Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Are they going to launch the A8L? The car's a house-on-wheels.
Just like the 7 & S, only the long wheelbase version i.e the A8L would be launched in India. The same trend was followed with the previous generation A8,7 & S
Old 24th October 2010, 15:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why the A8 never really took off in India.Considering the sales of the S-class and 7 series which sell around 25 units regularly the A8 often sold in ones and twos.Although i am sure there are many people who can afford these cars would love the understated looks and the anonymity the A8 provided.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I wonder why the A8 never really took off in India.Considering the sales of the S-class and 7 series which sell around 25 units regularly the A8 often sold in ones and twos.Although i am sure there are many people who can afford these cars would love the understated looks and the anonymity the A8 provided.

Not promoted well perhaps. I am sure hardly anyone ever even realized that the previous gen A8 had been launched in India. By the time many rich corporates realized the A8 was here, they already had a brand-new S/7 in their garage.
Audi had just set foot into India and needed to make a mark. They needed to start from scratch.
All this coupled with the fact that Audi didnot and probably still does not hold the snob value a Beemer or Merc holds in India. Most people buying such cars here would want peoples stares and gasps which and Audi might or might not get them but which a BMW/Merc would surely do.
That said, since then Audi has taken great strides and today a Q7 or an A4 DEFINATLY hold tremendous snob-value. I would even be brave enough to say that in case of the A4/3/C, the A4 might have the edge thanks to its uber-cool looks.
Audi India are surely leaving no stone unturned to promote the new A8. Promoted well, it is a product potent enough to challenge the 7/S/XJ

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 25th October 2010 at 11:55.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The main reason is the looks, it looked too boring compared to the 7 Series and S Class. Also people in India show more familiarity the Merc's and BMW's than Audi's !
Old 25th October 2010, 12:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
The main reason is the looks, it looked too boring compared to the 7 Series and S Class. Also people in India show more familiarity the Merc's and BMW's than Audi's !

I wouldnt completely agree with you here. Sure it wasnt eyecatching as such (unless a 6.0 w12 or s8) but otherwise, some people quite liked the understated,elegant looks of the A8. I personally like the old A8 ,find it quite elegant. I HATED the bangle 7 series , and i know many who second my opinion yet it sold well. It more or less went down to brand value IMO.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

+1 PlatzdaTurbo

IMHO A8 > 7 > S. The only issue with that crops in my logical mind is Audi is always trailing. If someone has a 3 to 6 months old S/7 they will never go visit Audi for the new 8.

Audi needs to start leading the market rather than waiting to see what is being offered by competition. However Audi have a different mindset.

The car is fab captain seats all around and some champagne please.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I recall correctly, The new A8 preview was in one of the magazines sometime back. The interiors are just AWESOME. The passengers will be busy playing around with the controls all the time. Even it has acres of space in the rear where it matters in this class of vehicles.
Old 25th October 2010, 14:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
If I recall correctly, The new A8 preview was in one of the magazines sometime back. The interiors are just AWESOME. The passengers will be busy playing around with the controls all the time. Even it has acres of space in the rear where it matters in this class of vehicles.

No exaggeration thats for sure ! I have experienced the back seat of the previous generation A8L 6.0 W12. Me at 6 ft 1 , i had all that space in the world to stretch around ,sleep. Heck the sheer legroom is so much that 1 could play hide & seek in there !! Gadgetry ....lets not even get into that. List just doesn't end.
The NEW A8 is substantially bigger and has quite a longer list of tech compared to the old A8 so just imagine. It is surely as good as cars in this class can get
Old 25th October 2010, 15:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Audi i think will be luckier this time around.This current design has both,the attention grabbing LEDs in the front but also the understated overall design.This will cater to a wider audience,a would be welcome to see more A8s on road other than the usual S/7.

I think one the problems of the earlier A8 was that it was very similiar in design to the A6,at some angles you have to be really close to make out the difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks