Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 15:39   #511
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Did someone get a chance to click the front and interiors too ?

This pic evokes kind of mixed bag emotions for me. Somehow, I have a feeling that this new avatar might just look fine in real life.
Old 19th July 2011, 15:45   #512
Senior - BHPian

Its interesting how the new side cladding has made the Safari more muscular and contemporary, the previous plastics was so circa 80's. Also the rear end looks more proportionate with the rest of the car, I found the old one looking very rear heavy, this time they have done a good job of hiding the bulk.

Mounting the spare wheel under the chassis and a lighter rear door in itself must have given the Safari a weight saving as well as better weight distribution. I am in a way happy that there are no front facing third row seats, the last thing one wants to see is the Safari being parked in Taxi ranks next to Innovas and Scorpios!!

I think the Safari fans who have grown with the existing design will need time to digest this make over. But for potential SUV buyers and new comers, this is exactly what they are looking for, a chunky beefed up vehicle that looks as good if not better than its contemporaries. That said we have to wait until we see the whole thing.

Hoping Tata has also redone the interiors, this combined with the better handling, pick up, quality etc.. hopefully will make it the perfect Indian SUV that we all have been waiting for.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 15:57   #513
Senior - BHPian

For a SAFARI enthusiastic like me and many others who have grown with the car (4 Safaris in my family) this is indeed a great upgrade. Seriously, I am fed up with this old design or smaller cosmetic upgrades, this one looks more MACHO and only a Safari owner (for more than 4-5 years) might understand the FADING looks of current version. Welcome Merlin!!
Old 19th July 2011, 15:58   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Loved the look.
Agree its looks better and the Spare wheel is not missed. But the Cladding is too heavy in the back & too monotonous. They should have given it some break or divider.

As pointed out by someone Terracan / Endeavour have a similar cut for the fuel Lid but there is a small break in the design which helps the back not look to heavy.

Hope it looks better in Person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
(a) Re-tuned engined to deliver 150 PS
(b) New G 76 MK II gear box
(c) Dual mazz flywheel to decrease engine vibration ?
(a) - that would be good.
(b) - it definitely deserves a better gear Box
(c) yahoo! - would definitely reduce the vibration. (Mods missed the 3rd Smilies here).
(d) How about weight reduction? Safari requires to go on a diet just like me.
(e) How about the panel Gaps - a no no for any current generation car.
(f) How about the niggles - hope all the testing of a the decade old car for more than a year will ensure ZERO niggles.
Old 19th July 2011, 17:01   #515
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, new gearbox, and Dual mass flywheel!
I guess Tata will be factoring in the cost of retro fits(which will come, no doubt about that), and this may make this safari quite a bit more expensive.
Old 19th July 2011, 17:18   #516
Senior - BHPian

It might be the angle from which the picture has been taken, but dont you guys think that the rear half portion is squarish while the front half is a bit curvy? Its like mating Safari with RR went wrong. Also the bonnet height seems a bit odd as far as the rear height goes.
Old 19th July 2011, 17:50   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Regarding the top hinged rear door, I feel (after careful observation of the Merlin image) there is some thing cylindrical & similar in shape to that of the hinges in the right side protruding next to the tail light. There could be something similar to hinges in the top, which aren't visible due to bad photography by the scoopster.
I do not think rear door opens up (top hinge) design. Just check the position of rear foot step it is close to LH side, means cylindrical part you see on RH side is a hinge isn't it?

Or is it a two piece design?

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th July 2011 at 17:51.
Old 19th July 2011, 18:25   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I do not think rear door opens up (top hinge) design. Just check the position of rear foot step it is close to LH side, means cylindrical part you see on RH side is a hinge isn't it?

Exactly, it is not a top opening rear door. But a side opening rear door as in the current gen sans the door mounted tyre & that was what I was trying to point out to... glad that you concur with my findings.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 19th July 2011 at 18:30.
Old 19th July 2011, 18:52   #519
BHPian

To me the exterior pastic cladding reminds of two inspirations merged. the front and side cladding easpecially inspired from Saanyang Rexton rear wheel cladding looks likeold HyundaiTerracan inspired.

Let us see how th interior now looks in terms of quality and convenience design.
Old 19th July 2011, 20:48   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Some frontal and interiors shots too please! Doesn't look all that bad IMO. But, the crome handles, cladding around the fuel cap and the 'tacky' side step are not pleasing.
Old 19th July 2011, 23:08   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
You are so sensitive my friend!!!

Did I hurt your feelings by referring to your unsubstantiated statements? If so my very humble apologies!

The feeling of vindication must be quite a relief, no?

In any public discussion it is best to state whether we are drawing an inference based on our experience, observation or we are making a categorical statement based on facts. If you are for some reason unable to state the source of the facts or maybe the information has been disclosed to you off the record and you are being kind enough to share it with fellow members, say so. Creating an aura of mystery , how does it help in furthering debate? If I am not mistaken this forum exists for exchange of views, information and debate. If I am wrong I welcome being corrected.

And BTW an substantiated picture is not the confirmation of your public disclosure of TML's strategy - which again is privileged information.

As always this is my humble submission in the best interest of our(the forum membership) interaction and not intended to slight anyone.
sometimes the source cant be disclosed just for the sake of the public information!

just enjoy the information and the Photo.
Old 20th July 2011, 00:22   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

sometimes the source cant be disclosed just for the sake of the public information!

just enjoy the information and the Photo.
@Parm & @himanshugoswami

Thanks for all those scoops and "assertive" info you guys give us on Merlin. We understand and appreciate that the source cannot be revealed always. If you could add a disclaimer to the posts, that would take care of the suspicion. We have seen that many a times people end up making assertive posts though they dont have proper source or they don't mean to. This leads to confusion and leads to question about sources.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th July 2011 at 00:23.
Old 20th July 2011, 07:18   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Exactly, it is not a top opening rear door. But a side opening rear door as in the current gen sans the door mounted tyre & that was what I was trying to point out to... glad that you concur with my findings.
Spot on the cylindrical part is the Hinge. Tried to blow up the picture as much as possible and it dose look like the Hinge. But where is the Door handle then?? As there is no handle to the left side of the door we all presume that the handle is in the centre just above the number plate hence presume that the door is a Top Hinge version. Confused again...
Old 20th July 2011, 09:00   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
But where is the Door handle then?? As there is no handle to the left side of the door we all presume that the handle is in the centre just above the number plate hence presume that the door is a Top Hinge version.
Can still be side-opening type door, but with the handle placed in the center, hidden below that strip of chrome.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:12   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can still be side-opening type door, but with the handle placed in the center, hidden below that strip of chrome.
Do we spot a key hole in the Chrome Strip...

Marked the Hinge and the Key Hole. I think doubt cleared about the door being top Hinged..

Can anyone throw some light on the bulge above the Glass Area marked as 1 in the previous pics.... its not matching / making any sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-merlin-1.jpg  

Last edited by rajchetan : 20th July 2011 at 09:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed