Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:58   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Tata should be using something like to keep alive the Safari Heritage and market the Merlin on Safari's lineage.

Old 3rd September 2011, 18:47   #722
Senior - BHPian

Guys a minor update, this time from my regular source:

the current Safari has not been updated for the last 12 months in any manner and NO furhter work will be done on it. TML will continue to sell it for a MAX of 12 months from the launch ofthe Merlin and then will be discontinued- the idea is to move the Safari range (i.e. Merlin) north of 10L- TML is hell bent on taking their image upmarket and Aria has given them confidence.

The Merlin interioirs will share a few aggregates with the Aria and the delay is apparently on account of some changes to the interiors. Also the Merlin is coming with the dual mass flywheel from the Aria

So those who are interested in picking up the current Safari should do so after the Merlin is launched- you can expect massive discounts.
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:02   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

the current Safari has not been updated for the last 12 months in any manner and NO furhter work will be done on it. TML will continue to sell it for a MAX of 12 months from the launch ofthe Merlin and then will be discontinued- the idea is to move the Safari range (i.e. Merlin) north of 10L- TML is hell bent on taking their image upmarket and Aria has given them confidence.

The Merlin interioirs will share a few aggregates with the Aria and the delay is apparently on account of some changes to the interiors. Also the Merlin is coming with the dual mass flywheel from the Aria

So those who are interested in picking up the current Safari should do so after the Merlin is launched- you can expect massive discounts.
I am sorry, but I dont completely get you here.

The Merlin is introduced, and stays in the 10L+ zone. The Safari then continues for one more year in the 7.5-10L range. But what happens after that??

We get to see a sub 10L Merlin or new "Safari" or something different altogether??
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:09   #724
Senior - BHPian

Julupani, from what my friend told me (and please note he is in prod dev and not marketing), Tata plans to exit the sub 10 L SUV segment for now since they want to position the Merlin as being distinct from the present Safari to avoid association with the negative market perception as regards quality and niggles. TML is confident on the quality of the Merlin and will thus eventually discontinue the present Safari and only sell the Merlin at 10 please price point, till such time the all new Safari comes out.
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:10   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the idea is to move the Safari range (i.e. Merlin) north of 10L- TML is hell bent on taking their image upmarket and Aria has given them confidence
Isn't scorpio selling more because of the price factor [to some extent] on account of Safari being more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The Merlin is introduced, and stays in the 10L+ zone. The Safari then continues for one more year in the 7.5-10L range. But what happens after that??
I guess Merlin will be sold until the ALL-NEW-SAFARI launches which is couple of years from now - could be.
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:16   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Julupani, from what my friend told me (and please note he is in prod dev and not marketing), Tata plans to exit the sub 10 L SUV segment for now since they want to position the Merlin as being distinct from the present Safari to avoid association with the negative market perception as regards quality and niggles. TML is confident on the quality of the Merlin and will thus eventually discontinue the present Safari and only sell the Merlin at 10 please price point, till such time the all new Safari comes out.
I was so wishing you wernt going to say what you just did.

They literally have given up on the Sumo, allowing the Bolero a free reign, and now in a year they will give up on the sub 10L SUV/MUV market.

Tata seriously need a bigger and more efficient ERC.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:20   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I am sorry, but I dont completely get you here.

We get to see a sub 10L Merlin or new "Safari" or something different altogether??
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Isn't scorpio selling more because of the price factor [to some extent] on account of Safari being more expensive?

I guess Merlin will be sold until the ALL-NEW-SAFARI launches which is couple of years from now - could be.
thats correct information about the current Safari, soon to be launched Merlin and the Future ALL NEW SAFARI.

current safari would be sold along side Merlin, there after its production will come to a halt and Merlin would continue till the ALL NEW SAFARI comes and then the Merlin would take place of the current safari.

guys please note that why the Merlin is called Merlin and not SAFARI?

because its not the ALL NEW SAFARI and when the current safari dies, tata will launch the ALL NEW SAFARI and Merlin becomes a second fiddle to the ALL NEW SAFARI!

so the SAFARI is reborn as the ALL NEW SAFARI, influenced by LR. expect a mix of Safari heritage and LR design.

Merlin is just a face lift with better mechanicals to fill the gap between the current safari and the ALL NEW SAFARI.

as himanshu said, get ready for BIGGER discounts on the current safari in few months as stock will be cleared!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-safari-new.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-safari-new-rear.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2011, 19:27   #728
Senior - BHPian

Parm, I guess you shoudl clarify that the pic you have posted is just an artist's impression, lest people start wondering
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:02   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parm, I guess you shoudl clarify that the pic you have posted is just an artist's impression, lest people start wondering
NOTE: the photos posted by me are only artist's impression and influenced heavely by LR.
Old 4th September 2011, 00:12   #730
Senior - BHPian

So the strategy is to launch only the high end versions of the Merlin now and once the current Safari dies and the new one arrives the lower versions of the Merlin will be launched to fill in for the current!

BTW @himanshu, any update on the launch dates? Festival season or AutoExpo?
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 01:40   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
NOTE: the photos posted by me are only artist's impression and influenced heavely by LR.
All that "artist" did though,is to put TATA and Safari badges (with some other minor touch ups) on a Discovery3/LR3!
That said,Merlin, from spy shots,looks like a nice modern SUV.
Old 4th September 2011, 15:18   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
So the strategy is to launch only the high end versions of the Merlin now and once the current Safari dies and the new one arrives the lower versions of the Merlin will be launched to fill in for the current!

BTW @himanshu, any update on the launch dates? Festival season or AutoExpo?
Congratulations Safari lover, you are the first guy in this thread to understand what TATA is doing with current Safari-Merlin-ALL NEW SAFARI!

thats the precise reason why the face lift is called Merlin (no safari word used)
Old 4th September 2011, 20:39   #733
BHPian

shouldnt tata also look at more engine options to differentiate between trim levels? a more powerful engine more specifically.

tata vehicles end up being heavier as it is. at least the higher end versions should get more powerful motors.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:18   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Congratulations Safari lover, you are the first guy in this thread to understand what TATA is doing with current Safari-Merlin-ALL NEW SAFARI!

thats the precise reason why the face lift is called Merlin (no safari word used)
Launch a problem free product now, remove the heritage product in phases, lower the price of new product, launch the heritage product in an all new avatar in higher price range.

It seems to be a perfect strategy! One word for strategy formulation at TML - Respect
Lets hope the implementation is as astute.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:47   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimster View Post
All that "artist" did though,is to put TATA and Safari badges (with some other minor touch ups) on a Discovery3/LR3!
That said,Merlin, from spy shots,looks like a nice modern SUV.
glad to know some one atleast noticed the LR3, expect a similar NEW SAFARI!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks