Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 15:45   #1
BHPian

BMW 7 Series: now with GPS Navigation

Source: BMW India to introduce Navigation Professional Sat-Nav as standard in its 7 Series models

October 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm

BMW India will launch BMW Navigation Professional as standard feature on all BMW 7 Series models from 01 November 2010. Designed to operate through the on-board iDrive control with integrated GPS, and a full-colour 10.2-inch high-resolution display, instrument cluster and rear-seat navigation control, the new feature will make life easier for drivers. First to be introduced in the BMW 7 Series, the sat-nav system will subsequently be offered in other BMW models.
BMW Navigation Professional is said to be easy to operate and guides you quickly to your desired destination. The destination can be entered using the iDrive or voice control, which is available as an option. A variety of entry formats for destination entry are available that include PIN (Postal Identification Number) intuitive spelling entry and previous destinations. A digital map of the area can be viewed with a zoom function on the high-resolution display. Instructions are given visually as easy-to-follow arrows and/or as clear verbal instructions over the sound system.
BMW India dealership locations and contact details are also mapped in the BMW Navigation Professional to provide easy access for after sales and service across all locations in India.
BMW India has engaged the services of CE Info Systems Private Limited, under the brand MapmyIndia. Map updates will be available at BMW India dealerships twice a year keeping the data current and more comprehensive with enhanced navigable attributes like one-way, turn restrictions etc. and more number of cities at a detailed level.
Standard Features in BMW Navigation Professional include:
  • Fixed, full-colour 10.2″ display with1280x480 pixel resolution
  • Intuitive operation with BMW iDrive controller with direct-selection buttons
  • Extended 9.2″ info display in the instrument cluster
  • Hard-disc supported system including 12 GB memory
  • BMW Radio Professional with tuner
  • Anti-dazzle monitor with split-screen function (navigation system/on-board computer)
  • GPS assisted orientation
  • North-up
  • Perspective and of Direction destination mapping options
  • Optional Features available are Voice control for navigation functions, TV Function and Head-up display.
Dr. Andreas Schaaf, President, BMW India said, “BMW was the first manufacturer in Europe to launch an integrated navigation system for a series vehicle in 1994 which formed one of the foundation stones for innovative systems to network vehicles with their surrounding environment.The BMW Navigation Professional continues to set the benchmark in the luxury car segment in India by offering integrated navigation system as a standard feature”.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its about time !! As expected BMW is the first of the germans to offer it. Lets hope the others launch it soon enough. What about Jaguar ? Do they offer it in India already ?
Old 27th October 2010, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I do not see what the big deal is about.
Cars like Cedia are being offered with inbuilt GPS navigations for couple of years now.
It is not a big improvement for BMW to boast about providing GPS navigation and the model we are talking about is not 3 series or X3, it is their flagship model 7 series. Though it will be a lot more advanced one compared to the basic navigation, one should always expect these features as standard in a car costing close to a crore.

Last edited by speedmiester : 27th October 2010 at 16:18.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally ! Not that I find GPS to be of much help within a city you reside but it sure is a fascinating features to have.
The initial batches of the E60, like mine came with pre-wiring for Navigation and also a DVD drive for the Nav disc. I wonder if this feature can now be activated on my car too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I do not see what the big deal is about.
The big deal is that most cars like the Cedia or Endeavour offer an after-market system like Kenwood as a standard features.
Navigation in the iDrive is a totally different ball game, its fully integrated and not just an add on. Works beautifully.

Last edited by Sahil : 27th October 2010 at 16:30.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The big deal is that most cars like the Cedia or Endeavour offer an after-market system like Kenwood as a standard features.
Navigation in the iDrive is a totally different ball game, its fully integrated and not just an add on. Works beautifully.
Please dont feel offended but this is not a breakthrough tech any more. I wonder why it was missing in the 1 cr car till now. And how it is different that other OEM makes? What are extra features available in this GPS?
Old 27th October 2010, 17:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Please dont feel offended but this is not a breakthrough tech any more. I wonder why it was missing in the 1 cr car till now. And how it is different that other OEM makes? What are extra features available in this GPS?
I do not think it's a breakthough tech either and do agree a 1cr car should have had it long back. But I'm glad it's finally made it's way here, closely it will be made available across the range.
There might not be many extra features as such but the biggest advantage is the way it sync's with the car without any attachments. It's sort a bluetooth visor handsfree v/s an integrated handsfree like Blue&Me,iDrive bluetooth,etc. Although there the OEM has no 'extra features' it's so much better when integrated.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
this is not a breakthrough tech any more. I wonder why it was missing in the 1 cr car till now. And how it is different that other OEM makes? What are extra features available in this GPS?
+1 to that.. I too seriously wonder why was it missing till now when cars at a tenth fraction of its price were offering an OEM GPS!

Yeah, maybe integrating GPS with iDrive was the issue which prevented an integrated GPS offering till now. Seems this has been taken care of, hence the availability.

Wait, seems they are yet to integrate GPS with the i-whatever on 3, 5 etc..
Old 27th October 2010, 17:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not saying that they don't work or is not feature rich compared to the aftermarket ones. What I am saying GPS navigation was made available in India a long time ago and for a car costing close to a crore these features should be standard as these were being offered in international markets.

If tata or maruti would have put in a press release about offering GPS navigation in their cars, it would be alright. But a company like BMW doing it is quite hilarious.

Is the navigation only for the 7series or even the lesser Beemers also receive the GPS system as standard.
Old 27th October 2010, 18:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if this feature can now be activated on my car too ?
If the wiring has been done in your car ,you most definitely can ! No doubt about it. Go to the dealer once they announce the launch of GPS in the new 5. Even my car is GPS ready but i really dont know when will these 'el idiotos' Audi make it available !

Quote:
I wonder why it was missing in the 1 cr car till now. And how it is different that other OEM makes? What are extra features available in this GPS?
Blame it on the government. GPS navigation maps were to be made available through terrestrial broadcasting and as is the case in our country, the clearance and go ahead took ages. Unlike mapmyindia and others who offer aftermarket stuff, iDrive & MMI (still to launch in MMI but not far off) are to offer it integrated in their multimedia setups and that in turn created even more complications for them with not much cooperation from the government. (from a reliable source at Audi) Besides, the people from Munich/Ingolstadt made a million trips to India before even contemplating about offering GPS in India. Now that surely is uncool !
So the 1 cr car always was ready with all the tech needed for such things but thanks to our government, we have been left wanting. Until today that is !

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
If tata or maruti would have put in a press release about offering GPS navigation in their cars, it would be alright. But a company like BMW doing it is quite hilarious.

Is the navigation only for the 7series or even the lesser Beemers also receive the GPS system as standard.
Nothing hilarious about it considering what i just posted above. Most owners of this car interested in GPS/navigation were aware that its only due to permission problems that these Germans were unable to launch it & nobody including the people at BMW/Audi India had any clue when would it be launched. This is the best way to inform owners across the country whose cars are ready with the wiring needed for it that the feature they always wanted is finally here.
In Europe/USA, navigation is standard on all Beemers - 3/5/6/7/X3/X5/X6 and now its a matter of time before its made available even on the X1 in India

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 27th October 2010 at 18:19.
Old 27th October 2010, 18:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

@platza I remember reading in another thread that only the higher end audi's(3L ones) can get the GPS fitted.The MMI basic and i think previous generation idrive cannot have this GPS system.

They surely took a long time to come up with the GPS system.Did they have troubling sourcing the maps or integrating it into the system?
Old 27th October 2010, 19:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
@platza I remember reading in another thread that only the higher end audi's(3L ones) can get the GPS fitted.The MMI basic and i think previous generation idrive cannot have this GPS system.

They surely took a long time to come up with the GPS system.Did they have troubling sourcing the maps or integrating it into the system?
I dont really know what the confusion about the MMI basic and MMI high is all about. I have never really spent time with MMI basic to see what is lacking. What i can tell you is, in my trip to Germany a couple of months ago, out of the big 3, the maximum number of cars i saw were the Audis and even in the Audis, the maximum number seen were the A3 and A4 2.0TDI avants. Now all 2.0 TDIs are supposed to have MMI basic. ALL the 2.0 TDIs there, be it the A4 or A3 had the GPS navigation system in them. This could imply that maps can be loaded onto MMI basic on lower Audis here in India as well. If thought over logically, i could assume that MMI high has voice command integrated into GPS as well and also a few options here and there ( multiple routes to same destination depending on whether you want to opt for the shortest or fastest etc. Remember, the shortest route NEED NOT BE THE FASTEST & VICE-VERSA ) and also some other features that can be played around with. The multiple route system was even there in a FORD GALAXY so it should definitely be integrated into MMI high. Now THAT ,along with a few more goodies is what MMI basic most definitely lacks !
As far as India is concerned, integrating into the system is almost never a problem as they have been doing it in all nations world over.
Here it was a case of starting from scratch, getting the iDrive/MMI version of navigation maps ready for cars over India. (Hence the million trips) & all this coupled with the government's indifference to all of this. This was to take time at any cost !! I am just happy that it is finally here at the end of the day !
iDrive has it today. MMI will have it tomorrow. COMAND....I dont know. Have heard Merc dont offer much through COMAND here.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 27th October 2010 at 19:28.
Old 27th October 2010, 22:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Even I dint find whats the big thing of having a GPS navigation .Its like peanuts to have it implemented in their cars here.They even don't have to ,may be a just a firmware flash on the console ? .
Its not that they did not put , Indian customers did not demand or they dint care/wouldn't care .Just like dumping left over pieces and technology .Heck if some one demands we will see then attitude may be . What else one can think off it not being implemented ?
Now will this be a selling point ! , sir we have the GPS navigation alsoooo ! .

If it was something like Google car ,we could have appreciated , right guys ?

Last edited by black12rr : 27th October 2010 at 22:30.
Old 27th October 2010, 23:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont see why everyone has to mock this move by BMW.They have this feature,and now they are introducing it.For some reasons they have not been able to do it before,and now they are.And its mighty useful not only for future owners but also to present ones who can upgrade.

Its not a big deal for Bmw(they are making a hue and cry over it)not for its owners past of future,just a useful feature which is going to be of some help to some people.
End of story,nothing to get defensive or offensive about it.
Old 28th October 2010, 06:01   #14
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
In Europe/USA, navigation is standard on all Beemers - 3/5/6/7/X3/X5/X6 and now its a matter of time before its made available even on the X1 in India
Hey PlatzdaTurbo, if you are talking about all new or say 2010 Bimmers then you may be right. However, all the Bimmers i have test driven (3 series) and most that i've seen (both 3 series & 5 including X) did not come with the inbuilt GPS navigator, unless they have been so neatly tucked away to be deliberately unnoticed from outside. One of the reasons I bought the 540i (E39) is the inbuilt GPS which albeit is more of form than being functional (runs on antiquated NavTech CDs that are no longer in production). However, the integrated GPS navigation display was so cool that it had impressed me far too much
Old 28th October 2010, 07:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Hey PlatzdaTurbo, if you are talking about all new or say 2010 Bimmers then you may be right. However, all the Bimmers i have test driven (3 series) and most that i've seen (both 3 series & 5 including X) did not come with the inbuilt GPS navigator, unless they have been so neatly tucked away to be deliberately unnoticed from outside. One of the reasons I bought the 540i (E39) is the inbuilt GPS which albeit is more of form than being functional (runs on antiquated NavTech CDs that are no longer in production). However, the integrated GPS navigation display was so cool that it had impressed me far too much

Yes what i stated was from my observations on a trip to europe just a couple of months ago. Most of the Beemers seen were models post 2005/06. About being neatly tucked in, if i am not mistaken, the iDrive screen is not easily visible from the outside anyway unless seen from a specific angle. Maybe that is why you could not spot it. Had it been only the 3 series then it would have raised a doubt in my mind but i am pretty sure the 5 and X5 had it (GPS) integrated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks