Team-BHP - Newbie questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Newbie questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/9118-newbie-questions.html)

We recently moved to Bangalore from USA.

I have a few questions.

My wife has driven in India before but I haven't. We have international driving licenses. I plan to take driving lessons (more like traffic lessons) as soon as possible. Do you have any recommendations for a good driving school? I live near Kodihalli on Airport Rd.

We will be hiring a driver. If you know of any good drivers, let me know.

We plan to buy a Toyota Innova (2.5 G2 Diesel). The ex-showroom price is 803100. What would the final price be (OTR)?
Is there a waiting list for this van?

I have never bought a car in India. Is the car price negotiated or I have to pay the price posted on the Ravindu Toyota or Nandi Toyota website?

Thanks
p.s: I didn't see any thread for newbie questions. So I posted it in this thread.

Welcome aboard Oldmobile..
Also welcome to Bangalore ...
In Indiranagar, Maruthi conducts driving classes which I have heard is good. Most other driving schools around have instrucors, who are mostly drivers by practice, and not qualified for instructions.

In India, car prices are negotiated for discounts.. Please get the OTR price from theh show room, and you can start bargaining.

Happy Motoring..

welcome oldmobile...

The OTR price - you can get on the website or by getting a quote from the dealer directly who can also tell you about any waiting (if there is)

As for bargain - you can do it, some vehicles will have discounts on them, also ask for any corporate discounts or free goodies (like accessories ot free insurance)

Since you have never driven here before it might be a good idea to be a passenger for a while to acclamatise yourself to the conditions - so to speak ;)

Hey olds

1. I believe there is a discount on Innovas at the moment, so you should negotiate.

2. I doubt if you will find a driving school of the sort you find abroad. Besides, I dont think ANYONE can teach you all the tricks of the trade on our roads - each person has his own patented/copyrighted method of driving.

3. Your best bet would be to get a good driver to carry you around and plonk yourself in the front passenger seat to WATCH and LEARN.

4. You can then get your driver to accompany you on the passenger seat while you drive around on the weekends and during off-peak hours (nights?).

5. However, BY FAR the best method would be to just get into the driver's seat and drive around without assistance. Get cursed a bit, get yourself lost sometimes, but thats a trial by fire that will stand you in good stead.

I live abroad, and I always drive around in India by myself. I dont find it intimidating or scary unlike a lot of people who think that way - in fact I find it challenging and quite refreshing than the "cruise control mode" that we drive in abroad.

Trust me - it's very good for your concentration, circulation, digestion, vision (you improve your peripheral vision dramatically) and by the time you get to your office every other problem seems so insignificant - therefore good for your soul, too.

So go ahead and take the plunge. You wont regret it.