Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 17:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Existing Safari : All 4x4 versions except for the VX 4x4 have been stopped / discontinued. Few might be left in dealer stock.
A very sad news indeed, if true :(
Old 24th November 2010, 18:01   #92
BHPian

there is a positive side too, resale value of the existing ex, gx 4x4 versions would go up a bit

when i called up showroom for something else, i checked if they got any news about 4x4 versions available in VX trim going forward, they said they have no clue about this but it could be that dealers are kept in the dark.
Old 24th November 2010, 19:49   #93
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
there is a positive side too, resale value of the existing ex, gx 4x4 versions would go up a bit

when i called up showroom for something else, i checked if they got any news about 4x4 versions available in VX trim going forward, they said they have no clue about this but it could be that dealers are kept in the dark.
4x4 VX is very much available. Though the delivery period might be delayed. (they are manufactured in very few numbers).
Old 24th November 2010, 20:08   #94
MAS
Senior - BHPian

If this is the facelifted Safari Merlin (or anything else they want to call it), i like it.

Even though the picture quality is bad, the interiors look several notches above the exiting Safari. The blue lights are cool and the ACC looks upmarket too. The A/C vents looks better and the dash board seems to have more curves with good share of storage space.

To me the front looks like a XYLO with "stretched" headlamps. Why TATA, Why? . The rear light cluster looks to be simple combination, but bigger (Terracan type).

I hope to see more pictures on this forum.
Old 25th November 2010, 10:40   #95

Some more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image0011.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image0041.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image0051.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image0091.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image0101.jpg  

Old 25th November 2010, 11:27   #96
Team-BHP Support

The glass-house is almost identical to the Safari's. So this is just a refreshed Safari. A facelift that extends the already elongated life of the Safari in India. Something that's going to by Tata some time before they introduce the 'all-new' Safari based on the Aria platform. Don't get me wrong. The Safari is an incredible vehicle, but Tata needs to introduce a brand-new one. It's high time!
Old 25th November 2010, 13:28   #97
Senior - BHPian

Although not very clear in the pictures the interiors seem to be all new. This although was a necessity since it wasn't very good from day one.

From the picture, the wheels seems to be further apart giving it a wider stance. Also removing the spare wheel and bringing all that mass under the chasis will help with its handling (although this not in any way a Safari strength). I hope Tata can shed some weight from this car, this will help its performance a great deal.

A major reason the Safari has had a long model cycle is because of the state of domestic SUVs. This will change once the Mahindra world SUV is launched giving it a run for its money, until and unless it has a significant price advantage than the Mahindra!!
Old 25th November 2010, 14:39   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Also removing the spare wheel and bringing all that mass under the chasis will help with its handling
Don't think relocation of 40 odd kgs would make a difference to handling!! Moreover, I am sure many of us Safari fans will miss the spare wheel on the rear door :(
Old 25th November 2010, 15:54   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Ooooops ! Q2, 2011 !! Thats Loooooooooooooong way ! I dont think for a mere refreshed version, TATA would take that much time ! there could be more than just cosmetic updates!

On top it, why would they discontinue the top Vx 4x4 variant if this is coming late? Just cant make a logic out of anything !

I hope there is considerable improvement in the so-called facelift also !

And a striking ALL-NEW-Safari too !
Old 25th November 2010, 15:56   #100
Senior - BHPian

(+ ve) I like the high bonnet line. That is what makes Sumo Grande ( otherwise not a looker ) and Fortuner appear so much butch and intimidating from the front.

(-ve). I think an SUV is incomplete without a spare wheel at the back.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:35   #101
BHPian

My personal opinion...it looks too odd to me...more like a patch work on the existing safari...

First they made the 2.2 odd by changing that spare wheel cover to "T" and now they are removing it altogether. I guess they could not find a solution to tail gate rattle hence removed it altogether rather than fixing the issue

its like a hostile Takeover of Safari by Sumo...however I am hopeful about that dashboard..it may come out to be very good in the end..My biggest issue is with the spare wheel and those taxi type headlights.. infact moving back to the TCIC twin headlamp with one projector lamp can be considered a forward move :-)

Its only my personal opinion friends...
Old 25th November 2010, 17:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
On top it, why would they discontinue the top Vx 4x4 variant if this is coming late? Just cant make a logic out of anything !
Who said VX 4X4 is going to be stopped. As far as the insider information posted above [previous page], its the other way - That is, All 4X4 except the VX 4X4 is going to be stopped.

Prem.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:54   #103
Senior - BHPian

My Dad said,The codename of this vehicle was SAFARI 18, and it was supposed to be complete in 18 months. but they took 3 years too make this.
Old 25th November 2010, 19:48   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Overall the interiors look drastically changed/improved. However, third row seating is still side facing. This is a big disappointment atleast for me.
Old 25th November 2010, 20:58   #105
BHPian

Anyone noticed the AC contols, it looks like it will come to climate control,
the dials looks well lit and completely new dials.

-MUKE
Closed Thread

Most Viewed