Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Any possibility of classifying this on the basis of petrol and diesel. For instance, sales between Figo and Beat, for the sake of comparision could be misleading. I am assuming a lot of diesels are botching up the Figo sales numbers
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:49   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Fiat
Linea : 700
Punto : 1300
Palio : 25
500 : 0
Whats with punto numbers. Its not that bad an offering, rated quite good in the premium hatchback segment. Is the plastic quality all that makes cars sell ?

Quote:
Honda
City : 4316
Civic : 401
Accord: 197
Jazz : 332
CRV : 29
I bet Honda will have to rethink its strategy for premium segment, its no more a favorite.

Quote:
Mahindra
Logan : 1079
Xylo : 3137
Scorpio : 4513
Bolero : 7987
Other Jeeps : 271
Mahindra surely knows about selling better than Renault. The local belief on M&M is much more than Renault.
Quote:
Maruti
800 : 2631
Omni : 8564
Alto : 32612
Estilo : 4853
WagonR : 16952
Dzire : 9644
SX4 : 1977
Eeco : 6815
Swift : 12948
A Star : 3209
Ritz : 6928
Gypsy : 405
G. Vitara : 17
I don't think anybody can ever take them of the pole position, forget about the podium. Eeco at 6815 is great, is the TATA Venture launched. Will it be able to eat some numbers out of Eeco/ Omni

Quote:
Tata
Indica : 9732
Indigo : 8292
Sumo : 1688
Safari : 1357
Aria : 344
Nano : 3065
Unfortunately, everything with Nano is Nano. The sales too. Off the shelf bookings are on now, still the same. TML in trouble, or time will tell the story.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd November 2010 at 20:51. Reason: Please avoid putting the entire text in bold, thanks
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Guess Tata will have to start "Save the Nano" campaign to boost the sales. lest it shall be an endangered species.
I'm not an expert to comment on the sales side, but the publicity that Tata has got worldwide because of the Nano should more than make up for this. They said it couldn't be done, but Tata did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
My Sedan prediction for December.

1. City - 3500
2. Vento-2500
3. Verna-1500 +- 300
4. SX4-1500 +- 300
5 Fiesta - 1500 +- 300
6. Linea - 1000
Why is everyone predicting for December? Why not November?

Last edited by SafeDrive : 2nd November 2010 at 18:09.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:07   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Whats with punto numbers. Its not that bad an offering, rated quite good in the premium hatchback segment. Is the plastic quality all that makes cars sell ?

I think its the After Sales Service that matters. Its like getting a pressure cooker without a guarantee.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:07   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Some free time on my hands and playing with excel.

Difference between these figures with Sept 2010 (September 2010 - Indian Car Sales Figures)

Ford
Ikon : +94
Fiesta : -143
Endeavour : +11
Figo : +684
This is really worrying me Even though Ford currently offering limited edition for Fiesta almost 6L OTR still no positive response from the market.

Instead sales chart seems to be dropping further. So its good for ford to introduce the New Fiesta and consider to stop the Ikon production.

Regards,
Camon
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
This is really worrying me Even though Ford currently offering limited edition for Fiesta almost 6L OTR still no positive response from the market.

Instead sales chart seems to be dropping further. So its good for ford to introduce the New Fiesta and consider to stop the Ikon production.

Regards,
Camon
Ford is bringing out the new Fiesta soon. In fact they had a dealer display yesterday. They are also stopping the Ikon next year. Hopefully the launch of the new Fiesta will raise their numbers.
P.S. - They will not be stopping the sale of the exisitng version of the Fiesta. It will be available with the new.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Ford is bringing out the new Fiesta soon. In fact they had a dealer display yesterday. They are also stopping the Ikon next year. Hopefully the launch of the new Fiesta will raise their numbers.
P.S. - They will not be stopping the sale of the exisitng version of the Fiesta. It will be available with the new.
Hi Safedrive,

Thanks for the info; did you able to check out the New Fiesta in the dealership?
I feel that incase if they start selling the exiting Fiesta along with New Fiesta, history will repeats like what’s now currently happening for Ikon.

Regards,
Camon
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
i10 is in a segment lower than that of Swift. Further, i10 has a smaller 1.1L engine that costs 3.5L ex-showroom, while Swift 1.2L base variant is priced at 4.2L ex-showroom.
Hmm, now we really dont know how many in them are i10 1.1 and how many are i10 1.2 kappa!

but judging by what i see on roads, i have seen only i10 1.2 & very very few i10 1.1, and so if we compare the prices of i10 (4.15-5.94) to swift (4.39-5.64), they are on par & in the same segment.
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:12   #69
BHPian

i20 & Skoda sales jumps

A couple of random thoughts.

[] There were quite a few complaints about i20 steering column related problems. Has this problem been resolved if it was due to an engg design shortcoming? Or were these complaints restricted to a batch/a few customers? Or is this a case "take the plunge and deal with issue later?

[] On a similar note - the horror stories of Skoda A. S. S. . Were these exaggerations or is there an improvement on the Skoda side WRT resolving customer complaints? Or once again people taking the plunge and hoping for the best ignoring the reported shortcomings ?

Will some clued in soul shed some light on this please?
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:05   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, as usual a fantastic sum-up and great info right on the begining of the month. I await this thread with eagerness of a small child begining of each month.

Firstly, its feel good thought and feeling that both cars in my stable ( i10 and Cruze) are doing phenomenally well. And, particularly happy to see the surge in Cruze sales. It is well deserved and for that price point it cannot go wrong.

Now just waitiing for the Petrol Cruze to come and shake up the C+ petrol sedan segment.

Thanks to Bblost's comparison worksheet, it's very evident that the major upswings have been with Alto and Wagon R both of which have been recently given new engines and some thoughtful cosmetic changes as well.

However, i am sad to note that all products from Fiat stable are still struggling to scale up to competition. They are doing so many things to sell their products but, still it refuses to move off the shelve. It deserves better than that. I am hoping the T-Jet will add some substantial numbers to their next month sale ( considering its Diwali time also)

Finally, all products from Honda are in the minus. Wonder why?

Thanks again for this wonderful analysis and most exciting time of each month
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Now just waitiing for the Petrol Cruze to come and shake up the C+ petrol sedan segment.

Thanks to Bblost's comparison worksheet, it's very evident that the major upswings have been with Alto and Wagon R both of which have been recently given new engines and some thoughtful cosmetic changes as well.

However, i am sad to note that all products from Fiat stable are still struggling to scale up to competition. They are doing so many things to sell their products but, still it refuses to move off the shelve. It deserves better than that. I am hoping the T-Jet will add some substantial numbers to their next month sale ( considering its Diwali time also)

Finally, all products from Honda are in the minus. Wonder why?

Thanks again for this wonderful analysis and most exciting time of each month

The erstwhile Fiat dealers seem to have done a pretty much an irreparable damage to the Fiat brand and so in spite of having some really world class products they are struggling to find buyers. So India is surely going to be a tough market to crack for Fiat. They have done and continue to do well in many other merging markets so i hope the 'Indian' enigma is unraveld soon.

There is only one reason that Honda sales are slipping. High prices and not enough value for money offerings. Honda needs to seriously lower the price of Jazz and the Civic to match other competitors in the price bracket. They also need to increase the value and equipment offered on their best selling city as the competition has finally caught up or bettered its best selling sedan. If Honda continues to play pricey soon we may have a Tjet or a Vento (more likely) beating it in sales. Another huge reason is the lack of a diesel heart which may prove costly for Honda in the near future.

Its really nice to see the Cruze leading its segment. Lots of equipment and a lovely powerful diesel. Once again proving that Toyota took a hasty decision in launching the 1.4 diesel Altis. However i may still be proved wrong here.

But I am not sure if a petrol cruze will sell too well unless its priced near about the City or the Vento.
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:43   #72
BHPian

how can Yeti sell 102 units when the car is yet to be launched?
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:47   #73
BHPian

@justwheels : This is related to one of your comment on Logan's better sales . When M&M and Renault were together , it was only M&M who took care of the sales and marketing , so its nothing to do with Renault even before on sales , so how come the M&M is better than Renault now !?
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:00   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
@justwheels : This is related to one of your comment on Logan's better sales . When M&M and Renault were together , it was only M&M who took care of the sales and marketing , so its nothing to do with Renault even before on sales , so how come the M&M is better than Renault now !?
I guess the increase in Logan's numbers is simply due to the price slash which Mahindra has done post alliance break up. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:41   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
I guess the increase in Logan's numbers is simply due to the price slash which Mahindra has done post alliance break up. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well if you say slashing of the price is the only reason why its selling more than during M&m Renault days, I would still say M&M has better sales strategy to cut the price and have more numbers on sale books. Tomorrow (Wish) Honda cuts the price of Jazz by 1-1.5L, you can see the difference in the numbers for sure.(just an example of an overpriced hatch). After all isn't pricing a part of sales and marketing of a brand.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed