Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 21:18   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Overall the interiors look drastically changed/improved. However, third row seating is still side facing. This is a big disappointment atleast for me.
It might be an Innova like fold design.

Prem.
Old 25th November 2010, 22:28   #107
BHPian

as for me, i don't really like what they have done to the front.
looks like a half-hearted effort
all they have seem to managed is to spoil the timeless look the current gen safari had.
this sleek front looks mismatched to the huge glasshouse it still has.

the only plus point seems to be better interiors and hopefully a rattle free tailgate
Old 25th November 2010, 23:22   #108
BHPian

The first spy pic looked intriguing but honestly this doesn't look interesting, while the fornt and headlights have changed the rest of the car is the same, more of a rehash, minor facelift that maintains the things about safari that don't appeal to me, the narrow width, length and awkward design of the side windows. IMHO it doesn't make for a stable ride.

A wider, lower and perhaps shorter SUV will make for a more stable ride, the Safari hasn't changed much in 10 plus years, that's too much time for a car to remain relavant and exciting. Hopefully Tata can deliver a much better SUV with the new Aria platform.
Old 26th November 2010, 02:31   #109
BHPian

I think you have worked hard to Kill the stunning, masculine looks which Tata Safari Has, this newer version, if its still Safari is certainly going to be a BAD IDEA.

I opened a similar thread(with request to merge) but after showing my friend this ugly stuff, a few moments back, he yelled in shock, has just said, i am going to sleep as he will be running to bank tomorrow morning to get his loan work started, says he don't want to go for a newer UGLY version and would like to buy as soon as possible for the sake of that Boys Toys Looks Safari Had.

Anyway in the end, atleast one Safari is going to be picked up in hurry, LOL
Old 26th November 2010, 04:31   #110
BHPian

Looks like a refresh job to me, the profile is painfully similar to the old model. Rear 3 quarters definitely reminds me of the Land Rover which is not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but the front and the the windshield leaves a lot to be desired and all of this together just looks dated.

As mentioned earlier the original Safari was a path breaking vehicle as far as the visuals were concerned and one of the best USP's of the vehicle. Hope this is not the replacement Tata has been building for the last so many years!
Old 26th November 2010, 08:38   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
It might be an Innova like fold design.

Prem.
In Innova the back rest is folded down and the whole seat is folded to the side. The right side hinge will be on top once the seat is folded to the side. Besides the seat sticks out a little. This doesn't appear to be the case with the Merlin. It looks just like the current Safari's side seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I think you have worked hard to Kill the stunning, masculine looks which Tata Safari Has, this newer version, if its still Safari is certainly going to be a BAD IDEA.
The current Safari is a good looking beast and there is not much reason to mess with the exterior looks. Tata had to only work on the interiors and Quality Control. But, I guess from a Marketing perspective, Tata wants to show a *new* safari which will require some cosmetic changes in the exterior as well. In my opinion it doesn't look half as bad as the gaudy front of the latest *mighty muscular* Scorpio.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:02   #112
BHPian

Is it only me? The back somehow reminds me of the Ritz and that is a definite turn off if it is so. Otherwise I think it looks good.
Old 26th November 2010, 14:31   #113
BHPian

good one from tata
lets hope they carry forward their good work from Manza
Old 26th November 2010, 17:12   #114
Senior - BHPian

Those rear jump seats are pointless other than the fact that on paper it makes the Safari a 7 seater. Its not even comfortable for kids especially on longer journeys. Perhaps the increased seating also brings taxation benefits.

Why not make Safari a 5 seater, saving both money and weight. The jumpseats can be an option for anyone who needs it. Ideally its best if Tata can manage 3 front facing seat rows into the car.
Old 27th November 2010, 15:14   #115

Definitely if Tata is able to rectify the rear seating-third row , a three seater making 8 seater or even middle row split two seater, it will definitely be in better position in market, not avoiding the fact large Indian families can be easily seated with these options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Those rear jump seats are pointless other than the fact that on paper it makes the Safari a 7 seater. Its not even comfortable for kids especially on longer journeys. Perhaps the increased seating also brings taxation benefits.

Why not make Safari a 5 seater, saving both money and weight. The jumpseats can be an option for anyone who needs it. Ideally its best if Tata can manage 3 front facing seat rows into the car.
Old 27th November 2010, 16:16   #116
BHPian

This is dead end for Safari, last thing which Safari has to offer were looks, even which has got dented.
Safari will now RIP.
Old 27th November 2010, 22:42   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
This is dead end for Safari, last thing which Safari has to offer were looks, even which has got dented.
Safari will now RIP.
Really? And you are such an expert at predicting things, huh!
Old 28th November 2010, 06:30   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Safari will now RIP.
In a speculative/scoop thread, this is really really unnecessary. Lets discuss something technical, but not conclude on the un-released product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Really? And you are such an expert at predicting things, huh!
Well said pgsagar

Prem.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:40   #119
BHPian

Me and my friend were just about to book a Safari 4x2 last two months back but at the last moment he changed his mind. Somehow he had a trace about the new 2011 Safari coming out from Tata stable. The wait is going on for the launch. I believe the headlamps look good when it is seen with the vehicle body. At this moment I cannot comment on it looking in a 2D picture. Its completely new aesthetics might grab the attention of the Safari lovers.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:50   #120
BHPian

Looking at the past of Safari there is only one direction the new model has to go and that is forward. On looks front some may like it some may not. As long as there is progress in the interiors and mechanical bits we will always have a better product at the end. My feeling is this vehicle is aleady on X2 platform. Reason being the floor mounted spare wheel. I mean can the old chasis accomodate that?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed