Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2011, 11:10   #1246
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Good, Merlin looks good to me! and well put together.

That grill looks awesome!
Old 24th December 2011, 11:27   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Looks!....if the Quality is right, this will be my replacement three years down the line for my Scorpio......at first glance, it certainly looks better than the XUV....a testimony to the sheer timelessness of the original Safari design!

Please TATA- Get this one right.....you owe it to all the Safari junkies out there!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 11:38   #1248
BHPian

Looks nice in the uncovered pics, if priced right, this can shake the Scorpio. Provided TATA does considerable QA, before making it available in market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Superb! But why does it have the name Safari instead of Merlin?
I think they might want to capitalise on the brand image which the safari has(not in terms of reliability ).
Old 24th December 2011, 11:44   #1249
BHPian

My thought & taste - Front Chrome strip would be better justified with the "S A F A R I" text embossed on it similar to that of "R A N G E R O V E R".

To me, Front looks simple and neat unlike unnecessary curves and lines carved out by other recent SUV releases & updates.

If someone can get a similar pics of the REAR/TAIL GATE, it would be good too

TATA, Bring this up and shake the UV segment in its category. Of course, price it sensibly, not necessarily cheap though.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 11:58   #1250
BHPian

I differ on the challenges it may pose to any of its competitors.
The real reason behind those sales of Safari (Whatever the figures be) even with those never ending niggles, was its masculine appeal that made it stand out. (I believe most of the owners will agree to this)
With this new design it seems Tata has lost it all (I wish they are not going the MUL Zen way).
Firstly what in this world (and who stupid designer) made them to shun that Rear door wheel?
It has all gone from SUV to MUV. Look at it and femininity is out loud.
I think what needed for an image makeover and re-launch was only a new platform, better, efficient, reliable and silent engineering with contemporary interiors and slight exterior modifications. Not at all you change the whole vehicle and its USP appeal.
Old 24th December 2011, 13:47   #1251
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Honda Monk. First reaction is not positive, if not downright negative.

That said, my brother in law on his way back from Mumbai recently, caught up with one of these at a petrol pump just after the toll. Instead of the normal test driver/s, there was a team of 4 engineers inside. My brother in law, also an engineer, struck up a conversation with them, and they said that while the engine is the same 2.2 Dicor with the same specs on paper, its tuning and character is way different (better) which can be seen on the road.

These guys alongside an Innova thundered past my brother in law's Accent which was doing around 120-130. Apparently it rapidly left the Innova quite a way behind on a long straight.

The interiors looked spacious and quality seems to have improved overall and the dash too is simple and elegant with some recessed lighting. However, the not so good news as per the engineers is that it will be side facing 3rd row only.

Oh yes, they also said that they were "clearing stocks" with regard to the Aria, and that the Safari price will be a "big surprise."

Last edited by ebonho : 24th December 2011 at 14:03.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 13:47   #1252
BANNED

According to Vicky.in the name of the vehicle is Safari Storm. Name copied from Bolero Storm?

New Tata Safari Storm to be launched at the Auto Expo | Vicky.in | India Automobile Blog
Old 24th December 2011, 14:36   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Yummy! Front looks good! Going by the history of the Safari, am sure the rear won't have anything major to complain about. However, the 2.2 DICOR still remains the best looking of all the Safari variants, IMO.

For me, this is definitely worth a look after another year or two of Scorpio ownership and funds accumulation.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 24th December 2011, 14:45   #1254
BHPian

not sure if i caught it right, but on a very recent trip to kerala via coorg, i did see a black merlin (seeing the backside it looked so) and it was flying.

When i checked New Tata Safari Storm to be launched at the Auto Expo | Vicky.in | India Automobile Blog, it reminded of the old fortuner (the first pic). This ain't going to sell in numbers if the qc is bad, knowing the problems owning one currently (and better train the technicians in their dealerships to handle issues than bad mouthing tata !)

The big pics reminds of the 3.0ltr Dicor front, and overall ok but falls below expectations as they could have done some better changes to have it placed on par (or higher) with competition. If only wishes were true.

Eagerly waiting.
Old 24th December 2011, 16:35   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Will be surprised if they name it "Storm". The Bolero has already taken away the Storm name.
Old 24th December 2011, 17:06   #1256
Senior - BHPian

When I first saw these pictures of the undisguised Safari Merlin today morning, the first reaction was 'wow'! You have to hand it over to guys at Tata as far as styling goes (for the Indian manufacturers, that is).

The new face of the Safari looks cool, fresh, upmarket and classy at the same time. That the overall shape has been retained just goes to show thew timelessness of the original Safari's design. I am still sure that when the Safari Merlin and XUV 500 are parked side by side, its the former that takes the cake for me, by miles. I just can't wait for the unveiling.
Old 24th December 2011, 17:40   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Looks very desirable. I hope they have retained the 4x4 underpinnings of the existing Safari as an option, and not diluted it going the Aria way, else it wont be able to weather a real storm the way the existing brute does.
Old 24th December 2011, 18:00   #1258
BHPian

This safari looks very similar to the current gen safari. Only the front grill had some modifications. And it is good that they retained the old looks. It looks stunning always.

I just hope they improve the quality of interiors and develop a problem free vehicle. If that is the case, my safari will be replace by this one after 2 years. (2 years should be enough to gauge the reliability of this new vehicle)
Old 24th December 2011, 21:07   #1259
AVR
BHPian

Am in love. Again. Let the first few roll out without breaking down and I'll be waiting with my savings! lol.
Old 24th December 2011, 22:21   #1260
BHPian

Team,

Here is a pic showing the tailgate:

New Safari Merlin Images | Wallpapers | Photos - Showing Tata-Safari-Merlin-New-1.jpg

The removing the spare wheel was one undesirable move, but the redesigned tailgate is not as elegant looking either.

Why do upgrades / facelifts have to look worse (comparatively) than original?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks