his Punjab registration tax paid at Hyderabad.
went to RTO office , caught the agent he did the needful.

It was 5 yr old Santro, He was caught for Punjab Regn, had constant niggles with the traffic police every now & then.
He got a challan for Rs 500, by traffic police, & paid Rs 15000/- as lifetime Tax at Hyderabad RTO (Mehdipatnam, as he stays near that RTO)

I don't know why can't we have single Road Tax system all over India?
IMO small states have less amount of Road Tax, as the number of roads they need to maintain will be less?

I have been driving a Kerala & Karnataka Regn Bikes since 3 yrs, no problems so far.
Old 21st October 2010, 00:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

My friend was in Hyderabad with a KL regd car for quite some time. He did pay the road tax in Hyderabd though life tax was paid in KL but could retain the same KL regn. Now he has shifted to Tamilnadu recently.
Old 21st October 2010, 07:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Maxmachine: Technically the law states that ifyou have moved your residence and if the stay is more than 12 months, then you need to pay the road tax of AP. In Bangalore, the law is very strictly enforced, Hyderabad not so much. I have a DL registration car which has been moving around for the last 2.5 years and NO, I haven't paid any taxes. Just keep getting my PUC done on time. I stay in the heart of the city and have been pulled over only twice to have the papers checked. But if you are working in the Hitec City Area, you may come across some problem.

The road tax to be paid in case of transfer from other state depends upon the age of the vehicle. Please check here Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA
But the rates might have changed slightly as the new vehicle road tax has gone up from 9% to 12%.

@vkochar: The LAW does require you to get your vehicle reregistered. The situation in North is different as the road tax amounts are not as obscene as its in south especially in KA and AP hovering around 12-14%. Hence the local government looks at this revenue loss seriously.
Old 21st October 2010, 07:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys @Maxmachine & @Vineet - nothing to worry as things are much simple in law & its only the question on understanding. Anyway, recently one of our member approached RTO for similar requirements & he has done a thorough understanding as what one needs to do when the vehicles needs to be ridden in a different state for quite sometime - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...noc-valid.html. Go through page 2 where he has clearly mentioned as what needs to be done to drive in a different state & what needs to be done when going back. Hope this helps.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:51   #14

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
I did contact an agent as well and he said I just need to pay the road tax and I can drive without any issues.
However I am still not sure about the refund from here once I go back.
As you all are aware, I haven't taken the NOC fron UP because I want to retain my reg. number, and I do not want to go into a loop of taking an NOC and then getting it cancelled, thats too much of a trouble. So in this case what will be the process of getting the tax refund when I go back, what will stand as a proof that the vehicle came into the state for a small period of time and after leaving it will never be back ?

Taking everyones views into perspective, I will pay the road tax and drive tension free.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmachine View Post
However I am still not sure about the refund from here once I go back.
As you all are aware, I haven't taken the NOC fron UP because I want to retain my reg. number, and I do not want to go into a loop of taking an NOC and then getting it cancelled, thats too much of a trouble. So in this case what will be the process of getting the tax refund when I go back, what will stand as a proof that the vehicle came into the state for a small period of time and after leaving it will never be back ?

Taking everyones views into perspective, I will pay the road tax and drive tension free.
Once you pay a road tax, you might as well forget about it. Please don't expect it back. Atleast not worth the time !

Most Viewed