Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 21:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Koleos

My word, that pricing is insane. How on earth does Renault India think the car warrants that high a premium? The Renault badge is no match for the T on the Fortuner or the propeller on the X1, and it's a bit sad since this car has tons of promise. Doubtlessly the car will meet a poor reception, and I do wonder how long it'll be before Renault sees the error of their ways.
Old 9th September 2011, 00:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is a disaster! I expected it to be around 16-17 lacs ex showroom.
Is the Koleos imported as a CBU?
Old 9th September 2011, 01:23   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
The pricing is a disaster! I expected it to be around 16-17 lacs ex showroom.
Is the Koleos imported as a CBU?
No, it is imported as a CKD kit with a miniscule degree of localisation as well.
Old 9th September 2011, 06:28   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

thats terrible. it is very expensive then for a CKD.
they should probably localize heavily and knock the price down to make it a success.
renault cars are very good value abroad. here it looks that they are all going the same route and overpricing themselves to the poor ignorant Indian public.
as usual all these SUV's will be bought only by the evil politicos and real estate/ mining goons.
what about regular chaps who want a good utility vehicle?
personally Iam darned if Im going to create a financial exposure of such a high amount for a vehicle, for myself. no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
No, it is imported as a CKD kit with a miniscule degree of localisation as well.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 06:38   #95
Senior - BHPian

The Koleos at best can be compared to the Captiva. It is much expensive than the Captiva by a wide margin. It is a 5 seater. Why would anyone buy this over a Fortuner or Captiva? People may buy it for exclusivity, nothing else.
Old 9th September 2011, 06:40   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

the koleos is in the same territory as Captiva AT AWD, Santa Fe AWD and CRV.
the Koleos would be closer to Santa Fe in terms of comparison given the gizmos in it and functionality overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The Koleos at best can be compared to the Captiva. It is much expensive than the Captiva by a wide margin. It is a 5 seater. Why would anyone buy this over a Fortuner or Captiva? People may buy it for exclusivity, nothing else.
Old 9th September 2011, 08:27   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

The Launch of the Koleos at such a high price is really disappointing! Though the list of features is good, but definitely does not justify a price more than 17-18 lacs. Don't know how much premium they are expecting for the Bose system (2 Lakhs?). Also the fact that it is a 5 seater and positioned much higher than even the best 7 seaters (TFort, Captiva, Santa Fe) gives it a flawed market positioning.

IMO, it will not ring a bell for most users and in hindsight the price I paid for my Yeti seems value for money (relatively!)
Old 9th September 2011, 08:52   #98
BHPian

Koleos is an anagram for Look se. that's all i can afford to do at this price.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:28   #99
BHPian

Good product but disastrous pricing. Same as Fluence.
Now 10-12L OTR Duster is more like wishful thinking IMO.
Old 9th September 2011, 11:04   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

The recent increase in CKD duty from 10% to 30% played a big part in the final pricing of the Koleos. I am sure Renault might have wanted to price it a bit lower, at around 19L-20L which would have been apt.

As it is, expect prices to drop in 6 months. Either that, or some killer deals (via Cash Discounts, etc.) from Renault to boost Koleos sales.

For those who want to have a peek at the launch pics -

Renault Koleos India launch images, official images, details

T-BHP will be reviewing the Koleos in a couple of days. Keep an eye out for that.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:48   #101
BHPian

First Ford with the Fiesta and now Renault with the Koleos. Seeming overpricing of cars seems to be de rigueur in the Indian market. Are these foreign companies trying to show us how dirt cheap is the value of our rupee really is in the real world? I think yes. The purchasing power of the rupee on the street has depreciated more than we perceive it. Just look around objectively and pragmatically. 10 lakhs is the new 5 lakhs. Or 2 lakhs?
Old 9th September 2011, 13:51   #102
Senior - BHPian

Tata Aria seems more value for money with new model being launched. Renault Koleos is infact taking on the burden of advertising Aria. Premium pricing could be for many different reasons. It is possible that they are not interested in this SUV space and this is just another 'for name only' launch.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:11   #103
BHPian

Statement made by Renault at the Koleos launch:

"Renault targets to be among the top 3 international car brands in India by 2013"

With these kind of pricing? How funny can you get...
Old 9th September 2011, 14:13   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Maybe they hired their India management team from Ford or something...
I think entire car industry management sucks big time.

There are huge opportunities in the market for well priced and well specced models.

Here's what India needs

1. Sub 3 lakh OTR mid spec diesel small car (Possible Nano?)
2. Sub 5 lakh OTR all bells and whistles hatch back (Swift, Jazz should be here)
3. Sub 8 lakh OTR all bells and whistles diesel sedan (This is Corolla pricing in the US)
4. Sub 10 lakh OTR all bells and whistles cross over (Aria should be at this pricepoint)
5. Sub 15 lakh OTR medium size SUV (Captiva, Koleos, etc should be here)

These are achievable price points if there are leaders / game changers in these car companies.

The car industry would just expand enormously and the margins they lose would be more than made up in the huge volumes.

I respect Ratan Tata for trying something new with the Nano even though it didn't work out satisfactorily. Atleast he had the balls to try.

Honda too has started trying but what are the others doing. Even Maruti with so many years here should be doing much more.

Cheers
Old 9th September 2011, 15:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavv View Post
Statement made by Renault at the Koleos launch:

"Renault targets to be among the top 3 international car brands in India by 2013"

With these kind of pricing? How funny can you get...
Yeah man i read that and i almost fell of my chair. Was the management stoned or something? Did they mean 2030? Even 2030 they cant be No.3.
Maybe they were meant to say, top 3 european brands in India. There is no way the Japos and Koreans are thinking of these guys as competition in the short run. Even they had launched a 4 Lakh ruppee hatch, i would give them at least 10 years to establish themselves here as a major player.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed