Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2005, 11:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai?

Indian Auto Component manufactorers are a worried lot. China has arrived, mainly in the wheel rims and steering systems segment. Their quoted costs are 40% lower. This has prompted Tata Motors to source their steering systems from chinese companies.

http://www.business-standard.com/com...&autono=205937
Old 12th December 2005, 12:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

watch out for sumos and Indicas veerig off-course
Old 12th December 2005, 13:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Don't scare me! I got new power steering bearings and seal kit.
Old 12th December 2005, 14:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

The PC/Laptop that you guys used to post this thread and response probably has about 70% or more of its components sourced from China...

Mad in China = Cheap, <> bad quality. On the other hand, Made in India = very suspect quality. You have NO idea what kind of reputation we have in the manufacturing sector, thanks to businessmen more intent on making a quick buck than a reputation.

Dont make fun of them - try to match them. For the moment, I'd be happier with Chinese components than with our own.
Old 13th December 2005, 12:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah - forget china - taiwan , brazil and all LCC's are on their way here

and dont worry - the goods are not as bad as you think ! infact much better than what u get locally made
Old 13th December 2005, 13:03   #6
BHPian

The general feeling is that anything Made in China is "Cheap". But "Cheap" does not necessarily mean bad in terms of quality. Almost anything we buy in the US is out of China. The entire supply chain out of China would have collapsed if the quality of the products wasnt acceptable in the first place.
Old 13th December 2005, 14:10   #7
BHPian

Friends being in the Logistics trade i have seen the shift in the volumes of stuff being imported from China , and let me tell you its huge. Earlier we would get around 1500 containers in 6 months ex -china , and now that figues is per month.

The kind of stuff thats being made in China is of 3 kinds. one is really low quality but very cheap , so its basically use and throw.

Second is the kind which is kinda of durable and the third is of good quality.
Unfortunately the business men here are only intrested in importing the tirst and the second quality types and not the high end chinese goods.
I personelly feel one should be carefull about the really cheap chiness goods , but otherwise the porducts are durable .
I think its high time our government and the manufactures here learn from the chinese and shape up for the future .
Old 13th December 2005, 16:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

i totally agree with badcheetah, and a shift of manafacturing plants of world recognised brands to china certainly speaks aloud about the quality the chinese are capable of.

manson.
Old 13th December 2005, 17:41   #9
BHPian

can we now have some cute miniature steering wheels!? and headlights sleek as the chini eyez?!

the Chinese, no doubt are a lot more capable compared to us Indians! and that too at far lesser cost than us! its just that as most of the indian traders have been getting only the rejected goods from china to india to sell them here as in that they have the highest margins! and thus, spoiling the name of china in india!

Today, 90% of the top companies into Electronics, have their goods made in China! the best of laptops, AV Systems to chips and what nots! then why not autoparts now.. good on ya , China!
Old 13th December 2005, 19:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcheetah
Friends being in the Logistics trade i have seen the shift in the volumes of stuff being imported from China , and let me tell you its huge. Earlier we would get around 1500 containers in 6 months ex -china , and now that figues is per month.
Does the stuff come by land or sea. Far as I know there is no highway that connects us to China.
Old 13th December 2005, 20:13   #11
BHPian

Dear Mpower ,
The majority of the volumes i can safely say around 90% of it comes via sea . and the balance by air . air shipments are mostly high end, high value and low density products .
You would be surprised by the number of Indian Companies (including mine )that have openned up offices in Main Land China . earlier people were operating out of Hong Kong, but now all the ports in China are major business hubs .
U would also be surprised by the number of chinese restaurants offerring Indian food . and the rates for translators have gone down drastically thanks to the large volumes of Trade between the 2 countries

Most Viewed