Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 12:17   #1
BHPian

VW Golf? Anyone interested?

Well to cut long story short i was thinking about my possible upgrade to my verna vgt in coming year.I also have ritz vdi which i find very usable in the present traffic scenario with my verna being more n more used in outstation runs because of its size and the resulting parking problems.I want the next car to have more gizmos and be more comfortable and more upmarket less NVH but if i move higher in class -Altis Jetta Civic laura,I can hardly use these cars in city and the car will stand in garage waiting for that outstation trip or dinner at 5 star hotel.
The present preminum hatches I20 jazz polo are not that premium- comes in VW GOLF.Read all the reviews on the web and am pretty convinced that for 10 lakhs approx can get top end diesel which can be used everyday enjoying its comfort and is spacious enough to be used on highways.Would like to start a discussion on this topic.Please cooperate and give your views.Should be interesting.
Old 7th November 2010, 13:29   #2
BHPian

VW Golf is one ever popular, practical and sensible family car all world over and the sales in terms of numbers is in the league of champion cars like VW Beetle, Toyota Corolla and the likes.

Sure, I would like to own one here in India but let me break your assumption on pricing, it can never be available at 10 lakhs, definitely not the new current generation including the bare basic entry level trim.

Closest to Golf in terms of price and form worldwide is the Skoda Laura, which shares the platform, engines and engineering and so does Jetta which is nothing but a Golf with a boot. Laura has a slightly extended rear section making it little more spacious than Golf, which is why it sells in Europe providing more space at equivalent or lesser price.

If you want the practicality of hatch and a large car, Laura surely fits the bill presently since its a Golf in a different skin. As far as backing it, its got one the best and accurate parking sensors I have experienced in any car I have driven.
Old 7th November 2010, 13:44   #3
BHPian

I didn't know VW Golf was selling in India? Nor has any plan been announced for its arrival.

For your requirements, looks like you can stretch your budget to the Civic range. If you can extend a little further you may be able to buy the Beetle. You haven't mentioned any specific about your space requirements?

Also this thread must be hosted in the "what car" forum, not here.
Old 7th November 2010, 14:51   #4
BHPian

To the best of my knowledge this is a discussion about viability of a premium plus hatch which gives you the comforts of d segment with price of c segment.this is not a what car question simply because Golf does not sell in India.When I20 was launched many people predicted its no success at that price range-even hyundai could not predict their success story.As the market matures more n more hatches will be launched which will be bigger than i20 jazz etc and in place of c segment sedans give competion to d segment sedans.
If you read the reviews on web about golf you will be surprised at its features-dual zone climate control,7 airbags,heated n ventilated seats,power upto 200 bhp,soft plush materials,nvh rivalling d segment cars + reliablity all of which eqates into success.
Regarding price I just checked russian site and its available their from approx 8 lakhs to 12 lakhs for the top end diesel with automatic gearbox.

Now for some drool pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
VW Golf? Anyone interested?-1567616.jpeg  

VW Golf? Anyone interested?-1567646.jpeg  

VW Golf? Anyone interested?-1567656.jpeg  

VW Golf? Anyone interested?-1668365.jpeg  

VW Golf? Anyone interested?-1754293.jpeg  

Attached Images

Old 7th November 2010, 15:10   #5
BHPian

Sure, the Golf is a very practical, and popular family car. And it'd be great to have it in India.
But with all the features you've mentioned, I believe the price would be in 18-20 lac range for the top spec, considering our high taxes.
While our market has matured enough to accept the 6-lac i20, not many people would pay over a million rupees for a hatch, however good it might be. Not yet. VW would probably wait a few years and make its footing in India strong enough before launching the Golf. In the meanwhile, the market would also have readied itself.
As and when the Golf does come, it'll probably be Made in India, like the Polo. Only hope it isn't as heavily de-specced!
Old 7th November 2010, 15:36   #6
BHPian

GOLF is a European hatchback, pitted against the likes of Ford Focus, Opel Astra, which is in C segment. In India C segment belongs to sedans, we have GOLF sedan JETTA, and Skoda Lura which shares the same platform.
We can't compare i20, or Jazz with Golf. VW Polo is placed against i20 and Jazz.
Look at the Chevy OPTRA hatch version, it never took off, I don't think there is a mass market for such car in India.
Old 7th November 2010, 15:37   #7
BHPian

I highly doubt the 10L mark. For one, its a VW and it is longer than the 4metre mark(No Excise benefits).

But it would be a world class car and will have the German'ness in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
I didn't know VW Golf was selling in India? Nor has any plan been announced for its arrival.
It is not sold currently in India.

Quote:
For your requirements, looks like you can stretch your budget to the Civic range.
This is not a comparo between the Civic and Golf. This thread is about the feasibility of the Golf in the Indian market.

Quote:
If you can extend a little further you may be able to buy the Beetle. You haven't mentioned any specific about your space requirements?
The Bettle and the Golf are produced by VW. Their similarities end there. One is an iconic car and the other is a practical family hatch.

Quote:
Also this thread must be hosted in the "what car" forum, not here.
This thread is meant for the Indian Car Scene .
Old 7th November 2010, 18:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes the Golf is purely an enthusiast car. It can sell for its iconic and brand image only here in India. The mass market will not be so interested though.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:10   #9
BHPian

At present I don't think there is any market for a car like Golf, the Indian market is not mature enough for expensive hatches yet and the Golf will definitely be crossing the 10Lac mark. But,maybe the Golf GTi can be brought in limited numbers to satisfy the enthusiasts.
Old 7th November 2010, 20:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

GTi for enthusiasts will be an excellent idea. And if sales are around the same as the Jazz i.e. 200-ish per month, I guess it will be viable to assemble in India?

I'd buy it even if they get the Mk2 GTi 16v (which went out of production in 1992) - 140hp in a car that weighed in at 900kg anyone? Even today rated as one of the finest handling hot hatches ...
Old 7th November 2010, 20:13   #11
BHPian

As the Jetta is a booted version for golf so VW can slot it between vento and jetta.The new Jetta has been promised to be less costly 12-13 lakhs starting.And once people have felt how the Golf drives and handles like a d class sedan they will not sit in c class sedan.that is the key to succes of Golf elsewere.I think the market will mature in 1-2 years to this buy the time i will be planing to upgrade from my verna.
Hope VW people are also following this thread and we can get them into escalating their future plans for GOLF.As someone said without golf VW model lineup is never complete.
Old 7th November 2010, 21:34   #12
BHPian

blah!

The biggest problem here is the research that's being gathered and fed into the respective parent company - I call it MBA Irony - where junior Indian MBA guys feed Senior Intl. MBA guys with incomplete, substandard research

These are the same guys who said the Toyota Fortuner would never sell in large numbers, the same guys who helped price the Skoda Fabia 2 lacs more than it was worth (prior to the recent refreshing), priced the Toyota Prius at 36 lakhs and probably the same breed who think that a large hatchback based on the upcoming Jetta platform will not sell.

I disagree.

I believe that a spacious, well built hatchback can sell in very reasonable numbers if the pricing undercuts the respective saloon by a lac or two. Case in point - the current VW Jetta sells for 15 lacs OTR. A Golf priced at around 13 lakhs OTR would definately be an attractive proposition without damaging the prestige element of the saloon and yet, drawing customers from cheaper competition.
Old 8th November 2010, 00:40   #13
BHPian

why are you not considering Fiat 500 unless you want 4 door hatch.
Old 8th November 2010, 00:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
GTi for enthusiasts will be an excellent idea. And if sales are around the same as the Jazz i.e. 200-ish per month, I guess it will be viable to assemble in India?

I'd buy it even if they get the Mk2 GTi 16v (which went out of production in 1992) - 140hp in a car that weighed in at 900kg anyone? Even today rated as one of the finest handling hot hatches ...
Golf GTi is 'Made in Germany' only, its not made or assembled outside germany.
Old 8th November 2010, 02:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally think that the Golf might have a chance in urban cities provided it is launched at around 12L tops!
Personally, I would buy one simply for its combination of looks, space, performance, and quality. As a present user of a fiesta, which is perfect for city and outstation trips, a replacement is tough to find, and if the Golf was available with a powerful diesel engine and an A/T gearbox, it would be the next upgrade no doubt, just for the added practicality it offers in the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks