Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2005, 17:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
[SIZE=2]Simple solution:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]remove the steering wheel and leave the dude stumped......a la mr.bean style!!!!(only if you dont want your car to be driven away)what say???[/SIZE]
Good idea... except for the fact that I would like to drive the car around myself also from time to time
Old 8th December 2005, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Hey Zappo,
Realy sorry to hear that.
It was in my MarutiEsteem,wherein the Autocop guys were not able to remove the gearknob.Actualy the removal of the gearknob is just the starting step.Actualy the unit is fitted to the chassis only and cannot be removed just by removing the gearknob.The one i had purchased was the pin type gearlock.Unfortunately i couldnt get it done and i had returned the system back.Now i am looking at buying a good steering lock for my car.
And not sure how good Amitoj's solution is.Because,2 months back,my window glass was broken and my Sony MP3 headunit was stolen from my Xing.I have a Labrador at home who didnt have a clue about this ;-)
Anyways,after this i remove the faceplate of my system nowadays.
Jraj
Old 8th December 2005, 18:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj
Hey Zappo,
Realy sorry to hear that.
It was in my MarutiEsteem,wherein the Autocop guys were not able to remove the gearknob.Actualy the removal of the gearknob is just the starting step.Actualy the unit is fitted to the chassis only and cannot be removed just by removing the gearknob.The one i had purchased was the pin type gearlock.Unfortunately i couldnt get it done and i had returned the system back.Now i am looking at buying a good steering lock for my car.
And not sure how good Amitoj's solution is.Because,2 months back,my window glass was broken and my Sony MP3 headunit was stolen from my Xing.I have a Labrador at home who didnt have a clue about this ;-)
Anyways,after this i remove the faceplate of my system nowadays.
Jraj
Oh yeah... I remember, it was your Esteem that had this problem. Hmmm... So about these Gear Locks, are there various types of them available? As in Pin-type as opposed to what? And what is the difference?

By the way, always remove the face plate without a fail. I believe my unit was saved because the face plate was not there.
Old 8th December 2005, 19:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

the topic has been discussed before ,i remember GTO started that thread,i request moderaters to move this thread.
Old 20th February 2007, 18:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
It's true that such Gear Locks are deterant to casual thieves only. Professional car breakers can virtually break any system!
sorry to invoke an old thread, also mentioned in the thread saying a similar thread already exist. may be this is the thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...html#post19618
but couldnt get what i was looking for.

as said by sbasak, is there any gadget or accessory, which can protect from professional car breakers.

If I go for a system similar to AutoCOP and if theives have some electronic equipment which can somehow trace the signal, then the security system goes for a toss.

Instead, if I go only for a central locking system, a guy who is good with key combinations make his day.

What could be a possible solution?

One thing I have noticed which can be the combination of both above said methods is the security system in Fusion. Fusion car key has a samll micro chip in the key, and when the key is sloted, the ECM (known as GEM in fusion) matches the code then, the car is ready to be used, if the code is missing, the GEM module immobilises the engine.

Now can the professional car breakers can break this type of system as well with ease and is there any such system available for other cars too and also are there any similar securities systems as after-market fittment??

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 20th February 2007 at 18:31.
Old 20th February 2007, 19:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I believe my unit was saved because the face plate was not there.
Yeah! AND, the chor was not a sadist.

One of my colleagues's car was broken in five years back. The thief took away the speakers and the HU. Don't remember it exactly, but he scribbled something like this on the dirty rear glass: "I can't use it, but you wont be able to use it either". Since the HU was bought in grey-market, there was no antitheft insurance with it.. My colleague is now a proud owner of a standalone face-plate.
Old 20th February 2007, 20:31   #22
BHPian

@ Zappo , did you mention the incident to your fort knox company/dealer, if yes , what did they have to say about it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks