BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
As you have asked:
Alto Std ex-showroom : Rs 2,31,535
Nano base ex-showroom: Rs 1,36,860

Alto LX : Rs 2,62,943
Nano CX : 1,61,887
With discounts/offers by MUL , dealers makes it close to the onroad price .
Quote:
And I surely believe that Nano is the better choice for the city runs. And its really economical too. My Nano gives me around 16-17 km/l purely in the city in the initial months itself!
Quote:
How long do other cars take to give optimal mileage ?
Just my opinions.

Just for an info:
Maruti 800 Std : Rs 1,96,903
For 2.05 lakhs you can get it onroad.

Quote:
And i am sure the nano is better built and much more comfortable than an 800.( I know the 800 is an old design, but for the price nano offers better).
800 has proved beyond its merit . I had a 800 which did almost 60k kms without any kind of major service except oil changes . And there are many 800 which are still doing a sterling duty.

Last edited by Amartya : 8th November 2010 at 00:14. Reason: Formatted to make it easier to read. Use the preview post option to check what your post looks like before submitting it.
Old 5th November 2010, 16:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
If I stay opposite a huge non premium 500 apartment complex . I actually saw it built in front of me and mostly all the accupants are urban middle class and first time Apt buyers......all the cars are either Altos,Santros or Wagon -Rs. or Zens.
An apartment in Pune would cost around 10 - 20 lakh 3 years back. Someone who can afford to pay EMIs for that, would aim for a segment higher than Nano.

Car buying is as much about "aspiration" as it is about utility. If they can afford Alto they would buy it.

IMHO, i10 is the current choice for urban buyers in Pune/Mumbai. Specially those who can afford their own home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
It was suprising to note that Alto outsold Nano 10:1 in october.
I agree. Tata should bring out a "Fully loaded" version of Nano to capture this demographic. They could add air bags, ABS, stereo and make it an aspirational product.
Old 5th November 2010, 18:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
It was suprising to note that Alto outsold Nano 10:1 in october.
See, the bottom line is these king of economical cars take time to pick up. The fact is the Alto was neither selling 30,000 units nor outselling the 800 at the time of its launch. The sales slowly picked up to overtake the 800 and slowly increased to its present level. The Nano sales will also definitely pick up, but it remains to be seen whether it can catch up with the Alto.
Old 5th November 2010, 21:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

I own a CRV, an i20 CRDi and would not mind buying a Nano for a 3rd car.. but wont... at least for the next 2-3 years...

Why? Simply because I have previously owned an Indica and seen the usual Tata niggles...
Old 7th November 2010, 17:27   #50
BHPian

Just my personal thoughts/comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
With discounts/offers by MUL , dealers makes it close to the onroad price.
Yes, but have not seen huge discounts especially for the Alto. And I posted this just as someone had asked for it! .
Quote:
How long do other cars take to give optimal mileage ?
The FE usually gets better after the 1st service/ run-in period. Actually i hope to get better FE, say north of 20, after my second service.
Quote:
Maruti 800 Std : Rs 1,96,903 (for 2.05 lakhs you can get it onroad.)
Yes, but a similarly equipped Nano costs almost Rs.60,000 to 65,000 less.
Quote:
800 has proved beyond its merit . I had a 800 which did almost 60k kms without any kind of major service except oil changes . And there are many 800 wich are still doing a sterling duty .
Great to hear that. M-800 is an extremely proven car. What i meant was of its build quality and the space/comfort. Nano has to prove its long term reliability. No wonder there are millions of 800's on our roads. But, Nano's space and build is way better than an M-800.
Hope you got my point

Last edited by Amartya : 8th November 2010 at 00:19. Reason: Edited your post to make it easier to read.If there is a post that is hard to quote, report it, we'll take care of it.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:07   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Just my personal thoughts/comments!.......
The 800 might be costly by 60k-70k but again you get a proper engine which is water cooled , can be run at extremes .The tyres are of the same size .. it dosent look like a ducks feet like in a nano. The spare tyre can be used for any wheel unlike in the nano . Bigger fuel tank meaning extended range . The 800 has boot space which is much better . Suspension set up is much better in the 800 compared to a NANO . ( this is from my view point , after owning both the vehicles )

Last edited by Amartya : 8th November 2010 at 00:21. Reason: Had edited the original post, hence a slight change to this one to correct the reference.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Regarding 800, verdict is already out. Its sales have been trending lower for quite some time. And yes, its sales is less than Nano (look at numbers in monthly sales threads).

Alto is the new King of cars in the range of 3 lakh rupees.
Old 7th November 2010, 21:38   #53
BHPian

^^ i double checked to make sure that it is today's post!! :O

isn't 800's production is stopped!!? or are we referring to Alto 800? and at that price? am i missing something here
Old 7th November 2010, 23:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
isn't 800's production is stopped!!?
800 is being produced and is available. Sales number from this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-figures.html

Quote:
Maruti
800 : 2631
Omni : 8564
Alto : 32612
Quote:
Tata....
Aria : 344
Nano : 3065
Old 8th November 2010, 18:01   #55

Tata Nano Needs a lot more features

First and foremost... I agree with all of those who've mentioned the need for features. As for Nano, they really need to give addons
  1. Options for Power Steering
  2. Audio/Video enhancements
  3. Dashboard needs to have glove compartment
  4. Hatch-Back version
  5. Auto-Type Sound - that must be changed
  6. A touch version for the button that puts on Hazzard warning lights
Further, initially it felt real nice to own a Nano, but wait a minute, I've got the LX - Golden color variant and paid an amount over 2Lakhs to get it home, so please don't turn it down by calling "sasta 1-lakh car". That is one major reason I feel so bad about the Nano. People have started looking down upon Nano. It's not a "Janta" product man, its a Tata Nano.

If Nano turns out to be a Taxi-Driver car, I am gonna discard it away for sure!

The other day I had my brother's i20 on the front seat.. oh lala... that was one lovely drive. It felt even better than the Swift. Yes there is major price difference, and i20 is not for the common man, but still if Nano goes to auto/taxi drivers I wud not feel comfy to drive it with ur family & friends. Might as well buy a used Maruti Zen.
Old 8th November 2010, 19:34   #56
BHPian

My wild hypothesis for Nano sales not taking off as expected. I think positioning it as 1 lakh rupee car has hurt it in a couple of ways. One is many people didnt expect a 1 lakh rupee car to be a complete car. They expected it to be more like a 4 wheel auto. Secondly, in reality people are paying close to 2 lakh or more for buying Nano. This along with the first factor makes people think that for another 40K or so, they can buy a M800 or a decent used car (meaning real car). I am not against Nano. I felt proud when Nano was launched, felt bad when people trashed it for fire accidents and now feel sorry that it is not selling well.
Old 8th November 2010, 20:34   #57
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with folks who say the positioning o the Nano was wrong, i.e 1 Lakh Rupee car. Nano is more of a brand I feel.

We have a white CX at home and I've driven it around for 300kms in town (its done 600kms) and its a complete blast to drive and zip around town! I would anyday go for a Nano instead of an 800/alto for many reasons. Some folks say pay a little more and get a 'real car' - these are the ignorant people who need to be educated about the car. I don't intend driving the car to Leh, but then again, why shouldn't I? The Nano is as real a car as there can be.

Older folks will just love the Nano and not bother about top end speed, and also find it comfortable very to use everyday. Initially, people who never had a closer look at a Nano were astonished to sit inside and get a feel of the car. Two family friends have booked the car in the last few days, and these were folk who thought Nano was like an auto rickshaw (or whatever crazy perception people have). TML needs to break this mindset and drive home a better message. People need to be more aware of what the car is. Most importantly, all the info aam janta have on the Nano is second hand nonsense, and TML needs to do something here. This will sustain the Nano in the long run.

Our Nano was bought as a spare car for groceries and school trips, and it does the job in style . Initially even I felt the engine sound was weird and in this day and age they could have made it sound better, but over the last few days, I feel its like a go-kart...and it goes like one too! The engine seems to be getting quieter, and I'm hoping it will get better after the first couple of services. I just love it and don't want to drive anything else nowadays! I wish it all the luck and highly recommend it to potential buyers!

Last edited by NIP : 8th November 2010 at 20:53.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

100% right, NIP! These guys talking about real cars should know that for some guys real cars are Lauras and for some BMWs and for some Bentleys etc. etc. It depends on one's affordability coupled with one's liking. There is no defrinition of "Real car" anywhere. It's all relative. And yes, I find Nano leagues ahead of 800. Look at all the space inside. Why 800? It beats many C segment cars in that department. I will pick Nano over 800 any day.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Well we are comparing 1 month sales data to tell the sales are down. Do you really believe the makers of Indica and Safari are going to let Nano Die?

Its more like Telling arey Sachin is not playing, well guess he should retire!! Look whats happening now.

This product can be a bigger hit and if the new plant in Guj is anything to go by for the amount of investment this car sales will improve.
Old 8th November 2010, 23:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

I think it is too early to write off Nano, one months data is not enough to conclude that it does not enthuse buyers. According to media reports, TM finished the delivery of 100,000 cars and are having issues with supply chain at the new plant. Also they need to be ready for the launch and production of Nano Europa in 2011. Once all these issues are resolved and the production ramped up (may be even with slight upgrades, like openable boot etc), probably they will go for a marketing blitz and start pan india sales. I doubt the sales are down and the stock is piling up at the dealers backyard.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks