Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:48   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

DCEite - mostly an opp take, but we all have our openions.

1) Why is the Alto better and safer. AFAIK - it smaller, expensive and does not match up on safety standards of the Nano, which is much more modern. Yes maybe the newer Alto (which is worldwide the A-Star)
2) Just yesterday there was a fire incident of a Ford Fiesta burning down on the Mumbaa-Pune Expressway - (1 dead - wife of rich industrialist - 2 others injured) Somehow that did not get the kind of coverage in that a nano fire does.
3) Yes TATA is not a Pioneer in petrol engines - we can expect a diesel one soon, besides they have pioneered this version of the petrol engine globaly among all cars, before the Japs and koreans.
4) Can't help the Sound I guess - will change with a diesel
5) Yes boot space is less than an Alto, but Interior space is much more than an Alto. One can almost walk in errect and sit in reasonable comfort. (even 6 footers).
6) Even post recent price hike it still is VFM
7) Image - Actually a lot of people are buying it for the fad, and as a style statement or as a third car and that is helping the image rather than anything else. Presently 2/3rd of the bookings are for the top 2 models.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think Nano is slowly losing its charm. It should have had a AT and clean diesel engine from the beginning.
Could have also gone the electric route to make it really stand out. Once I had thought about buying a Nano. It does not make any sense now and is not really a 1 lakh car

Last edited by srishiva : 3rd November 2010 at 12:58.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nano can still be a hit car only if they sort out all the issues related to quality. If they can manage a niggle free car then sales will go up steadily. Currently i guess people are scared to buy Nano due to media pointing out the fire incidents all over. All factors mentioned above are valid in some way.

I also liked the car very much & would like to buy one for my wife. But i will buy only if it is a optimum quality car like maruti cars with great reliability. Tata must focus on quality issues in it. Even if it will increase the cost a little, in long run it will help TML for sure.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:07   #19
BHPian

Here is my contribution to the suggestion

1. It was pegged as an alternative to 2 wheelers , but affordable schemes for Nano is non existent. Interest rates are un affordable by the people who would buy them

2. People who could afford them don't consider it as it is not as refined (perceived or otherwise). Case point wife and sis in law think it looks funny and co workers think it sounds like a rickshaw. ( I could get my wife to agree to consider the Nano europa as an option)

I wanted to buy one , kit it out / bling it out and drive it but i can't afford / don't need 2 cars.

What Tata needs to do for kickstarting Nano sales is release
1. the Europa Model also with the 3 Cyl engine or beg / steal the 2 cyl 998 multi air engine from Fiat and plonk it in the Nano.
2. Refine the interiors to a black / funkier interior colors. Add storage, Banish the battery to the front of the car.
3. Add a hatch. In fact i would say add a hatch which splits both ways and can be used as a boot extender
4. Add a little wider rubber to give it that squatter look
5. Add a center console and make the gear lever look shorter. Add a 5th gear

Position the Old Nano as Orignale and new new improved version as some other name with or without the Nano prefix. You have wider price range of Nano. Make the Nano name a brand. Add more variations of the Nano family, Start thinking of a more rugged sudo SUV model.

Well enough wishful thinking

Last edited by sreedotk : 3rd November 2010 at 13:08.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:13   #20
BHPian

Agree that the Nano's position as a "cheap" car may actually hurt it.

People in low income brackets do aspire to own a premium or luxury product (luxury being a relative term here, after all for some a Swift if premium, and for some a Honda City is cheap).

Many of these people may not want to buy the car known for being a "cheap" car, and may rather go for used Alto's or 800's.

Other factors to consider
1) Roads in villages are NOT suited for cars, even Nanos.
I just came back from a trip to my ancestral village, and we learned the hard way why one should never take a Honda City into the interiors of a village.
The roads are only wide enough for 1 vehicle, and the constant plethora of bullock carts, 2 wheelers and the occasional oncoming Mahindra Bolera is a recipe for disaster.
2) A nano is many times more expensive to own and run than a 2-wheeler.
Even assuming one buys the nano, for 3~4 people they would rather load up on the motorcycle that gives 50+ fuel average than the nano that would probably give around 25 kmpl.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I am not a big fan of Nano.

1. For a slight increase in EMIs , you get much better and safer Alto
2. Fire incidents and TATA niggles
3. TATA not a pioneer in petrol engines. Japanease and Korean rule the roost.
4. Enigne sounds like an Autorikshaw
5. Lack of boot space
6. Recent price hikes
7. Image - people will see you as someone desparetly trying to upgrade to a 4 wheeler from a 2 wheeler.
1. How is Alto any safer or better ? It has lesser room to sit, awkward seating position. Fewer features. As far as safety is concerned Alto is no better (if not worse!) than Nano.

2. Fire incidents have just been blown up by media. Niggle wise - Tata has largely covered its ground with Nano.

3. Neither are Japs or Koreans master of petrol engines. Europeans have been churning out best engine tech (petrol & diesel) for decades now yet have failed to sell with same gusto in India.

4. I quite agree here.

5. The space issue is marginal considering your target customer base.

6. Even without price hikes, Maruti products are overpriced and so are offerings from Hyundai and Honda. They still sell.

7. Actually Nano's Image is the best part. Its has a cult and iconic status with even mega rich diving in for Nano. On the other hand, with Alto or M800, you actually are considered in the lower end of stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I will buy only if it is a optimum quality car like maruti cars with great reliability. Tata must focus on quality issues in it. Even if it will increase the cost a little, in long run it will help TML for sure.
Every one to its own and I fully respect your belief.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Other factors to consider
1) Roads in villages are NOT suited for cars, even Nanos.
I just came back from a trip to my ancestral village, and we learned the hard way why one should never take a Honda City into the interiors of a village.
The roads are only wide enough for 1 vehicle, and the constant plethora of bullock carts, 2 wheelers and the occasional oncoming Mahindra Bolera is a recipe for disaster.
Check the ground clearance and track width and also gradeability of nano you will be surprised that nano will not face any problems which your Honda city faced in village roads.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Dont compare Alto with Nano. Alto is a proven vehicle over years & its one of the most reliable cars in the market. Its FE is also very good. Fit & finish is also better. A.S.S. is well proven & one of the best.

Tata need to do something different else sales will struggle to touch 6-7 K mark as well.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:16   #24
BANNED

The dip in Nano sales was only to be expected. With all the noise and hoopla, a large percentage of the Nano booking was not of potential owners, but Premium seekers. Now that things are normalizing (no waiting list) the true picture will emerge.

I hope that it does not go the Logan way - the built to a price fatally wounded the Logan,
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Dont compare Alto with Nano. Alto is a proven vehicle over years & its one of the most reliable cars in the market. Its FE is also very good. Fit & finish is also better. A.S.S. is well proven & one of the best.

Tata need to do something different else sales will struggle to touch 6-7 K mark as well.
Add to that - Alto looks like a car and what about the engine? Forget the K10, even the older 800 cc engine is much more refined.

I do not think people in metro cities will buy Nano in huge numbers - it is not considered as a proper car by many! Some people having spare money are buying it just like a 'toy' or 'Indian pride' as their 2nd/3rd/4th car.
Tata needs to target the Tier 3/4 towns.
Also, what exactly is the price difference between a Nano and an Alto 800 cc?
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:51   #26
BHPian

Tata Motors DONT give away sales numbers, they give numbers of deliveries made in a particular month. In last two months sales have dipped because :-

source: The Hindu Business Line : Nano production to be ramped up soon

Quote:
Nano production to be ramped up soon. Entire production to be shifted to Sanand.
Production of Nano cars will return to the levels of 8,000-9,000 in two-three months as Tata Motors is ramping up production at the dedicated manufacturing plant in Sanand, Gujarat.

Mr R. Ramakrishnan, Vice-President, Passenger Car Business Unit, Tata Motors, said that Nano production went down in September because the company had stopped making the car at the interim facility a the Pantnagar plant and shifted production entirely to Sanand.

The Sanand plant has the capacity to roll out 20,000 units a month. However, the current monthly production hovers around 5,000 units.

The despatch of Nanos increased progressively from 3,525 in May to 7,704 in June and to 9,000 in July and 8,103 units in August. This is mainly because the company started making Nanos at Sanand in June, besides continuing production at Pantngar. The company was making around 3,500 units in Pantnagar and the rest from Sanand plant.

Mr Ramakrishnan said that the whole supply chain is to be fully in place before ramping up production. Some of the component suppliers at the vendor park attached to the Sanand plant are yet to be fully operational. There are 41 component makers at the vendor park.

About the incidents of Nano catching fire, he said that the incidents were not due to design flaws. He said the company is working on diesel, electric and CNG versions.

More Ace capacity

Having stopped making Nano at its light commercial vehicle plant in Pantnagar, Tata Motors has freed up capacity to make many more units of sub-one tonne light truck Ace. The company had earlier planned to increase the production of Ace at Pantnagar to 2.75 lakh units a year from 2.25 lakh.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Add to that - Alto looks like a car and what about the engine? Forget the K10, even the older 800 cc engine is much more refined.

I do not think people in metro cities will buy Nano in huge numbers - it is not considered as a proper car by many! Some people having spare money are buying it just like a 'toy' or 'Indian pride' as their 2nd/3rd/4th car.
Tata needs to target the Tier 3/4 towns.
Also, what exactly is the price difference between a Nano and an Alto 800 cc?
Actually, most of the people whom i have met had liked the looks of the car and i never think that the looks is bad! And you cannot compare the 800cc unit to nano's 623cc as the former is a 3 cylinder unit whereas the nano's is a 2 cylinder one. And about the metro city part, might be true, but there sure are lots of people going in for nano purely because of the convenience it offers. More legroom, headroom and all than the alto.

As you have asked:
Alto Std ex-showroom : Rs 2,31,535
Nano base ex-showroom: Rs 1,36,860

Alto LX : Rs 2,62,943
Nano CX : 1,61,887

And i surely believe that Nano is the better choice for the city runs. And its really economical too. My Nano gives me around 16-17 km/l purely in the city in the initial months itself!

Just my opinions.

Just for an info:
Maruti 800 Std : Rs 1,96,903
And i am sure the nano is better built and much more comfortable than an 800.( I know the 800 is an old design, but for the price nano offers better).

I pray that nano sales go up as it has the potential to do so. And its really sad to see such a negative response from the public. Of course there are certain niggles that are to be sorted out.

And about the engine sound, it does take some time to get used to ( i know the difficulty as i own one!), but now i am feeling totally fine with it. And the price hikes are inevitable to an extent. And i came across a few posts stating that owning a nano gives a bad image! Absoultely NOT! Wherever i go in the car, all heads turn towards the car. And i have seen atleast 8 to 10 people approaching my dad to get to know the car. Also i am sure that at least a major share of people would have tried to have a look of the car whenever possible! And i indeed feel proud to own the car. Kudos to TATA!
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Actually, most of the people whom i have met had liked the looks of the car and i never think that the looks is bad! And you cannot compare the 800cc unit to nano's 623cc as the former is a 3 cylinder unit whereas the nano's is a 2 cylinder one. And about the metro city part, might be true, but there sure are lots of people going in for nano purely because of the convenience it offers. More legroom, headroom and all than the alto.

As you have asked:
Alto Std ex-showroom : Rs 2,31,535
Nano base ex-showroom: Rs 1,36,860

Alto LX : Rs 2,62,943
Nano CX : 1,61,887

And i surely believe that Nano is the better choice for the city runs. And its really economical too. My Nano gives me around 16-17 km/l purely in the city in the initial months itself!

Just my opinions.

Just for an info:
Maruti 800 Std : Rs 1,96,903
And i am sure the nano is better built and much more comfortable than an 800.( I know the 800 is an old design, but for the price nano offers better).

I pray that nano sales go up as it has the potential to do so. And its really sad to see such a negative response from the public. Of course there are certain niggles that are to be sorted out.

And about the engine sound, it does take some time to get used to ( i know the difficulty as i own one!), but now i am feeling totally fine with it. And the price hikes are inevitable to an extent. And i came across a few posts stating that owning a nano gives a bad image! Absoultely NOT! Wherever i go in the car, all heads turn towards the car. And i have seen atleast 8 to 10 people approaching my dad to get to know the car. Also i am sure that at least a major share of people would have tried to have a look of the car whenever possible! And i indeed feel proud to own the car. Kudos to TATA!
No hard feelings mate, we are here to analyze what is wrong with Nano's sales which is not as per expectations ( I am sure you will agree as well ).
Nobody is saying Nano is a bad car or Tata motors has done a bad job with the car. Even, I am proud of the 'Nano' because an Indian company could come up with a proper car at this price which everyone else thought impossible.
So, here goes my reasons for the not-so-good showing of Nano -
  • Perception - First of all, there are many ppl who like the cute looks of the Nano but not interested in buying it! I keep on talking to many non-BHPians who do not have very good knowledge about cars but form the majority of the car buyers (somehow ppl around think that I know a lot about cars and hence come to me for opinion LOL). The impression I got from talking to them is - The Nano is hardly a car and more of an autorickshaw with 4 wheels. I know it is not true and the car offers much more than that but perception about a product once formed is difficult to change.
  • Cheapest car in world claim! Does it help? Tata going all out advertising Nano as the cheapest car in the world has not created a good impression about its quality. I am not saying the quality is bad compared to a 800/Alto but the general feeling is - if they are building the cheapest car in the wold, then Tata would have definitely cut corners and compromised on quality.
  • Alternative to a 2-wheeler. Really? the price increase has definitely not helped. If Tata motors wanted people to consider Nano instead of 2-wheeler, they should have kept it at 1 Lakh and not increased the price so much. Because now what has happened is Nano is not being considered as an alternative to 2-wheelers but rather it has to compete with other cars like Alto - again a total diversion from the original concept of the Nano. You plan to build a car as an alternative to 2-wheelers and advertised accordingly, now that car is having to compete with other established cars in the market and not 2-wheelers. A blunder as far as market positioning and execution goes.
  • Who are buying after all? Initially, the Nano was created with the idea of providing middle-class people a 4-wheeler at almost the cost of a 2-wheeler. But I have not seen many people buying Nano as their only car, at least in metros. Whatever sales I have seen are the people buying it as their 2nd/3rd/4th car for simply the joy and pride of owning a 'Nano'. But, the point is - this is not what the targeted market for Nano was and that I feel is one of the main problems.

It might be a different ball game in smaller towns which is where Tata needs to focus more. So, there is still hope for the Nano.
The answer to the million dollar question - Nano will find it going tough in metro cities. TML needs to target the smaller/semi-urban crowd and need to come up with innovative schemes for finance and marketing. I hope it succeeds!
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:54   #29
BANNED

My feeling is that the Word-of-mouth publicity is bad about NANO. I would like to ask, how many owners of Nano really recommended this car to those to shown interest after seeing your vehicle. The early niggles (which is still happening) is ruin the sales.
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
My feeling is that the Word-of-mouth publicity is bad about NANO. I would like to ask, how many owners of Nano really recommended this car to those to shown interest after seeing your vehicle. The early niggles (which is still happening) is ruin the sales.
Do you own a nano and have first hand experience about the niggels or it is just an open statement?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks