Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 01:02   #1006
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Does the current Safari have ventilated front discs? Is there a significant difference in braking performance with ventilated discs vis-a-vis solid ones? I ask because it doesn't anywhere say that the XUV has ventilated discs in front. I believe the Safari does - though please correct me if I am wrong.
TATA Motors - Safari DICOR
yes it does. Even my humble indica has ventilated discs up front
as per this BSM Roadtest, even the XUV has ventilated discs
Mahindra XUV500 test drive and review
Old 10th October 2011, 06:37   #1007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I think they are over bothered about escaping the lenses of photographers. Due to this, they are not thinking about safety of other vehicles around , which is wrong IMO.
That will be the case with ALL test vehicles & their drivers. Also, the drivers of such vehicles are also amongst the very best you can get - both in terms of handling & their understanding of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Not sure if the rear look of Merlin did come up in this thread, if not, this is how it is.
We do have this pic on this thread. There's also an old (current gen) Safari behind this. There is another pic on this thread that shows the vehicle from front 3-Q, taken from above.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:21   #1008

I do not think that the Merlin can compete with the XUV 500, unless the Merlin is prices 2L lesser than the XUV 500.
Old 13th October 2011, 07:18   #1009
BHPian

Tata have started airing the Safari ads starting at 7.95L is this strategy to dispose off old Safari and by Depavali introduce new look Safari?
Old 13th October 2011, 07:26   #1010
Senior - BHPian

There is this story of how the TOYOTA COROLLA was to be launched soon after HONDA launched its CIVIC. The CIVIC design was so ground-breaking that the TOYOTA CEO ordered all his designers to get back to the drawing board and get a new vehicle in, cancelling the COROLLA launch

I think this is what the XUV 500 has done to the MERLIN, its going to be like a film bombing even before it is to be released. By the looks of the spy pictures, TATA had the MERLIN 'ready' months before, but lost out in using additional time trying to perfect it.

Guess like TATA has to be content playing second fiddle and start catering to the market who wants a vehicle but does not want to wait for delivery
Old 13th October 2011, 08:56   #1011
BHPian

IMHO I will compare the Safari to Scorpio and Aria to XUV500. However the fact remains New Safari Merlin will have to be priced lower than XUV500. XUV's pricing is stunning and I feel only temporary in nature. Will be revised in 3-4 months time and fall in same bucket as Aria once revised.
Have to admit that inspite of being a Tata fan I think Tata made two blunders. 1. Launching a Van shaped vehicle instead of a SUV in a price band above Safari.
2. Delay in launching Safari Merlin
This is going to make the average buyer loose interest. There are Safari lovers who will wait but that group is samll in number. To do better business (volume) Tata has to please a bigger audiance by virtue of appeal of the product and right pricing.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:21   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingStripes View Post
I do not think that the Merlin can compete with the XUV 500, unless the Merlin is prices 2L lesser than the XUV 500.
Safari and XUV ? Nah, Aria and XUV it should be. I dont think new Safari will sit all 7 front facing like the XUV or Aria for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Tata have started airing the Safari ads starting at 7.95L is this strategy to dispose off old Safari and by Depavali introduce new look Safari?
Old advt; been there for sometime now right?
Old 14th October 2011, 17:01   #1013
Senior - BHPian

No news from any of the scoopsters in the Merlin for a while? I heard that Tata is taking time and a good long look at the Merlin to see what else they can do to either take on the XUV or bring down the price? These are completely unsubstantiated rumors, so was looking for some clarification hopefully on this thread.

A dealer told my colleague when he went to Test the Aria that the Merlin should be launched in 3 months. I know one can't trust dealers, but some news is better than none :P
Old 14th October 2011, 23:26   #1014
BHPian

Now the ball is entirely in tata s court. they can either score a winner here by launching merlin at an attaractive price by undercutting the XUV or make another blunder as they did in the case of ARIA and kill a wonderful product right at the day of the launch.
Old 15th October 2011, 00:08   #1015
BHPian

Tata must price the top end Merlin at least 2L cheaper to XUV 5OO. As for interiors, features on a SUV now XUV 500 has set the realistic price band 11-13L and at 14L price XUV-AWD with A/T and sunroof is a deliverable possibility.

Tata has matched its refresh Sumo gold GX price at 6.8L with Bolero yet it seems Tata not yet learnt addiing value additions like ABS at this opportunity once again.
Old 15th October 2011, 00:36   #1016
BHPian

So now that the merlin is right around the corner what do you all say will the discounts on the current safari get even better ?? And if they will then by how much?? I am thinking of getting a safari but dont know weather to wait for the merlin or to go for the current one when the discounts get better
Old 15th October 2011, 10:27   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I am thinking of getting a safari but dont know weather to wait for the merlin or to go for the current one when the discounts get better
In same boat here. I have a threefold confusion now:

1. Wait for merlin and buy merlin based on its specs without waiting for it to stabilize?

2. Wait for merlin to expect price drop in Safari and buy Safari? But what if they stop upper variants on launch of merlin?

3. The new kid XUV creates a much lauded option in same price range. Just makes the decision to buy Safari a little shaky, unless there is a specific reason to still go with Safari.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:23   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
In same boat here. I have a threefold confusion now:

3. The new kid XUV creates a much lauded option in same price range. Just makes the decision to buy Safari a little shaky, unless there is a specific reason to still go with Safari.
After the official review out on the XUV, Safari is no option at all, expect if you are constrained on the budget. But look a the long term, support for a fading model v/s upcommig model, loss of features v/s laden with features, according to the review handling and comfort on the XUV is miles ahead of Safari.

May not be an option if you need the car immediately (XUV will not be available in your hands atleast for the next 4 -5 months).

But I can concur with you, its a tough decision now for SUV buyers!
Old 15th October 2011, 13:26   #1019
Senior - BHPian

As things stand currently, IMO only three type of buyers should buy a new Safari

1) Those whose wallets are already stretched while buying a Safari LX. In which case XUV is a further Rs 2.8L-3L away, and they will be really straining their finances.

2) People who need a average to above average 4X4 capabilities in good comfort at a price of 10L - 11L. In which case Safari should be a good choice.

3) People who for some reason have to buy a SUV in a matter of a week or two and can't wait any further for whatever reason.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 13:44   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

1) Those whose wallets are already stretched while buying a Safari LX. In which case XUV is a further Rs 2.8L-3L away, and they will be really straining their finances..
Exactly ..
We already have a accent and a wagon R for city commutes , and more over a thar has been added to the family so offroad trips will be handeled in that
So the best option that we have finalised upon is the sAfari lx . Now the only question is how further will the price of an lx go down ?
2) And by when ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks