Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 14:28   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

@Lordofgondor, if the changes are mainly in the looks; and if you prefer the current looks, then you may as well buy the current one & start enjoying it.

But if changes were only cosmetic, then what is TML testing so long ?
Old 13th April 2011, 16:44   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Lordofgondor, if the changes are mainly in the looks; and if you prefer the current looks, then you may as well buy the current one & start enjoying it.

But if changes were only cosmetic, then what is TML testing so long ?
That's exactly the dilemma mate! And for clearing it, I'm hoping someone would shed light on what's really happening for Merlin. Some sources mention dual mass flywheel and some say it won't be there. Same for other things.

A perfect recipe for Catch-22.

OT: Watched the movie "Three days of the Condor" last night.
Old 13th April 2011, 16:59   #228
BHPian

Guys, I had been to a feedback session organised by TML plant people [primarily, meant for Safari customers] where I was shared the following, but no commitments [as expected].

1 - "Merlin" is NOT the end product name. Its only a project code name.
2 - "Merlin" should be up for sales in June 2011.
3 - "Merlin" does not have front facing 3rd row seats. Same 2 jump seats like existing one's.
4 - Same 2.2 DICOR engine [not sure of the gear box], but tuned up to reach 150 bhp. Current Safari is 140 bhp.
5 - Interior refresh - not same as ARIA, but closer to that in terms of interior features.
6 - 2 variants - 4X2 & 4X4 variants.
7 - 17" Alloys
8 - Engine damping, sound proof cabin, Wind cutting noise - All taken care it seems. These are the concerns that current Safari has [Everyone knows].
9 - Of course, the tail gate mounted spare wheel goes under the body to get rid of door rattling issue.
10 - Tail gate will continue to be horizontal opening one like the existing one. NOT an hatch style [Innova].

Thats all I remember for now.

Prem.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:52   #229
Senior - BHPian

Received following update from my source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Guys, I had been to a feedback session organised by TML plant people [primarily, meant for Safari customers] where I was shared the following, but no commitments [as expected].

1 - "Merlin" is NOT the end product name. Its only a project code name. - Correct, Safari based on X2 platform, looks are good
2 - "Merlin" should be up for sales in June 2011. Planned Timeline, lets see what's the actual one
3 - "Merlin" does not have front facing 3rd row seats. Same 2 jump seats like existing one's. Correct
4 - Same 2.2 DICOR engine [not sure of the gear box], but tuned up to reach 150 bhp. Current Safari is 140 bhp. No confirmation on engine power improvement; Confirmed new MarkII gearbox & Dual Mass Flywheel
5 - Interior refresh - not same as ARIA, but closer to that in terms of interior features. Correct
6 - 2 variants - 4X2 & 4X4 variants. Not correct. Domestic Market 3 variants : 4x2 & 4x4 for each; separate variants for export
7 - 17" Alloys Only for export market, 16" Alloy & steel for domestic
8 - Engine damping, sound proof cabin, Wind cutting noise - All taken care it seems. These are the concerns that current Safari has [Everyone knows]. Lot of work has gone into these issues, lets wait for the final results
9 - Of course, the tail gate mounted spare wheel goes under the body to get rid of door rattling issue. Correct
10 - Tail gate will continue to be horizontal opening one like the existing one. NOT an hatch style [Innova]. Correct
IMO worth a wait for Safari fans.
Old 14th April 2011, 00:55   #230
Senior - BHPian

So does it mean they will retain the 'Safari' brand name? I think they should. It has such a huge recall value!
BTW, will the current Safari be phased out?
Old 14th April 2011, 02:34   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

All things well, hope that the new Safari has Aria like quality even if at the expense of Aria like features,not that Aria like feature is unwelcome, still. Quality should be at Aria level or more.
Old 14th April 2011, 02:35   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
9 - Of course, the tail gate mounted spare wheel goes under the body to get rid of door rattling issue.

Prem.
I wish they make the rear end look appealing, but nothing to replace the look of spear wheel at the back. I wish they had kept it.
Old 14th April 2011, 02:46   #233
BHPian

@kaviprem - Thanks, that's the first concrete news we have heard from the horse's mouth.

Anyways IMO it seems to be too little too late. The 8.5 - 12 Lakh SUV space, will not be altered too much by this, assuming TML do not jack up the prices for the refresh.

Does the 2.2 Dicor engine come with dual mass fly wheel? I hope it does.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:53   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Does the 2.2 Dicor engine come with dual mass fly wheel? I hope it does.
Seems to be yes, reading from @Abhibh's post.

@abhibh:Can you ask your source in terms of front end styling changes please? Some folks have said that the front end is no longer as a good looking as the current gen safari (though these comments are subjective, us being birds of same feather, it should be worrisome for most).

BH.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:57   #235
Senior - BHPian

When Autocar UK did a write up on the Aria, it did mention that the main reason the 2.2 dicor is limited to 140ps is because the existing gearbox wont take anymore power. Perhaps this new mark II gearbox means the 2.2 will be chipped for more power!!
Old 14th April 2011, 15:23   #236
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Gshanky / Shortbread

DMF - Dual Mass flywheel and Mark II Gear box already present on the current Aria does not seem to imply any increase in the power and it should I guess remain at about 140 Bhp.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:28   #237
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Merlin from a TML ARC insider:

The Merlin is absolutely ready- TML is ready to roll it out. they are only working on the pricing strategy.

on the vehicle itself, it is at least a generation ahead of the Safari in driving dynamics. There has been significant weight reduction without in any way compromising on the robustness of the body or chasis. The SUV is a hoot to drive and will set new benchmarks in its class- according to him, the only reason people will buy a Fortuner after this will be for Toyota brand- as a vehicle, the Merlin (not the final launch name) is more than a match for the Fortuner.

The launch will happen anytime after May (he is in prod development so does not have too much insight into lauch timings)
Old 19th April 2011, 12:39   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Update on the Merlin from a TML ARC insider:

on the vehicle itself, it is at least a generation ahead of the Safari in driving dynamics.The SUV is a hoot to drive and will set new benchmarks in its class
The launch will happen anytime after May (he is in prod development so does not have too much insight into lauch timings)
Great news!!
This should except from TML after the ARIA lunch. The SUV market is quite mature now in India. Anything wrong ,you will out of the competition.

I assume the QC of TML should improve and they resume all major issue with current safari. Those errors should not repeated in MERLIN.

Hope for the Best (Finger crossed)

EDIT:- Ohh!! Its my 300th post on TBHP.

Last edited by KALINGA : 19th April 2011 at 12:41.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:46   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Received following update from my source.

IMO worth a wait for Safari fans.
So are you saying the new safari will have 4x4 available on all 3 variants.
Currently only VX model has 4x4 available.
If its true, then indeed its wonderful news, as after 1 lakh kms, I can replace my EX 4x4 with a LX 4x4 and save money!
Old 19th April 2011, 12:47   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh,good news so we can see the new Safari next month.
Driving dynamics okay, but what did the insider say about the interior quality? @himanshugoswami.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks