Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 21:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

i20 catches fire!!!

Just when i20 was in the news for the good reasons and people were just praising Hyundai's talent this happens. An i20 (makes me cry. I am a die hard fan of this hot hatch) catches fire on Gariahat flyover in Kolkata. It happened today at around 4 P.M. Is it something to think about or should we just let pass like another technical glitch ?
Dont miss 00:27 secs.

Heres the video.

Last edited by Pancham : 13th November 2010 at 21:11.
Old 13th November 2010, 21:19   #2
BHPian

That was really horrible and there is a mild explosion at 00:27. I was under the impression that it was one of the safest car in India.
Old 13th November 2010, 21:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

We cannot jump into conclusions now as if the car is safe or not as we do not know what all mods this i20 has been incorporated. Even if there're no mods, there're quite chances of electrical faults with ICE.
Old 13th November 2010, 21:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I second Aargee it could be one off incident, we cant come to conclusion that it tarnish brand image of i20 or its not a safe car, even sometime back a Merc caught fire somewhere....
Old 13th November 2010, 21:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We cannot jump into conclusions now as if the car is safe or not as we do not know what all mods this i20 has been incorporated. Even if there're no mods, there're quite chances of electrical faults with ICE.
+1 to aargee.

Its too early to conclude anything.Having said that, it surely is a jolt to the i20 image. Is there a press report on this?
Old 13th November 2010, 21:56   #6
BHPian

Its written on the youtube as a tire burst. Could happen to any car.

Quote:
An i20 car got fire in gariahat bridge on 13th nov.2010round 4 p.m
The fire caught by a tire burst and damage the car.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

It is news only if the car catching fire is a Rs 1 lac Nano. ( Low price is associated with poor quality and compromises) . An I 20 or City/ Scorpio is just a "one off incident"
Old 13th November 2010, 22:01   #8
BANNED

Hyundai's might have taken Indian customers for granted.

What a shame, Horrible to say.

Tire burst cannot burn down a car completely.

Quality control at question here.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:11   #9
BHPian

Think it'd be premature to offer views on this before confirming if the i20 was entirely stock. Any engine job or even tampering with the electricals or ICE runs the risk of sparking, right?
Old 13th November 2010, 22:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

where are all the guys who lambasted Nano for catching fire?
Old 13th November 2010, 22:32   #11
MAS
Senior - BHPian

That is a bad news. I hope it is really a one-off incident. Very sad to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hyundai's might have taken Indian customers for granted.

What a shame, Horrible to say.

Tire burst cannot burn down a car completely.

Quality control at question here.
At 00:27 in the Video, the fire caused the tire burst and not vice versa.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:35   #12

Im really sick of this nonsensical car bashing just because a car catches Fire. There are a million reasons a car can catch fire and almost all of those are because people DO NOT ADHERE TO THE GUIDELINES THAT A MANUFACTURERS SET. And this includes most of you guys too. So get a life!
Old 13th November 2010, 22:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im really sick of this nonsensical car bashing just because a car catches Fire. There are a million reasons a car can catch fire and almost all of those are because people DO NOT ADHERE TO THE GUIDELINES THAT A MANUFACTURERS SET. And this includes most of you guys too. So get a life!
I completely agree Cyrus. The same thing happened with the Nano also , 4 cars catch fire in the over 50 thousand delivered and we start calling the product a failure. i personally have seen burnt out Honda city"s (OHC) cielos, astras and the odd ikon also, almost all of them had some mod done to the electrical system , i was once advised by a service advisor during regular service of my car that the ICE installer had cut up unnecessary wires for the installation , i just shrugged it off with a chalta hai attitude , if god forbids something happens we will only blame the manufacturer not our own foolishness.

Last edited by wbd8779 : 13th November 2010 at 22:48.
Old 13th November 2010, 23:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

We cannot jump to conclusions right now. In case of Nano, one Nano caught fire when the car was being transported from one place to another by a Tata employee or dealer employee in Gujarat, the customer was not even in picture. So there was something really wrong. The customer was yet to receive the car but still the car caught fire means something was wrong.

Tata did replace fuel lines in ACI long term Nano.

In this case, jumping to conclusion is not good. I have seen many times electrical fitments being made so badly that they can lead to serious incidences. Specially those lights and all. The quality of that job matters very much. We dont know if the owner had visited any shop for any after market fitment.

Its too early to comment.
Old 13th November 2010, 23:40   #15
BHPian

Would it be fair to presume that all cars from all brands have caught fire for one reason or another, it becomes an issue if its part of a trend and investigation by relevant authorities reveal a defect.

Till then supposing a one off accident is someone reflective of the quality of the car is highly irresponsible. To those jumping to these conclusions how many i20s have caught fire, is it part of a larger trend, have there been news items on this, are any authorities investigating?

So in the interest of fairness and well informed debate that this forum stands for we should not jump to conclusions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks