Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2005, 17:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Quality of Indian cars on the rise

2005 JD Power Initial Quality Survey results

http://www.jdpower.co.jp/press/pdf20...IndiaIQS_E.pdf

J.D. Power Asia Pacific Reports:
Initial Vehicle Quality Improves Significantly in India
Maruti Alto, Maruti Esteem, Honda City, Skoda Octavia and Toyota Innova Rank Highest in Initial Quality in Their Respective Segments

SINGAPORE: 13 December 2005 — The initial quality of new vehicles in India has improved considerably, according to the J.D. Power Asia Pacific 2005 India Initial Quality StudySM (IQS) released today. Overall initial quality for the industry averages 143 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100)—an improvement of 49 PP100 from 2004.
The study, now in its ninth year, focuses on 135 problem symptoms affecting vehicle quality across nine IQS problem categories: ride, handling and braking; features and controls; seats; heating, ventilation and cooling
(HVAC); sound system; vehicle exterior; vehicle interior; transmission; and engine.
“The number of problems reported by customers has dropped in all categories comprising the IQS compared to 2004, with eight out of 12 nameplates showing improvements,” said Mohit Arora, India director at J.D. Power Asia Pacific. “This is genuinely a positive sign for both manufacturers and new-vehicle buyers.”
Maruti Alto ranks highest in the reclassified compact car segment with 93 PP100, followed by two other Maruti models, the Zen and Wagon R, respectively. The compact car segment registers strong initial quality
improvements from 2004, with the greatest improvement in the industry for the Maruti Wagon R (improving 117 PP100).
Another Maruti offering, the Esteem, ranks highest in the entry midsize car segment for the third consecutive year at 144 PP100. The Esteem is followed in the segment ranking by the Opel Corsa/Swing and Ford Ikon,
respectively.
All models in the midsize car segment have improved since 2004. Honda City ranks highest at 72 PP100, followed by the Hyundai Accent and Maruti Baleno, respectively.
With an improvement in eight of the nine IQS categories, the Skoda Octavia (111 PP100) ranks highest in the premium midsize segment for the first time in the study. The Octavia is followed in the segment rankings by
the Chevrolet Optra and Toyota Corolla, respectively.
A new MPV segment has been created in the study to accommodate the introduction of new vehicle designs. MPVs, together with MUVs, SUVs and vans now comprise the new utility vehicle super-segment. Toyota
Innova (126 PP100) ranks highest in the utility vehicle super segment, followed by the Maruti Omni and Chevrolet Tavera, respectively.
The study also finds that on average, customers report fewer problems with newly launched models such as Maruti Swift and Hyundai Getz, compared to models already on the market.
“Manufacturers today understand the necessity of getting things right the first time in the Indian market,” commented Arora. “Our research shows that problems experienced in the first few months of ownership play a vital role in overall customer satisfaction and whether customers intend to repurchase from the brand again.
Old 13th December 2005, 18:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
2005 JD Power Initial Quality Survey results

http://www.jdpower.co.jp/press/pdf20...IndiaIQS_E.pdf

J.D. Power Asia Pacific Reports:
Initial Vehicle Quality Improves Significantly in India
Maruti Alto, Maruti Esteem, Honda City, Skoda Octavia and Toyota Innova Rank Highest in Initial Quality in Their Respective Segments
Hmm... A few notable things here. One of the leading lights in a good few segments is Maruti. Admirable, but the fact is that with their models being around since ages they have had ample time to improve upon them. In fact it is expected of them.

Its the new model launches which are of interest. In this respect Toyota Innova topping the list is commendable. Unfortunately our own home grown behemoths like the Tata's and Mahindra's are not able to improve much in this aspect even though they are now in the market (and more or less the same models!?!!) for a long time.
Old 13th December 2005, 19:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Average indian user's awareness has increased at lightning pace that has led to manufacturers to introduce quality cars here in india,even car makers like maruti are paying attention to detail these days.

But increased awareness has led to one more problem,raised expectations that might worsen the scores in surveys like JD Quality.But its the end customer that is the winner.
Old 13th December 2005, 19:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

The quality has surely increased. Back in 2002 or 2003, the Old City had 135 PP100 cars (which interestingly, was the lowest problem rate that year) but today, that figure has reduced to 72 PP100 cars, for the NHC (which i think is the lowest this year).

Shan2nu
Old 14th December 2005, 10:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Toyota's performace has been pretty pathetic. It's obvious they are not giving Indian's the same quality that they give abroad. I am not impressed with the Innova winning the MPV category. Look at the competition it had! Omni, Tavera, Mahindra and Mahindra? It was always going to be a cakewalk for them but 126PP100 vehicles is really bad. And look at the mighty Corolla. It's below the industry average at 160PP100 vehicles!! The Corolla was beaten hollow by the "lowly" Daewoo-GM Optra. And all this gets magnified when you look at Honda's stellar showing with the City at 72PP100 vehicles. Even the Accent is better in IQS then the Corolla. Surprising no-one here "noticed" Toyota's performace. And yea, I know, "Toyota will be studying these results seriously and will hit back with a vengenance" response. But the bottom line is that Toyota are taking Indians for granted. At least thats what their showing this year shows.

Last edited by amit : 14th December 2005 at 10:19.
Old 14th December 2005, 10:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Toyota's performace has been pretty pathetic. It's obvious they are not giving Indian's the same quality that they give abroad.
this point has been raised again and again. but I feel that it's not the manufacturers, but the taxing scheme in india that's responsible for it.

I don't think they have any enemity with us indian. but if they want to provide same quality as they do abroad, they will lose the customers, owing to high prices.
Old 14th December 2005, 10:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this point has been raised again and again. but I feel that it's not the manufacturers
Why then is this magnimity not given to Ford, GM, Fiat, TATA etc etc? If a ford or GM car gives problems its the fault of the manufacturers but when a Toyota slips, we find ways and means to defend them!

Quote:
if they want to provide same quality as they do abroad, they will lose the customers, owing to high prices.
Ok I agree. Why does this theory not apply to Honda for example? Their cars as good in quality as their ones abroad. What about Optra that has taken the Corolla to the cleaners with it's IQS score? Obviously then, Ford, GM, Fiat , tata also cut costs to keep their customers and hence any problems in their cars should also be pardonable.

After Toyota's show this year, I would like to ask one question : Why should I buy a Toyota if it's going to give me almost as many problems as Ford, GM, Fiat or Mitsubishi? The only reason Toyota sells is because of reliablity. Take that away from their cars and what do their cars have? They are boring to look at. You wouldn't give your corolla or Innova a second look after a long day's drive, the build quality is not as good as competition, suspension i.e. Ride and handling is all mixed up, the car is no fun to drive. I mean if a Toyota is going to have as many PP100 vehicles as a Fiat Petra or a Ford Ikon, I might as well buy a Petra. At least i will have lots of fun driving the car and it will still make heads turn 10 years from now. And please don't give me the "Fiat will not survive for another 10 years but Toyota will" explanation to justify buying a Toyota. I am talking about now and today.

Last edited by amit : 14th December 2005 at 10:48.
Old 14th December 2005, 10:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

This price argument falls flat when you look at maruti. They can give us quality cars without charging exhorbiant prices. As for toyota, the innova is cheaper to produce than the qualis but is sold for a higher price.
Old 14th December 2005, 11:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

well,

first of all, I was not defending toyota or anybody else

I was only referring to the complaint comparing an indian vehicle and it's counterpart abroad. not within india who is performing well and who is not.

may be you can see that TATA and fiat don't fit in that framework at all.
Old 14th December 2005, 13:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

well, you all probably have a point when you say that Toyota has an worlwide image which maps one-to-one with quality. So in that respect their showing here is not stellar. However they have just about launched (compared to others) and maybe, just maybe, they can get a little ground there. Anyway at that price bracket they can not survive solely on their aura. If they do not deliver they will anyhow fail in the market.

However there are others who have been here and making vehicles for 'oh-so-long'... and yet come at the bottom of the quality list. What about them? They are the ones who are probably taking the customers for granted. Maybe because they do not have a straight competetion in their segment or else they have a huge price advantage. But that does not give them the right to keep chugging at the same pace year after year. They are the ones with whom we should be sore.

Most Viewed