Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 13:08   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, I am planning to buy a Safari. Any idea if its worth waiting for a price cut in the old model once the new Safari is launched? Honda has already comeup with price cuts for City. If you could use your contacts and give a hint or PM I would be very greatful to you
On the contrary, the prices have gone up. Refer to my post here
Old 15th June 2011, 14:10   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Any idea if its worth waiting for a price cut in the old model once the new Safari is launched? Honda has already comeup with price cuts for City.
Two points.

1. Please dont expect any discounts because Merlin will be launched. The talks on this thread shows Merlin will be rated higher than current Safari.

2. Sure you want to plonk your money only in the current Safari? Merlin is expected come as a clean car with un-usual Safari niggles as per insider talks.

If you strictly want to buy only the current Safari, then I dont see a point why you should wait till the new launch. On the other hand, if you can wait till the Merlin launch, I suggest you wait and take a look at the new one and then decide on the new car.

And on the price cuts of City, the model was suffering from sales for the last 3 months and hence the price cuts. However Safari is maintaining its numbers almost steadily around 2000 units.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th June 2011 at 14:12.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 15:20   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Two points.

1. Please dont expect any discounts because Merlin will be launched. The talks on this thread shows Merlin will be rated higher than current Safari.

2. Sure you want to plonk your money only in the current Safari? Merlin is expected come as a clean car with un-usual Safari niggles as per insider talks.
Totally agree with the first point, tried my level best to get a decent discount while ordering current Safari VX and the dealer(s) didn't budge at all.

Not so sure about the second point though. Reason being that all new launches of TML have been crippled with issues. Though things have changed a lot in recent years (Manza/Aria) but still I'm always dicey about newly launched TML products. On the other hand, the current Safari is tried and tested (we know what/where the problem areas are ).

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
On the contrary, the prices have gone up..
The prices in NCR have been the same for the last few months and the same goes for 4x4 being available only in VX trim.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 15th June 2011 at 15:22.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:38   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
but still I'm always dicey about newly launched TML products.
You are so right on this - Its the individual's "dicey" thought about TML products, but assuming that everything from European and Japan are so good to 100%

I am not blaming you for this. But, we [Indians] need to be more open minded and BELIEVE that TML will get a good, quality product to us.

Prem.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:56   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Not so sure about the second point though. Reason being that all new launches of TML have been crippled with issues.
Again as per some of the insider scoops, the TATA management has instructed that the Merlin should be launched with 0 defects! If this is true, we can see a brighter future for TATA. And I would love to see it happening. To be frank, once the Merlin is launched, I hope to see similar steps being taken towards the current Safari as I love that more. A completely niggle free current Safari will be so sweet to own!
Old 15th June 2011, 21:24   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Again as per some of the insider scoops, the TATA management has instructed that the Merlin should be launched with 0 defects!
Are they then not planning to launch it at all?

Quote:
If this is true, we can see a brighter future for TATA. And I would love to see it happening. To be frank, once the Merlin is launched, I hope to see similar steps being taken towards the current Safari as I love that more. A completely niggle free current Safari will be so sweet to own!
They still have not managed that in 13 years. But nothing wrong in being optimistic. And I sincerely hope that Tata keeps improving their vehicles now that they have the know-how to do it.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:06   #382
BHPian

Thank you for the quick responses. I know waiting makes more sense and have more or less decided to curb my desire to drive the beast immediately (will have to stop reading any travelogue/ownership thread related to Safari . But I am not sure if I will be able to afford the Merlin as my budget was just enough for Safari LX. Anyway hope I'll have to wait only till Sep.

Rgds
VW
Old 16th June 2011, 05:45   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
You are so right on this - Its the individual's "dicey" thought about TML products, but assuming that everything from European and Japan are so good to 100%

I am not blaming you for this. But, we [Indians] need to be more open minded and BELIEVE that TML will get a good, quality product to us.

Prem.
I do think that the noise has reduced due to better products from TML of late like Manza and ARIA. However some folks are still set in their views .

Looking at the delays for Merlin, is there any inside news on what are the lingering issues?

I mean most of the issues have been sorted out in ARIA w.r.t the new features. And Safari has also been improved over the last decade and change. Does this mean Merlin has new components? Anybody know?
Old 16th June 2011, 08:53   #384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Are they then not planning to launch it at all?

They still have not managed that in 13 years. But nothing wrong in being optimistic. And I sincerely hope that Tata keeps improving their vehicles now that they have the know-how to do it.
These kind of badmouthing by non owners of TATA products have actually made the manufacturer suffer since long.

But the process of making a product niggle free is almost close to IMPOSSIBLE, even the likes of High end cars have niggling issues, infact all the cars do have niggles and troubles which goes un-heard or un-talked.

Its time that folks takes TATA as any other car manufacturer in the country and get on, atleast they dont play that Dirty game of WAITING PERIOD which we all know is a HOAX.

Eagerly waiting for some news about the Merlin
Old 16th June 2011, 09:03   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Does this mean Merlin has new components? Anybody know?
Based on the info I received from Concorde folks, below are some of the notable differences they mentioned.
  • Merlin's roof line has been changed to make it look more "boxy" with sharp lines and corners. May be influenced by LR designs.
  • The front headlamp external design is almost similar with changes only in internal structure. I think the mechanic meant "projector lamps" by this.
  • The spare wheel goes undearneath.
  • Interiors remain almost the same.
  • Expected to be launched only in 2012 and not before that.
They have seen these changes when they visited the plant, but did not ungergo any special training or know how specifically on Merlin.
Old 16th June 2011, 09:40   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
These kind of badmouthing by non owners of TATA products have actually made the manufacturer suffer since long.
You are correct mate. Tata has excellent quality control. However, there has been a secret CIA campaign to tarnish the image of Tata. I think it mostly have to do with the vast oil reserves under Tata's factories.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:07   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

But the process of making a product niggle free is almost close to IMPOSSIBLE, even the likes of High end cars have niggling issues, infact all the cars do have niggles and troubles which goes un-heard or un-talked.

Its time that folks takes TATA as any other car manufacturer in the country and get on, atleast they dont play that Dirty game of WAITING PERIOD which we all know is a HOAX.

Eagerly waiting for some news about the Merlin
Pavan, if you expect that people should comment only about vehicles owned by them, then probably 90% of Team-BHP content would have to be deleted. You do not need to own something to form an opinion. Using Tata vehicles without owning them, or having close friends using these products gives one enough insight into their products. Having friends working at Tata motors also helps to get some inside information.

As you yourself said, making a perfect vehicle (zero defect) is impossible, which is why I asked if Tata is not planning to launch the vehicle or not. But every manufacturer should aim for that. Badmouthing or not, sales tell the story of success or failure. And again, criticizing one manufacturer does not mean, that someone is praising another.

I have no idea about waiting periods - whether that is artificially created or not. But I do know that certain manufacturers used to force the dealers to stock vehicles even when they did not want them - this was a few years earlier. Things have changed now - for the better.

If they did not have the know-how earlier to do things better, they have the technological prowess now to do so. And I hope that they use that.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:26   #388
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod :
Guys, please keep the discussion limited to the Merlin.

Discussions related to the general reliability of Tata vehicles are to be avoided on this thread henceforth.
Old 16th June 2011, 21:55   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
  • Merlin's roof line has been changed to make it look more "boxy" with sharp lines and corners. -that's welcome as without the tailgate mounted spare,the curved roofline would be ugly.
  • The front headlamp external design is almost similar with changes only in internal structure. I think the mechanic meant "projector lamps" by this.-that's surprising cause every scoop pic showed an all new headlight.
  • The spare wheel goes undearneath.-discussed to death
  • Interiors remain almost the same.-if they could change the roofline,why not the interior? Or going the way of Sumo Victa-Sumo Grande?
  • Expected to be launched only in 2012 and not before that.
The launch date is a dampener. Only in 2012? That's when the X2 based SUV should have been launched.
Old 16th June 2011, 23:15   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The launch date is a dampener. Only in 2012? That's when the X2 based SUV should have been launched.
Merlin is X2 based. Please read post nos. 229 and 237 in this thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed