Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 22:30   #46
BHPian

Why can't FIAT to break-up the JV for major cities alone.

I feel by this way, they can grow their home network from Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore gradually to the rest of other cities. Why not, even to rural part.

If they do start think now then within 10 years they can even go cater there services to sub-urban cities too.

If not, then even after 15 years the word possible for FIAT will become impossible.

Indian Customers expecting Lifelong relationships with FIAT but are they reciprocating it ? Only God Knows !

Regards,
Camon

Last edited by camon : 21st October 2010 at 22:39.
Old 21st October 2010, 22:43   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
Why can't FIAT to break-up the JV for major cities alone.
A lot of existing customers in major cities may riot or something.
The A S S improved from non-existent to tolerable after the JV.
Old 21st October 2010, 23:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the problem has been staring them in the face since perhaps 2002-2003 onwards yet no one at Fiat's top management is able to see the wood for the trees.

hence some sharp suited, rim-less spectacled, black berry + fancy laptop totin' flupkat from a big name global organization is making big bucks.
Absolutely Agree with you! I was laughing when I heard Fiat had to hire a consultant to fix a problem which has been clear and discussed to death even amongst all enthusiasts, so obviously, it would have been discussed in the board-rooms.

Sometimes, I really wonder if the decision makers in these companies have any understanding of what life is for a regular customer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
If this is the first in a long series of improvements, then I'm fine. But I hope FIAT (or their consultants) realize that this is only a first step, nothing more

My opinion is: FIAT would have to do something extraordinary to get the market to change its image. Even matching what the other carmakers do would not really improve matters. What they need is something new about the ownership aspect to announce to the customer every month.
PR, advertising, letting people know your strengths is important and necessary (especially knowing the common man's ignorance about Fiat).

However, I sincerely wish the grease monkeys, service advisers and the workshop managers at Tata-Fiat had a genuine wish to provide good service and a commitment to do so. I wish Fiat had the sense to give these people enough training, technical support and a regular supply of parts.

Let Fiat fix these things first. I have been waiting for 2 months for the number plate illuminator bulb on the Stile.

The coffee, the lounge, the back-up car can wait. Let me first have a car which is trouble-free, running well and is serviced by committed people.

Once that is done, I, personally, will recommend a Fiat to everyone I know. Currently, I don't. Why? Because personal relationships are more important than blind love for a brand that doesn't deserve it.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:06   #49
BHPian

FIAT, despite all its trouble cannot just call it quits, unlike Peugeot in 90s. India is one of the fastest growing auto markets in the world and FIAT can ill-afford to be absent from such a market. So, the only way-out is to eventually fix its troubles and reputation.

I feel this move of opening dedicated showrooms may be a good step in the right direction. FIATs problems in India are numerous-right from quality of products to A.S.S to bad treatment at the showrooms (vis-a-vis TATA customers). This step may be able to take care of the last past to some extent. And as few others mentioned, it will also provide FIAT with direct contact to its customers.

I agree there is a lot more to be done regarding the product aspect. Anyway, the brand will not just be created using swanky showrooms. The product has to be up there. Word of mouth publicity is the only long term brand equity which can exist, and it has to come from the product speaking for itself.

The important thing here is intent. I seriously feel that the intent was not there earlier. Things are starting to change at that front. Case in the point is the Linea T-jet. Agreed the quality is still not there in the Vento and City league and the panel gaps are not right yet. However compared to the NA version, they have certainly made big progress.

Product quality does not come in single step. It is a continuous improvement process. It has to be backed by the unrelenting intent. I feel that intent is now stronger at FIAT. I really hope I'm not wrong in this assumption. Lets see if they can come up with the right improvements in an years time.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I guess FIAT for time being should start with brand awareness through the outlets and taking over advertisement from TATAs.
Advertising and marketing is already seperate. The problem is the budget allocation of Fiat for ads in India, is miniscule compared to competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Educate ppl that the diesels in suzuki cars (which are adored by the junta) are infact FIAT tech.
I don't think it's legal to advertise that way. It would have been covered in the agreements between the 2 companies. Or else we would have seen Samsung trumpetting about the Panel in Sony being made by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Absolutely Agree with you! I was laughing when I heard Fiat had to hire a consultant to fix a problem which has been clear and discussed to death even amongst all enthusiasts, so obviously, it would have been discussed in the board-rooms.

Sometimes, I really wonder if the decision makers in these companies have any understanding of what life is for a regular customer?

PR, advertising, letting people know your strengths is important and necessary (especially knowing the common man's ignorance about Fiat).

However, I sincerely wish the grease monkeys, service advisers and the workshop managers at Tata-Fiat had a genuine wish to provide good service and a commitment to do so. I wish Fiat had the sense to give these people enough training, technical support and a regular supply of parts.

Let Fiat fix these things first. I have been waiting for 2 months for the number plate illuminator bulb on the Stile.

The coffee, the lounge, the back-up car can wait. Let me first have a car which is trouble-free, running well and is serviced by committed people.

Once that is done, I, personally, will recommend a Fiat to everyone I know. Currently, I don't. Why? Because personal relationships are more important than blind love for a brand that doesn't deserve it.
+1
This the post which Fiat should read. Aptly said by a Fiat owner.
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Often external consultants are hired not because they'll unearth solutions but because they will parrot-speak what the company wants them to and then get internal buy-in for the solution / investments.

FIAT India may be aware of most of its problems and solutions to those, but to line up major investments like creating brand stores, dedicated personnel and dealership space, they need a business case for their Italian parents and recommendations should come from the mouth of a reputed independent consultant (Accenture in this case) to look authentic.

This strategy also helps because if:
  • Solution fails then blame everything on the external consultant
  • Solution succeeds then own up the recommendation and everyone is happy
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:22   #52
BHPian

It feels good to read this when you are on the eve of booking one of FIAT's products and also in an out of the world dilemma of having other options also.

But then i feel the confusion for me is caused not by the Tata ***, but the availability of spares for FIAT.

Even if FIAT comes up with the concept of self ***, will they be able to cope with the earlier problem of availability and will they be accountable for any non availability and thereby maintan their integrity?

And besides every one is talking about the localisation of products like per se, Figo with 80 to 85 percent localisation and the new Fabia with some thing more than 40 %. Well what is punto's or linea's? Pardon me if i have missed those percentages. Anyone pls specify.

Evolution !!! And what improvement after this. Linea T-Jet has come out. I hope punto is done with its enhancements. What next? .

And correct me if i am wrong. I assume all dealerships works with the concept of Franchaise. If yes then will any one come forward to take up the challenge if Fiat comes up with self dealerships keeping in mind the number of punto's and lineas has sold for OCT which is 1300 and 700+ respectively.? I think TATA-FIAT is a good move that ensures atleast a shelter albeit not a duplex bungalow for FIAT consumers.

All that matters now is availability of spares FIAT.

Pls counter act and let me learn from my mistakes.!!!
Old 4th November 2010, 08:23   #53
BHPian

I feel they could do something with their ads, which should be along the lines of which Top gear episodes (fast Cars). At-least now they have a Fast car in the form of Linea T-Jet. As someone said earlier they do own Ferrari. Both the Punto and Linea are sporty looking. These are things that they can use to their Advantage and highlight to the buyers.
The only reason we bought a Punto is that i know this a Tried and Tested vehicle outside India and my family wanted a Car that was not a swift(nothing against this car). It was either the I20 or the Punto.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:20   #54
BANNED

May be Fiat is slowly planning to divorce the TATA_FIAT JV and go their separate way and boutique shops are the first step so as to not anger TATA guys now.
Old 4th November 2010, 22:38   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
How many normal buyers know that Fiat is the company behind Ferrari.
It's like telling someone to buy an Indica because Tata is the "company behind Jaguar". Look, the guy on the street could care two hoots about which exotic brand you have under your umbrella. What will attract him to your name is a solid reputation for hassle-free ownership. This is exactly where Fiat needs to work hard...starting with niggle free cars.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:20   #56
Team-BHP Support

FIAT to set up their own dealer network

Looks like it has finally happened. According to the below report, FIAT will setup it's own dealer network in around 20 cities in the next one and a half years.

The report says that the JV came into question because FIAT did not sell as much despite the TATA co-branding.

Guess this is the first time that FIAT will be in India by itself; let's see how it performs.

Fiat, Tata cars not to be sold under same roof - The Economic Times

For now, if something went wrong, there was TATA to blame. TATA's dealers messed up or TATA couldn't fix problems; no one really said FIAT cars have issues. With FIAT planning to fly solo now, the entire onus is on them.

All new FIAT showrooms; let's see how that goes. No news on the A.S.S. though.

So, this is Fiat 3.0!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th September 2011 at 15:49. Reason: Edited A.S.S. note
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 15:44   #57
BHPian

Re: FIAT to set up their own dealer network

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Looks like it has finally happened. According to the below report, FIAT will setup it's own dealer network in around 20 cities in the next one and a half years.

The report says that the JV came into question because FIAT did not sell as much despite the TATA co-branding.

Guess this is the first time that FIAT will be in India by itself; let's see how it performs.

Fiat, Tata cars not to be sold under same roof - The Economic Times

For now, if something went wrong, there was TATA to blame. TATA's dealers messed up or TATA couldn't fix problems; no one really said FIAT cars have issues. With FIAT planning to fly solo now, the entire onus is on them.

All new FIAT showrooms; all new FIAT A.S.S. Let's see how that goes!

So, this is Fiat 3.0!
Though it doesn't really say that After Sales Service will be separate - maybe that still might be shared with Tata Motors.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

All new FIAT showrooms; all new FIAT A.S.S. Let's see how that goes!

So, this is Fiat 3.0!
It seems it will be the same dealers, They will just open new show rooms for FIAT.
I do not know how many of them will be willing to invest in a separate show room for a company that sells 1000 cars in a month
Old 6th September 2011, 15:59   #59
BHPian

Somehow I am confused with the views shared by people on this forum. If FIAT ties up with Tata there is a hue and cry in the forums about FIAT should break away from Tata. And now if Fiat actually tries to break away we have noise too.

I think it is a good move from FIAT. Atleast to separate out and become a diffrent entity. I think sales will be first point of break-away and service will follow up later (and shortly hopefully) . Best of Luck to FIAT.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Seperate dealership is indeed great news. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Though it doesn't really say that After Sales Service will be separate - maybe that still might be shared with Tata Motors.
For me it doesn't make any sense again to share the service network. Let hope for the best on this front too. I don't get premium feel when ever I enter into the TATA service station. Its always packed with full of Taxis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Somehow I am confused with the views shared by people on this forum. If FIAT ties up with Tata there is a hue and cry in the forums about FIAT should break away from Tata. And now if Fiat actually tries to break away we have noise too.

I think it is a good move from FIAT. Atleast to separate out and become a diffrent entity. I think sales will be first point of break-away and service will follow up later (and shortly hopefully) . Best of Luck to FIAT.
Its not actually breaking away from TATA. The JV will still be intact. What Fiat is going to do is, Sell the products separately.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th September 2011 at 16:40. Reason: back to back posts
Closed Thread

Most Viewed