Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 14:47   #151
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
@ACM: I agree that Aria seats +2 (less than 5.5") comfortably. But the comfort am talking here about is what the Xylo offers for the last benchers. No doubt Aria is a great vehicle, but would have made more sense if it had to offer Xylo like comfort for the last benchers.
Xylo has zero luggage space after the last bench. Aria has decent space for 7 passengers and luggage. Aria is good vehicle but certainly over priced across all variants by atleast 2 Lakhs I trust Melin facelifted safari comes with front facing last bench and priced sensibly with revamped interiors

Last edited by harimakesh : 18th January 2011 at 14:48.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:42   #152
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
@ACM: . No doubt Aria is a great vehicle, but would have made more sense if it had to offer Xylo like comfort for the last benchers.
No SUV / Crossover can get you a the comfort that a Pure MUV can, not even the huge Merc GL rear seats can beat the Xylo and it just about matched the Innova which in turn is better than the fortuner. The Aria may looks in shape terms close to the innova but then it is also close to the Merc R-Class or the Q5 if looked at purely from the shape perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Xylo has zero luggage space after the last bench. Aria has decent space for 7 passengers and luggage. Aria is good vehicle but certainly over priced across all variants by atleast 2 Lakhs I trust Melin facelifted safari comes with front facing last bench and priced sensibly with revamped interiors
Merlin even with front facing seats for the rear bench will mean a compromise on the third row seats, it just cannot pack a wheel below the rear, put in a fuel tank, retain the current height and give comfortable seats that match the Xylo / Innova standards with four wheel drive thrown in. The Huge wheels have to fit in somewhere. In that sense if they were able to get better sized third row seats they would have done it with the Aria itself, merlin will not offer that opportunity.

VFM and overpricing is relative, I test drove a fortuner just an hr before the Aria with my wife and we both simply felt that the fortuner is overpriced for what it is on the inside and simply loved the Aria for what it offered both inside, under and outside. Even if the fortuner would have costed 4 L less I would have selected the Aria between the two for the purpose that I wanted the car to serve. It's the fact that the Aria is in some ways shaped close to the innova that it invites comparisions, but both serve entirely different target audiences, I would never buy an Innova, Xylo or Scorpio for my application which is better served by the Safari and now by the Aria, where as those who select those vehicles would be well adviced to not consider the Aria as it would not match their expectations of 3rd row comfort. Infact I travel most of the time with the third row folded down full flat - except when taking my office team out for a lunch treat on occations. I believe the Captiva too addresses a similar audience which wants a 4X4 but will never do true off roading, wants a 7 seater but not one that makes the vehicle a van.

It's all so relative to ones expectations, the brand premium that we give toyota in India would not be given in other countries around the world, and each car that is not from the German premium car segment needs to deliver better on the feature and safety count and commands just the price it's worth on those parameters.

Back to the Merlin, I believe it will be a great vehicle, but pls lets not expect it to be much different from the safari in terms of the target audience it serves, It will not match the Xylo, Grande, Innova or the Scorpio in terms of third row comfort but will make for a great 5+2kids lifestyle suv.
Old 18th January 2011, 23:25   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Xylo has zero luggage space after the last bench. Aria has decent space for 7 passengers and luggage.
Considering the length as constant, You have to compromise on some thing, Either 3rd row leg space or Luggage space ( unless go for a movable 3rd row, which has its own design challenges ), I am sure based on customer feedback/clinic/survey from the target customers, TM might have decided to go with more luggage space, as majority may need that way. I personally prefer more luggage space than leg space. Considering Aria is not meant for Taxi segment, it is very unlikely that all the 7 passengers are 6'2'' all the time.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:38   #154
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
What logo is on the Steering wheel? i dont see TATA logo there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
The LOGO on the Steering wheel is not TATA logo.
Tata could have intentionally placed a dummy logo there to mislead the casual observer.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:25   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tata could have intentionally placed a dummy logo there to mislead the casual observer.
yeah. can be. it is more like a logo of Chinese car company.
Old 20th January 2011, 17:39   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It could also be the Force Motors SUV -- they also run with MH-12 badgings and are a frequent sight near their factory premises.
Old 20th January 2011, 18:03   #157
Team-BHP Support

Logo or no logo, its a Safari all right. The dials are very similar., esp fuel guage, and ditto for the dash. On the left side in front of passenger there is this "dip" for storing stuff.
Old 20th January 2011, 19:03   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Safari all right

Yes, it is the Safari - the instrument cluster is a dead giveaway.

Btw, any one make out the tail lights ? they're from the Sumo Victa
Old 25th January 2011, 05:04   #159
BHPian

Re: Safari all right

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, it is the Safari - the instrument cluster is a dead giveaway.

Btw, any one make out the tail lights ? they're from the Sumo Victa
I know it wont be surprising if they (taillights) are indeed off the Sumo Victa - But I highly doubt they are in this case.

It would just be awful if you turn out the be right.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:50   #160
Senior - BHPian

something is surely brewing at Tata Motors w.r.t the Safari. all of a sudeen, there is aflurry of Safari Ads in the print as well as electronic media, after a hiatus of about 6 months. maybe, they want to create more visibility and clear existing stocks over the next couple of months before launching the Merlin.
Old 25th January 2011, 13:28   #161
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

himanshugoswami, I noticed the same. Suddenly the Safari campaign has intensified, the manza and visa 90 ones are also on in a big way, infact the Aria campaign is taking a back seat right now.
Old 25th January 2011, 13:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

^^

Also old Sumo Victa and nano ads.
Old 25th January 2011, 13:55   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also old Sumo Victa and nano ads.
Quote:
Suddenly the Safari campaign has intensified, the manza and visa 90 ones are also on in a big way, infact the Aria campaign is taking a back seat right now.
Yes, someone's suddenly woken up at Tata Motors. Right now, all their models re being advertised, and that includes the Grande too.

Hail the competition!
Old 25th January 2011, 14:53   #164
An1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Yes, someone's suddenly woken up at Tata Motors. Right now, all their models re being advertised, and that includes the Grande too.

Hail the competition!
Especially the ads for Safari have intensified for the past few days.. On AXN, there was the Safari ad every 15 mins during a show this week.

Maybe they're trying to push the current stock of Safari before the launch of Merlin a couple of months from now.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:17   #165
BHPian

Clear interior pictures of Tata Safari Merlin will be nice to see. TATA has good grip as not much has been leaked out on the new interiors. I Hopt TATA doesnot play spoil sport with the name.

TATA has weird congnizance on their supposedly unpopular / wornout old brand names as in the past TATA had attached Indica with Vista, Indigo with Manza as both were all new models.

Now TATAs brand Safari seemingly popular and has a good brand value but strangely TATA is giving a weird brand name Merlin.

TATA learns correctly and Name the revised Safari model correctly and price it fairly giving Defogger, Engine Immobilizer and ABS as standard on base models and Airbags as options.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed