Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 23:27   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Merlin is X2 based. Please read post nos. 229 and 237 in this thread.
But then again contradicting reports have come on this thread time again and again. If X2 platform, then why is the body shell almost the same, and some posts saying that the interior too will be same. If then, where is the new platform? Again confusion. Maybe have to wait for more concrete news.
Old 16th June 2011, 23:52   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
But then again contradicting reports have come on this thread time again and again. If X2 platform, then why is the body shell almost the same, and some posts saying that the interior too will be same. If then, where is the new platform? Again confusion. Maybe have to wait for more concrete news.
It's not impossible to transplant an existing body shell on to a new chassis, more so when the design of the chassis is in your own hands (no dependence on foreign collaborator or parent company here, unlike Maruti or Hyundai India). Safari enjoys considerable fan following so the design philosophy must have been to combine continuity with change/improvement, an evolution rather than a revolution. It must also be remembered that there's nothing radical about the X2 platform, as the Aria has manifested: Same conventional body-on-chassis layout; longitudinally rather than transversly mounted engine; power transmission mostly being to the rear wheels. The main advantage of X2 chassis seems to be weight saving due to use of hydroformed material (resulting in better FE) and better handling (in comparison to existing Safari).
Old 17th June 2011, 10:19   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Same conventional body-on-chassis layout; longitudinally rather than transversly mounted engine; power transmission mostly being to the rear wheels. .
Well these things are what we want and expect from Tata to use them in the future MUV/SUVs. Landcruiser uses the same format,but that doesn't mean they don't change every generation.
What am saying is they can continue the old design language as an evolution like the Indica Vista ,but does the Vista share anything with the V2? No.
Likewise why continue tinkering with the old bodyshell when they can do an all new one from scratch while maintaining the same old design language.
P.S- Am saying purely by going thrugh the scoop pics which shows the old body evident from the A-pillars.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:04   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Likewise why continue tinkering with the old bodyshell when they can do an all new one from scratch while maintaining the same old design language.
P.S- Am saying purely by going thrugh the scoop pics which shows the old body evident from the A-pillars.
I understand what you are saying: Why do a half job - go the whole hog. But since this is speculation, and we don't really know what changes have been done to the body shell - I'm speculating as well (that rhymed a bit)

Maybe Tata is not fiddling too much with an already good design. Maybe the new hydroformed chassis along with tailored blanks and some design tweaks to the current body will make for a significantly lighter Merlin without investing too much over what is already spent on the chassis design for the Aria.

Since the Safari does not suffer from the poor image that the Indica/Indigo models do, and is an aspirational vehicle, keeping the brand image going with the Merlin while improving the performance and handling (assumed from reduced weight) while not over-pricing the Merlin will pay off in decent volumes.

Also we all know that the monthly sales of the Safari are lower than the Scorpio. Putting a better, but higher-priced Merlin (which hopefully will get good reviews due to Tata's apparent new commitment to quality) will build on the aspirational value and also possibly rub off on the regular Safari sales as well.

My 0.02p
Old 25th June 2011, 12:18   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem

You are so right on this - Its the individual's "dicey" thought about TML products, but assuming that everything from European and Japan are so good to 100%

I am not blaming you for this. But, we [Indians] need to be more open minded and BELIEVE that TML will get a good, quality product to us.

Prem.
Hi Prem, I too have the same thinking regarding TML. Its our own Indian vehicle manufacturer who is improving day by day. Moreover TML acquired Jaguar, British company. This will be written in history with Golden Words. I do own a Tata vehicle. Is Merlin launch confirmed in September, 2011?

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 25th June 2011 at 12:25.
Old 25th June 2011, 15:11   #396
Senior - BHPian

@ Dicky,

A design that is old does not necessarily mean its ineffective especially taking the Indian market into context. Even today the Safari is by fay the best proper SUV you can buy in its price range. Even if Tata develops a whole new Safari that is capable of bettering the current generation it will definitely not be in the present price range, then we start complaining that Tata's are too expensive.

Even Toyota uses this principle, the LandCruiser 70 (introduced in the early 80s) are still being sold in Africa, South America, Australia etc.... The car works and people can find nothing better to replace it in the price range, why fix something thats not broken. Even the worlds best SUV the Range Rover's existing avatar is a decade old. Toyota's successful entry into the Indian market was with the 1986 model Kijang aka the Qualis till 2004.

There are plenty of customers waiting for the Merlin, although there is no doubt that Tata could have resolved the various niggles of the Safari long ago.
Old 25th June 2011, 16:05   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ Dicky,

A design that is old does not necessarily mean its ineffective especially taking the Indian market into context. Even today the Safari is by fay the best proper SUV you can buy in its price range.....................
Even Toyota uses this principle, the LandCruiser 70 (introduced in the early 80s) are still being sold in Africa, South America, Australia etc.... The car works and people can find nothing better to replace it in the price range, why fix something thats not broken..............................
There are plenty of customers waiting for the Merlin, although there is no doubt that Tata could have resolved the various niggles of the Safari long ago.
Guys, i think everyone got me wrong.
@shortbread- am a die hard fan of the LC70 and rank it even higher than Defender,G-wagen. And especially lust over the 3 door version during my stay in Riyadh.
Am all for old basic designs that are suited for India. If Safari comes without any change but with high fit and finish and reliability guaranteed am all for it.After all it's the only proper SUV cheaper than Pajero.(the Endy is a pick up truck with a body,for goodness sakes)
What i meant was if and only if the Merlin is based on the X2 platform then why can't Tata change the body as well. I have heard of new body in old platforms, but a brand new platform under an old existing body is rare. Again i say, i don't care if Tata keeps the old body given they price it same as the existing Safari and doesn't charge a premium.
Cheers
Old 25th June 2011, 23:09   #398
Senior - BHPian

The current Safari body styling is excellent and wonderfully proportioned. It still turns heads, especially in the darker shades.

I, personally, would want the Merlin to have an equally well-proportioned styling.

I think the chassis design is good for rugged Indian roads with its fantastic ride quality. I hope Tata doesn't make it into a soft-roader. I have read some owners complain about lack of control under high speed breaking and some uneven tyre wear issues. I hope that gets sorted out.

The interior spatial arrangement is amazingly comfortable. Wish that stays as it is. The interiors might need a fresh look. But the current ones go well with the rugged image.

Apart from that, we all know what Tata needs: reliability. Almost every owner's review says the same. I don't see why non-owners should not form opinions based on other peoples' experience. Sort that one out, and my next vehicle should be a Merlin.
Old 26th June 2011, 10:41   #399
sarcar

Not sure how the new Merlin is going to turn out, but one thing TML has done a neat job of is keeping it under wraps. The project has been on for more than 24-28 months now, the spy pics and magazine coverages are over 10-12 months, but still nobody really knows anything "for sure". Sincerely, wish to credit TML for such kind of professionalism. And to top it up with this new set of "Desert Storm" ads, adding to the well-shaped mystery. IMHO, pretty cool stuff in our days, when even govts. seem to be collapsing under the likes of Wikileaks ;-)

Old 30th June 2011, 07:06   #400
BHPian

Tata Merlin spied testing near Pune, courtesy IAB.

Last edited by ambujlal : 30th June 2011 at 07:08. Reason: Added source of information
Old 30th June 2011, 08:43   #401
BHPian

^^ Very close, neat shot video. The front, I think, its very much like the Range Rover. I hope it mimics the RR front. Lets see.

Prem.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:24   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
^^ Very close, neat shot video. The front, I think, its very much like the Range Rover. I hope it mimics the RR front. Lets see.

Prem.
I beg to differ, i would like the Safari to have an identity of it's own.
The next thing we want is that JC saying "Tata motors seem to milking Land rover, just look at one of their SUVs ,blatantly copying the Range Rover."
And Hammond adding "Yes, it looks like a wimped miniature of the Range Rover"
And with all the people surrounding them and the three men laughing out their British humour against Tata, sorry but Safari has it's own identity which they could do without any LR style influence.
But i would like Tata to have a separate identity, though technological transfer from JLR i welcome, leave the styling alone.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 14:01   #403
Senior - BHPian

The twin exhausts are integrated into the bumper. Should give the rear end a more upmarket look.
Old 30th June 2011, 19:20   #404
Senior - BHPian

I am sure for most of us Safari enthusiasts, the rear-mounted spare wheel will be sorely missed :(
Old 30th June 2011, 20:00   #405
BHPian

Can somebody attach screen grabs from the above you-tube video? Many like us don't have access to you-tube at work
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks