Team-BHP - Online petition for Government
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Online petition for Government (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/92001-online-petition-government.html)

I wanted to do this from a long time to start with a online petition to our Indian Government to remove all taxes on Airbag and ABS so that they may be cheaper and more affordable. Please put your names and suggestions to the same

To Mods: please move the thread if inappropriate here, infact i wanted to have a thread where people would come and put their names so that we may have attention of officials on this. I also wanted if guest/non members could also put their names in petition, I don't know if this could be possible, so please modify the thread if required

So let me be the first

Request to Indian Government to remove all duties on parts and components on Airbag and ABS so that indian people may have a safer modes of transport.

Dr Shivendra Nath Tripathi

I agree, but do we need to put down our real names?
Also I was thinking, what about some rule where it is compulsory for manufacturers to put Airbags and ABS in cars that cost more than 4 or 5 lakh? The details would obviously have to be hammered out, but I'm hoping it would stop manufacturers from offering safety features in only top end models (looking at you Maruti) and thus forcing you to buy a lot of stuff you don't need such as ICE and Climate Control etc.

I don't think removing duties on these 2 things will help people get 'safe' cars as the final decision whether to make airbags and ABS mandatory will remain in manufacturers hand!! Instead govt. should bring in a car assessment program, something like EuroNCAP so that every car will have to clear safety assessment in order to go on sale.

I feel that Auto companies are lobbying with the govt so that they dont make safety systems mandatory. They can continue to sell them as luxury items.

Sad scene. Hope our cars get safer some day and we dont have to pay through the nose for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 2137180)
I feel that Auto companies are lobbying with the govt so that they dont make safety systems mandatory.

+1. So that they can re-badge outdated cars in some country and sell them as 'all new product' here and make huge profits.

@drsnt

While I applaud your intentions, simply making airbag and ABS components cheaper alone will not solve the safety concerns on Indian cars.

The biggest issue is structural rigidity of most of our cars. The most important and primary safety device is the chasis, i.e. the passenger cell and its surrounding crumple zones. The way it works is simple, the crumple zones absorb the impact and the passenger cell ensures that the interior cabin is not deformed by the energy.

You are a lot safer in an Indica rather than a 800 with airbags.

chinese companies have mastered the knack of making cars that look good on paper (airbags, abs, noodle holders etc.) but are a real disaster in real life. But their R&D departments have progressed with designs in such a way that in the scenario of an accident the passengers never live to tell the tale.

YouTube - Chinese Test Car Crash

For safer cars the Govt. must introduce stringent crash tests. But there are still pockets of the Auto industry who are scared that their cars will fail such a regulation and therefore dent profits.

@Drsnt - If you're really interested in doing this, why not file a PIL instead of opening a thread & take the signature from public?

My point - Even if you file a PIL, the Govt will be least bothered about the source of include how does it matter when you open a thread here? They'll almost never be bothered.

PS - Do not worry about these taxes for now, the Govt will eventually remove those taxes in the forth coming years.

i totally agree on tax freeing the safety features.

also manufacturers should offer the safety features on basic versions too.

Quote:

we are going to buy xylo d2 for good FE & low price but if we want abs i would have to buy top end one. why?:Frustrati:Frustrati
Nikhil

The intent is definitely praiseworthy, but will the govt. really bother?
I think not. They are least bothered about some one lakh fifty thousand odd crores lost in the 2G scam, not to mention about other scams. Where will they be bothered about such petitions? Besides, when did our lawmakers ever bother about lives of aam janata?.
When will we have good road infrastructure? When will our Janata(all varieties) respect traffic rules?
There simply is very little value for life in India.

I dont think it is the tax and the cost that stops people from buying these. It think it is basic mentality of the people who think "We dont need it" that stops people from paying extra for it.

Do you folks think side airbags should be mandatory as well? :)

(This might make most cars out of reach of middle class India)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 2137327)
It think it is basic mentality of the people who think "We dont need it" that stops people from paying extra for it.

yes you are 100% right.
but manufactures also have to offer the safety features on basic models also.

as i said earlier we are buying xylo d2 but if i wanted ABS & AIR BAGS i would have to pay premium version E8.

D2 BS III 655500
E4 BS III 718300
E6 BS III 772000
E8 BS III 823000
E8 ABS BS III 841000
E8-ABS-AIR BAG BS III 861500:Frustrati

hats off to TATA that they offered ABS mandatory in aria. (its pricey but a good start in Indian auto industry)

Like with everything else India has always been slow on the uptake.The same is true for airbags and ABS.
Slowly but sure more and more consumers are putting down their money for these safety products,just as more and more car companies are offering them in lower spec models.

Think automatic transmissions,where were we 10 yrs back?Now a auto is a de riguer feature in not only mercs but in d,b segment too.

So not too worry,give it a few more years soon the ABS and airbags will be as common as ACC is now.A strong way of convincing consumers is word of mouth as to how effective these safety feautures are,and many are hearing stories from their friends/family of near escapes.

This is going to drive up public awareness,and as soon as the market starts demanding it,the companies will fall over each other to provide it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 2137327)
I dont think it is the tax and the cost that stops people from buying these. It think it is basic mentality of the people who think "We dont need it" that stops people from paying extra for it.

agree: If rules permitted it most people would even buy a car without seatbelts if it were available for a couple of grand less. When Premier first introduced cars with seatbelts in 1990, the general reaction was 'what a waste of money all these stupid westernized features'.

Thankx everyone for suggestions, What i wanted to do here was start a campaign for government to wake up and make these equipments cheaper.
We might be very small in beginning but i think every tree grows from a small seed only. We might have strong following in coming time.
I also believe that reducing the cost of these equipments will make a huge difference in the cost of B segment cars as their cost is high in proportion to the car.
Having cheaper safety equipments will also encourage many people to opt for them who might not go in for it at present cost.

The best part or I should say dream come true will be that government subsidize vehicle fitter with Airbag/ABS as it does for engine displacement and length.

It would take a lot of work or unfortunately loss of many dear ones before people begin to realize importance of these equipments in their cars.

I also believe that India should have mandatory crash testing for all vehicles produced in india, I think that I read it few month back that ARAI is coming up with new facility with crash testing also. Can anyone confirm?

And yes please do sign petition as however small we may be at the moment, but we are definitely being read/ observed by manufacturers and never know if someone takes it higher up:)