re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
So, the SAFARI-18 looks like this ...Cool
Nice catch
Seems like a improved product. A generalist view
TML MAYBE be providing

1. Rack n Pinion steering.
2. Same chassis as aria (hydrofoam based).
3. option for 3 row seating (front faced)
4. shares same engine and gearbox with Aria
5. Disc brakes all around.
Old 24th July 2011, 14:52   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
2. Door handles looks utterly cheap and basic design. Is it chrome? Looks like manufacturers are obsessed with chrome treatment.
Agree with them looking cheap, but basic? They're the contemporary tug-type handles

Saw two (separately, in different parts of the city) Toyota Fortuners with the same type of Chromed door handles. One was registered and the other had TR plate. Looks like Tata's copied that since it seems to be popular among the buying public. I sincerely hope it is an optional accessory!!
Old 26th July 2011, 12:01   #558
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

Guys, captured this couple of snaps last Saturday on mum-b'lor bypass near pune. Not sure whether its Mahindra SUV but looking at the second pic it should not be the mini-Xylo thing for sure!

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-dsc00713.jpg

Notice the chrome plate and separate twin exhausts!
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-dsc00717.jpg
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 12:16   #559
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
Guys, captured this couple of snaps last Saturday on mum-b'lor bypass near pune. Not sure whether its Mahindra SUV but looking at the second pic it should not be the mini-Xylo thing for sure!

Attachment 583140

Notice the chrome plate and separate twin exhausts!
Attachment 583141
IMO, This is Safari Merlin and not a M&M Product. There is a picture of Merlin rear on relevant thread and the dual exhausts as well as chrome strip match effectively and then the fact that you spotted it near Pune makes a case for TATA stronger.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 26th July 2011 at 12:17.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:10   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
IMO, This is Safari Merlin and not a M&M Product. There is a picture of Merlin rear on relevant thread and the dual exhausts as well as chrome strip match effectively and then the fact that you spotted it near Pune makes a case for TATA stronger.
This is Merlin for sure. I also spotted same test mule with lot of other Tata Vehicles, Manza, Indigo, Aria.

For me, Something was different than merlin I saw earlier. Tyres were too big and wheelbase was too less compared to old gen safari. Overhang behind wheel was very less and it had very small sporty footprint than safari.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:19   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
This is Merlin for sure. I also spotted same test mule with lot of other Tata Vehicles, Manza, Indigo, Aria.

For me, Something was different than merlin I saw earlier. Tyres were too big and wheelbase was too less compared to old gen safari. Overhang behind wheel was very less and it had very small sporty footprint than safari.
Thanks.

It means Merlin is the better off-roader in the making... if he niggles are negligible or minimal. But the latest snaps & your post have just proved that the wheels are not smaller in size as compared to current Safari unlike it appeared from the previous snaps that have been discussed & analysed in detail.
Old 26th July 2011, 21:34   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

This could be the Range Rover Evoque on test.
Old 26th July 2011, 22:20   #563
MAS
Senior - BHPian

That is the new Tata Merlin for sure. I hope the Merlin is free from the niggles associated with the Safari. I also hope Tata gives it a better "name"!
Old 27th July 2011, 14:07   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This could be the Range Rover Evoque on test.
RR Evoque is already launched world wide. Why should they disguise the car in India then?
Old 27th July 2011, 15:52   #565
Senior - BHPian

Thats not the Evoque, which is a lot lower and those are not the shape of its tail lamps. The shape of the exhausts is a give away that its a Merlin (Evoque has circular exhausts).
Old 27th July 2011, 15:56   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Thats not the Evoque, which is a lot lower and those are not the shape of its tail lamps. The shape of the exhausts is a give away that its a Merlin (Evoque has circular exhausts).

I think his comment is about the other small vehicle (smaller than safari) he spotted with Tata test mules not about the picture posted above.

Now the question is;

1) Did he spot the Merlin?
2) Is it RR Evoque - India version? or
3) Do we have a Mini-Safari (like mini Xylo) in the making?

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th July 2011 at 15:59.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:03   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I think his comment is about the other small vehicle (smaller than safari) he spotted with Tata test mules not about the picture posted above.

Now the question is;

1) Did he spot the Merlin?
2) Is it RR Evoque - India version? or
3) Do we have a Mini-Safari (like mini Xylo) in the making?
Most possibility is of Merlin. But I can not avoid the fact that it has less(no) overhang at rear and less lengthier road presence, Bigger wheels and lesser wheel base. It was looking way more sportier. I do not know if this was due to my untrained eyes.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:33   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
My comment was based on the smaller (than Safari) SUV that he had seen. Not the ones in the pics though, those are unmistakably the Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
RR Evoque is already launched world wide. Why should they disguise the car in India then?
Many car makers go the disguise route prior to launching in India. Even Aria test mules were spotted with covers on after the press launch.

But having said that, it could also be the Freelander on test, as there are plans to locally manufacture it, and could be that this one would have certain changes.

The Mini Safari (SWB - 3-door) was already displayed long back, dont think Tata would now want to reopen that, as in present scenario, it would make better sense to use an older LR platform for a vehicle smaller than Safari.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:41   #569
Senior - BHPian

@ 1100D,

Apologies, I thought u were referring to the pic. Yep from sushant's description it does sound like the Evoque's profile. Wont be surprised, as Tata can share the Freelander's assembly line for the baby RR as well.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:38   #570
BHPian

I am damn sure it was not Evoque. It was Merlin and Had same camouflage same as picture above. I think it was my untrained eyes which disguised me. Let's stop discussion till I spot that mule again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks