Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 08:00   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

I saw that video of the Evoque, barely what an usual soft roader couldn't do. In fact it made me remember a video of "S class offroading"in youtube. Google it.
I only said cause the Evoque maybe stylish and all but like what @IronH4WK said,it's like a tank and how it can be used a Technical made me
And however delicious it may seems i don't want Tata inspired or taking design ideas from JLR. Technology transfers and QC standard is needed, but when styling too is inspire then Tata becomes nothing more than "The Indian company that bought JLR and living off it".
Look at the Aria,except the last minute fine-tuning from JLR, the whole car was developed by Tata itself, but waht the motoring press says is the straight opposite.
Old 7th July 2011, 09:00   #422
BHPian

Yesterday i talked a SE of TATA showroom in Hadapsar (Near Magarpatta city).As per him the new safari (Merlin) is around the corner. It will lunch within 10-15 days with the
new ARIA 2X4.

ARIA 2X4 is confirmed in other thread. So i believe the SE and think that merlin will lunch soon.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 09:28   #423
xPK
BHPian

Hey Kalinga, that's really a great news. But it's really hard for me to digest the fact that vehicles are launching at same time. Nothing wrong theoretically, but in practical, one may not want its one child to steal the thunder from its sibling. Though I would love to see new safari ASAP in market, I would definitely keep some breathing time between the launches of Aria 4x2 and Safari launches.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:22   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
like what @IronH4WK said,it's like a tank and how it can be used a Technical made me
OT:

from the bout of amusement you've been having i'm pretty sure you've missed the sarcasm in my post. anywho, when i said built like a tank, i was referring to the size and not the capability.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:44   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Yesterday i talked a SE of TATA showroom in Hadapsar (Near Magarpatta city).As per him the new safari (Merlin) is around the corner. It will lunch within 10-15 days with the
new ARIA 2X4.

ARIA 2X4 is confirmed in other thread. So i believe the SE and think that merlin will lunch soon.
Kalinga,

It actually makes sense for them to launch both the products together, as Aria 4x2 is just a variant, while the Merlin is an complete design rework.

This would help TATA have the safari range starting from
Safari DICOR 2.2 LX BS 4 @ 8Lac
Safari Merlin BS4 @ 10Lac +
Aria 2x4 BS4 @ 12Lac +
Aria Pleasure 4X4 BS IV @ 13Lac
Aria Pride 4X4 BS IV @ 15Lac

That is a good range right...
Old 15th July 2011, 10:57   #426
Senior - BHPian

Some minor update on the Merlin (courtesy my friend in ERC):

The merlin is on the last legs of testing- approx 20K worth oftestig left that should be over in the next week or so (this is not real world testing but a simulated environment where the cars are run 24x7).

Merlin has recieved ARAI certification and TML is targeting SOP (Start of Production) clearance in early august. the Merlin is not slated for Auto expo launch, it will definitely be launched in the 3rd quarter of this year to target the festive season.

Carl Peter Foster is personally taking a lot of interest in this project and has deputed a team from LR to work closely withthe ERC folks on this and as per my source, the Merlin will be positioned approx 1-1.25 L more than the present safari, model for model (he is not in marketing so doesnt have exact specifics on price). what he does reitierate every time we talk is that the merlin will EAT the Fortuner for breakfast in almost all parameters- he is very very proud of the product and according to him the quality will be in the Aria league.

interestingly he mentioned that whatever knowledge they are getting from "industry sources" on the W201, it seems that the Merlin will be a far bettwe value proposition and will be a better engineered product, including on quality parametrs

lets wait and see.........

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 15th July 2011 at 11:20.
himanshugoswami is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 11:30   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Kalinga,

It actually makes sense for them to launch both the products together, as
I pray that they do provide LX with a 4x4 option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Some minor update on the Merlin

Carl Peter Foster is personally taking a lot of interest in this project and has deputed a team from LR to work closely withthe ERC folks on this and as per my source, the Merlin will be positioned approx 1-1.25 L more than the present safari, model for model (he is not in marketing so doesnt have exact specifics on price). what he does reitierate every time we talk is that the merlin will EAT the Fortuner for breakfast in almost all parameters- he is very very proud of the product and according to him the quality will be in the Aria league.

Excellent!
Old 15th July 2011, 11:42   #428
BHPian

ya car is slated for a launch in September, i was informed of production plan 2500 safari in month of September 1000 old ones & 1500 new ones. That's firm news unless & until it is postponed.
007 Bond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 11:59   #429
Senior - BHPian

@ himanshugoswami,

Thanks for the update, here are my thoughts:
  • Taking the approx. price increase into account with the present BS4 Safari, the Merlin should be in the 9.25 - 13 lac bracket.
  • The effort and testing that's going into the Merlin means its definitely much more than a face lift. I have a sneaking suspicion that the rumors of the Merlin being adapted to the X2 platform might be very much true.
  • For the Merlin to be compared with the Fortuner, W201 or even stablemate Aria it must have far better interiors, I am praying this is the case.
  • The W201 will be a stronger product vis a vis the Merlin especially being an all new design, better handling mono chassis etc. Where Merlin can hold its own is the fact its a more proven product (ahem..), better off road especially being a traditional ladder frame and most importantly the value proposition.
  • The Merlin will have to be priced approx. 1.5 lacs lower than the W201 or else customers will be more tempted by the Mahindra, especially the novelty of the product. Pricing has traditionally been the Indian manufacturers trump card (before the Aria episode), the Merlin and W201 could be in for a price war!!
  • It might be a good idea for Tata to give a longer, more comprehensive warranty on the Merlin especially during the initial months to prove to people the faith they have in it.
Cant wait!!
Old 15th July 2011, 12:02   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the Merlin will be positioned approx 1-1.25 L more than the present safari, what he does reitierate every time we talk is that the merlin will EAT the Fortuner for breakfast in almost all parameters- he is very very proud of the product and according to him the quality will be in the Aria league.
interestingly he mentioned that whatever knowledge they are getting from "industry sources" on the W201, it seems that the Merlin will be a far bettwe value proposition and will be a better engineered product, including on quality parametrs
Yahoo, from the beginning of the thread am hearing that the new Safari will eat the T-fort for breakfast, can't wait if it's true
And the W201? except perhaps handling i have already written of it against the pucca SUV Safari.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:24   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Some minor update on the Merlin

I am waiting will this be my Next Drive...
TATA please
1) don't leave any uneven gaps in the interiors / exteriors
2) Ensure the car feels well put together
3) no niggles.

is the above 3 tough to do?
Old 15th July 2011, 16:06   #432
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

himanshugoswami

We can all only wish that all you mention is actually true - if indeed then a price hike of 1.5L will be justified.
Old 15th July 2011, 17:01   #433
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I need to start saving :-) Safari is my favourite machine.

Donations are welcome, PM me for my acount details :-)
Old 15th July 2011, 17:48   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

interestingly he mentioned that whatever knowledge they are getting from "industry sources" on the W201, it seems that the Merlin will be a far better value proposition and will be a better engineered product, including on quality parameters

It has to be one of the better vehicle Himanshu as Tata has worked a lot to get this Merlin up and running.

According to me the W201 as seen on the other thread looks like a waste of time vehicle for discussion, the engineers would have seen some cartoon show while designing the same. Had hoped for something good from Mahindra.

There will be no competition between these two vehicle at any given time.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 19:33   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Donations are welcome, PM me for my acount details :-)
please send some my way too

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
the engineers would have seen some cartoon show while designing the same.
exactly the thought i had when i first i saw it!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks