Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 16:04   #61
BHPian

Re: FIAT to set up their own dealer network

Sales are already in shambles. What I fear is the Service! That has to be separate.

I don't expect much footfall in a Fiat showroom, unless they launch something like the Brand cafe which they are launching in Delhi and Pune!
@tombum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 16:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

If true its a good move. At least the potential customers wont be given a step motherly treatment.

As far as A.S.S is concerned FIAT already has a separate team which works on the cars. Not sure if they will create a separate facility for the same. Involves some serious monetary investment.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:13   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tombum View Post
Sales are already in shambles. What I fear is the Service! That has to be separate.
They've taken over 2 decades to realize the need for an independent dealer network. Cut them some slack before they have their own A.S.S.

IMO, they should and eventually will roll out their own A.S.S. too.

Most imp. thing is - soon, they will be on their own. Their cars are appreciated but their dealer and service network wasn't. Now is the chance to set that right.

I think once they have these things sorted out, sales will improve too. So many people on T-BHP have walked away from FIAT because of the niggles that the A.S.S. couldn't fix.

That being said, if the SAME dealers will have to set up a diff. showroom for FIAT and A.S.S. remains the same, it doesn't really make much sense. Or is FIAT saying, TATA lured it's potential customers away?!
Old 6th September 2011, 16:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

Now this is a tricky situation. If a car manufacturer is entering a market it would be easy to find franchises who would like to invest in a showroom, but FIAT trying to revive its image would have a tough task finding takers for the dealerships. Anyway, I would wish all the best for FIAT, hope this revives their fate!
Old 6th September 2011, 16:32   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Seperate dealership is indeed great news. .

For me it doesn't make any sense again to share the service network. Let hope for the best on this front too. I don't get premium feel when ever I enter into the TATA service station. Its always packed with full of Taxis.
I have heard a lot of negative stories about Fiat sales and service but fortunately I have never faced any such issues. I get my Linea serviced at KHT Motors, Bangalore and never had to brush shoulders with any Taxi driver and even if I did, I didn't mind after all they are also humans and have a car to get serviced. At KHT, there's a family lounge which is quite decent, with an AC, a TV and magazines apart from newspapers providing a view to Fiat service bay directly. Most times, I have been attended promptly. I really don't see why a Fiat owner should complain!

I have also heard and seen horror stories of other brands; one guy who placed a large placard in front of hir Merc in Chandigarh advertising bad service, similar an Etios owner who has pasted stickers on his car owning to bad service, a Honda dealer not treating a booking properly, my neighbours BMW 5 series just stopped mid way to Hyderabad and had to be towed. My point is - cars are machines and they can fail and dealers are good and bad - they are people. Singling out one brand every time is not right.
vivekshukla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 16:34   #66
BHPian

According to the report , i understand that the delears will be same as that of Tata , but will have different showroom for Fiat. So does this mean only sales happens through the new showroom and service will be combined.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

Great move by Fiat ! If I become a buyer in the market , Fiat would be one of the top choices once this is established . Fiat is a fantastic car maker , now they have become a dependable name in India. I used to think that Fiat has this iffy strategy about India, I am very pleased that they are proving me wrong . Around 8 years back , I spent many hours drooling over the Palio - when head ruled over heart I had to let it go and settle for a zen ! Thrilled that Fiat has chosen to brave and brawn it out
Old 6th September 2011, 16:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

With the entry of Renault, VW and Nissan, there is a lot of attrition amongst existing dealers. Lot of old ones have left MUL/TML/Hyundai and the likes to set up new dealerships with new brands. Or existing one are opening new dealerships under different company name.

I do feel that FIAT sales were getting diverted to TML Sales. So separating the sales distribution network is the way to go!

But A.S.S, that's a different can or worms!
Old 6th September 2011, 16:49   #69
BHPian

Finally! Fiat's on the right track, hope they're in the right train too
Old 6th September 2011, 17:00   #70
BHPian

This shows that Fiat is serious about selling cars in India and not just engines! All the best Fiat, from the heart. I want to see Bravo manufactured in India.

OT: Just yesterday I wrote a blog post about Fiat and I get this news today, awesome!
Old 6th September 2011, 17:07   #71
BHPian

Good news - Separate dealerships for Fiat cars.
Better news - Separate service centers for Fiat cars too. (Still awaiting)
Bad news - None.

So far even I haven't found any short comings with my dealership experience for Fiat, who is a known dealer for Tata Motors. What this step will do - is create a different and positive image in the minds of today's brand conscious consumers. Not that Tata is a taboo, but it just doesn't jel with the whole idea of owning a Fiat. I mean, just look at the lineage that these two companies carry. They are poles apart.

With the advent of many new European brands, it was about time Fiat opened those 'Experience Cafes' to lure customers. Fiat carries a RICH history and is also one of the major Automotive Conglomerates. It all starts with a delicious buying experience and ends with....., no, continues into a great trouble free journey of ownership that Fiat 'should' provide by setting up separate service centers too. But all this seems too much for asking as with such meagre sales (around 1000 units a month) it will be difficult for a mass market brand (not like the T's and H's, but not as exclusive as a Volvo) to survive.

Hoping that this move brings in some much required footfalls atleast. Rest is upto to the salesman, as always.
Old 6th September 2011, 17:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

How is this different from what was happening prior to FIAT - TATA JV? I do not see how this is a good move. Definetely not a good move for consumers.

Very limited dealer network in India for FIAT will lead to lesser reach hence lesser sales. Higher investment by dealers on infrastructure would mean more Dealer margins and hence expensive cars for the consumers.
Old 6th September 2011, 17:11   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Now this is a tricky situation. If a car manufacturer is entering a market it would be easy to find franchises who would like to invest in a showroom, but FIAT trying to revive its image would have a tough task finding takers for the dealerships. Anyway, I would wish all the best for FIAT, hope this revives their fate!
I agree. Just separating the sales function would not work much. A.S.S. has to be separate. Being a Tata owner myself for 2+ years, I hate it when I see all Lineas and Puntos being queued behind Indicas, Indigos in the service bay. They deserve their own spot.

OT: Congrats Anil for the 'Senior' tag.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 17:15   #74
BHPian

Good Move !!! After a long wait this will be a Big thud to TATA
My personal experience says that FIAT should have done this long time back. Now this 20 outlet should be also capable of *** asap.
Old 6th September 2011, 17:20   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Very limited dealer network in India for FIAT will lead to lesser reach hence lesser sales. Higher investment by dealers on infrastructure would mean more Dealer margins and hence expensive cars for the consumers.
As per what I understood from the news article, Fiat is not going all out at once. They will be setting up 'separate' dealerships in 20 cities, initially. Now these cities will be Metros and Tier 1 cities where consumers have a good understanding about the brand. They will be continuing with their existing dealership network. This will increase their presence and give them the freedom to take matters into their own hands. If successful, they will expand the network and get the attention they deserve.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed