Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 15:09   #121
Senior - BHPian

Agreed nirmaljusdoit, (I have been through the horror story of Mercedes India) While Mercedes too covers parts under warranty, the overall handling of BMW is far better, also a point to note is with the arrival of the X1 we soon might see BMW cross a figure of 1000 cars a month, that will be a land mark and also give India enough volumes to further allow the companies to consider more variants and like I have said 10X times the 5 is yet to show it's true potential once the 520d is out.

Also about Audi, I just dug up Team-Bhp.com and found this post created by me back in 2004, so if anytime Audi now talks about late entry let's ask them to see the way BMW leads Mercedes though it entered India a decade later?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ndia-july.html

All in all not only am I amazed at BMW India, but our country's growth in terms of luxury segments which are still considered at their early footsteps, my mind is now wondering if BMW can cross 6000 cars this year, would 2011 at this time be close to 2000 units a month? It's do able considering next year at this time we will have the new 3 arriving.

This is one space to watch!
Old 13th November 2010, 22:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

Q5 < Q7 ???

The Q5 is a really great SUV , its pricing and features are great but I don't understand why it's not able to outsell it's sibling the Q7.I even Don't think there is any SUV that can match Q5 for its price.It's a perfect all rounder if you ask me. It's got the looks , performance(Off road and On road) and features(B&O system and MMI).
Old 14th November 2010, 01:21   #123
BHPian

Q5 doesn't look that great as against to Q7. This could be one of the reasons. Q7 has great presence on the road.
Old 14th November 2010, 03:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Yeah that could be true. Usually its macho looking SUV's that rule the roost in India. Guess crossovers don't have much of an appeal here.
Old 16th November 2010, 18:50   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I think optra is the more reliable of two models or atleast perceived so in the Overseas market. I read somewhere on web; in China, they sell more Optras (Name Excelle in China) than cruze, roughly 2:1.
Hey guys, sorry it took me quite a long time to react, am a newbie here...
First congratulations on all the depth of analysis, this is by far the most documented site in the world about car sales in India!

I couldn't help but notice your comment above about sales of Optras and Cruzes in China. Car sales by nameplates are a bit of a hobby for me so I thought I'd share some info you might find useful?

The Optra model sold in China is a new generation which I believe is only built in China and named, as you rightly said above, Buick Excelle. In October the Excelle sold 21,492 units vs 17,798 for the Cruze. Year-to-date the figures are 186,213 for the Excelle vs. 147,874 for the Cruze, so a clear domination of the Excelle/Optra, even though the Cruze is delivering some pretty solid numbers in China...

Source of the numbers is here: De buitenlandse verkoopcijfers (oktober 2010 @ pag. 13) - AutoWeek.nl and here: Æû³µÏúÁ¿ÅÅÐÐ_Ñ¡³µÍø

My humble attempt at an analysis (far from your robust analysises on this forum!) of the Chinese numbers is here: China October 2010: VW Lavida #1 World's Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog

Hope you find this useful!
cheers
matt
Old 16th November 2010, 21:45   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
Q5 doesn't look that great as against to Q7. This could be one of the reasons. Q7 has great presence on the road.
7 seats and a lot more metal for not so much more green's. Instead of extremely loaded Q5's Audi should look at selling moderately loaded Q5's. No need for B&O's and panoramic sun-roofs.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:39   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Nano sales figures are dismal. At 3065 cars when the Sanand, Gujarat plant has commenced production and with the waiting list disappearing, the initial hype is gone.From now on the sale will be by the merits of the Nano. Its just like the starson's launching in Bollywood. Their first film runs with the family name but from the next film onwards they have to earn their bread and butter. Back to the topic,even the A Star that does not sell well at all, sold 3209 units.There were predictions of traffic jams with a deluge of Nanos but with 3209 units, the Altos, i10"s and Wagon Rs may make a better roadmap for traffic jams.
And the Innova (4516 units), Scorpio (4513 units) and Xylo (3137 units) outsell the Nano, though these are in a different class.
The Indica at 9732 units is also not able to compete well with the Marutis and Hyundais in its segment. The Indigo at 8292 units is outselling other C segment sedans.Most of the sales come from the Vista and Manza.
The Ambassador at 607 units and the Logan at 1079 units are suffering from some kind of sale asphyxiation, which the people who market them should know better.Perhaps they do not know and that's why these dismal figures.
The punch line comes from the fact that all the cars or SUV's labelled as "criminal" to own (by a Hon'ble Minister) are selling very well, which include the German imports.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th November 2010 at 22:54.
Old 17th November 2010, 00:50   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
7 seats and a lot more metal for not so much more green's. Instead of extremely loaded Q5's Audi should look at selling moderately loaded Q5's. No need for B&O's and panoramic sun-roofs.
Yup the Q7 is more practical than the Q5 as you've mentioned but i dont think they should exclude that awesome B&O system. The panoramic sun roof's are maybe too much for our conditions and that alone can be excluded.
Anyways what would these German marques be without their bell's and whistles right. That's what defines them.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:56   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

The B&O sound system is no more available on the Q5, it was only available when the Q5 was sold as a CBU, but since they now assemble it the B&O and Climate controlled seats are no more options.

Regards,
Old 17th November 2010, 14:30   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Surprising figures to me:

Is the booking/delivery happening?
Yeti : 102

I don't see one in CBE roads.
Aria : 344

Are this Govt/Military orders ot to normal public?
Gypsy : 405
Yeti and Aria figures are primary sales (Company to dealer) and these should include the demo cars as well.

Gypsy figures consists both,institutional and retail sales.
Old 20th November 2010, 03:10   #131
Senior - BHPian

Apparetnly Innova and Corolla seem to continue to have production constraints - seems like a 2 month waiting period and probably the reason they cannot sell more

Toyota delivery delays on Corolla altis, Innova and Fortuner | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos
Old 20th November 2010, 14:41   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Hello,

The B&O sound system is no more available on the Q5, it was only available when the Q5 was sold as a CBU, but since they now assemble it the B&O and Climate controlled seats are no more options.

Regards,
Hmm , now that's a real pity . But they do have it as an option right ?

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 20th November 2010 at 14:42. Reason: 2nd posting within 2 minutes
Old 20th November 2010, 15:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post

Source of the numbers is here: De buitenlandse verkoopcijfers (oktober 2010 @ pag. 13) - AutoWeek.nl and here: Æû³µÏúÁ¿ÅÅÐÐ_Ñ¡³µÍø

My humble attempt at an analysis (far from your robust analysises on this forum!) of the Chinese numbers is here: China October 2010: VW Lavida #1 World's Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog

Hope you find this useful!
cheers
matt
Thanks a lot Matt for these links. It is good to see what's happening around the world in car industry. And I am delighted to you have in team bhp. Its the best place/forum for Indian auto industry.
Old 21st November 2010, 13:18   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
Thanks a lot Matt for these links. It is good to see what's happening around the world in car industry. And I am delighted to you have in team bhp. Its the best place/forum for Indian auto industry.
You're more than welcome erohit, I'm glad you enjoyed the links!
I am honoured to have been accepted in the Team-bhp community, it is truly the most knowledgeable community about the Indian auto industry.
If any of you guys also have info about the car market in some of your neighbouring countries like Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan or even Bangladesh, I would LOVE to hear from you! All I have for now is very vague... :-(
Have a nice Sunday!
Matt

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd December 2010 at 11:50.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:55   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Matt, That's an awesome link for the entire world car sales. Congrats.

Never seen so much information at a single site.

It was an eye opener to see how different are each individial countries

with regards to vehicular sales. I hope to see more action from you here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed