Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2010, 23:06   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm. That should be a good move. Sumo should have long gone ! But I think thats one of their most sold product as well [after Indicas] But the new MPV is just at the feasibility stage. Would it not take at least 2-3 years to be get into a proper production mould ?
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:22   #77
BHPian

Some more spyshots from Motoroids website.
2012 Tata Safari Merlin: New spy shots and info!

Interior pics are too dark to make out any differences. Exterior looks more or less the same, but for the new front design.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:12   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Some more spyshots from Motoroids website.
2012 Tata Safari Merlin: New spy shots and info!

Interior pics are too dark to make out any differences. Exterior looks more or less the same, but for the new front design.
Few observations.
1. looks like the hood has a full chrome plate that overlaps the headlights
2. rear 3/4 looks same with similar handrail design. That is not good unless this is the existing Safari refresh.
3. Gets new tail light
4. Doesn't seem to have 3rd forward facing seat. though the rear side bench looks a little wider than current model. Or is it something like a front facing 3rd row seat that folds onto the side walls rather than down
5. Interiors looks more angular(like land roverish) but very interesting

Overall if this is just a Sfari refresh then the exteriors (rear 3/4) are okay. But if this is a all new Safari then the exterior looks like a half hearted design approach
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

nice scoop photos.

its the same old safari with a re-freshed look.

the NEW safari will be based on the Aria platform and it has been delayed till 2012. till then merlin is safari's new face.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:41   #80
BHPian

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Tata will likely call it Tata Safari Merlin and continue to sell the old Safari side by side. Like Indica/Indica XETA/Indica Vista, Indigo/Indigo Manza, Sumo/Sumo Grande. And when the new X2 based Safari is here, it may be sold with a name like Safari Grande..
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:39   #81
BHPian

There is potential for both platforms safari/merlin to sell sidebyside. But as suggested by motoroids the pricing band of 11-12.5 lac may be optimistic for merlin, which after all is just a regular safari with new lights, bumpers and tweaked interiors.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

somehow this

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image0031.jpg

reminds me of this

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-fordedge_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg

and this.

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-p9245367.jpg

Will have to see the vehicle in flesh before commenting.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:37   #83
BHPian

I think it looks great and more truck like now than before. They should have reduced the height from the front where the front windscreen ends and the roof starts. That part of Safari is too tall but that would need extensive costs and change of doors which then would not be a simple face-lift. Looks more truck like now for sure. I am buying this if the 4wd is below 10lacs (any variant I don't care) and its boat like handling comes under control. Just 4x4 with LSD under 10 Lacs Tata, that's all we want. Dicor should go and in should come some FIAT powertrain that'd be 'icing on the safari'
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:21   #84
Senior - BHPian

the way the lights and front fender and bumper meet- it reminds me of the Grande.....i feel TML has taken away the charm of the safari..... but lets wait to see the final product.

If all this comes with better qualtiy, then one can live with the looks, if they are not at par with the current version.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:27   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
somehow this

Attachment 457761
yes. something like a chrome plate on the endeavour bonnet but overlapping further on the headlight.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:27   #86
BHPian

I think Mahindra is copying headlight designs from BMW. "The Angry Eye" design or something along that lines.

What is that round tube like thingy on the top of the vehicle? This vehicle looks very much like the yesteryear's Safari design. I cant spot anything that is going to make it stand out in the crowd. Forget standing out in the crowd, it doesn't even fit in the crowd - with the current SUV's in the market.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Good that they used the 17inch from Aria. Also,since 2.2L is used in the Aria, it shows how good engine it is and how much Tata bets on that engine.
Old 24th November 2010, 17:02   #88
SUV
BHPian

Info from a friend associated with the Tata brand.

Update on Merlin : This is a facelift alright, but might not be the actual production spec. Development is delayed further since JLR is working on it. We might see it launched probably Q2-11 instead of Q1-11.

Existing Safari : All 4x4 versions except for the VX 4x4 have been stopped / discontinued. Few might be left in dealer stock.

New Safari : This is unconfirmed News - it will be 2012 model year. Will be based on the Aria Chassis / drivetrain. This means we should start seeing test mules shortly.

No 3L on any SUV / MUV yet. We might see a single model probably with a Auto box in future (similar to Endeavour).
Old 24th November 2010, 17:17   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post

We might see a single model probably with a Auto box in future (similar to Endeavour).
A/T on 2.2Dicor Face lift safari or On Aria platform based all new Safari?
Could you kindly confirm/ clarify. I need a Safari with A/T
Old 24th November 2010, 17:46   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post

Update on Merlin : This is a facelift alright, but might not be the actual production spec. Development is delayed further since JLR is working on it. We might see it launched probably Q2-11 instead of Q1-11.

Existing Safari : All 4x4 versions except for the VX 4x4 have been stopped / discontinued. Few might be left in dealer stock.
JLR working on it gives high hopes. Waiting till Q2-11 is a pain.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks